U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2007, 12:35 PM

6 posts, read 23,767 times

Advertisements

Is there a public NON-Smoking law in Pa?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2007, 01:45 PM

1,516 posts, read 6,098,053 times
Nothing state-wide yet. You'd have to check with Lansdale city hall. Scranton is the only place in PA that I know of at the moment with an indoor smoking ban. Of course, there could be more that I don't know about.

Old 03-06-2007, 11:36 AM

30,601 posts, read 68,166,358 times
Dawne is correct. I believe Scranton is the only area of PA outside of Philadelphia that has a public smoking ban. However, Governer Ed Rendell is supposed to be lobbying the state legislature to consider action on a statewide ban at some point later this year or next year. The ban in Scranton continues to be extremely controversial, pitting one half of the city against the other half. Many city residents are fleeing to the suburbs to smoke while dining while many suburbanites (including myself and many friends) are flooding into the city to dine in a non-smoking atmosphere. The ban in Scranton has begun to hurt the bottom lines of many city businesses, so this may cause a greater sense of urgency in considering the statewide ban.

Old 03-06-2007, 03:35 PM

4,084 posts, read 8,144,221 times
The smoking ban in Erie Pa was just thrown out and puts the ban in Scranton basically in the same boat. It was illegal for Erie to pass this ban and thus the Scranton ban is illegal as well. Philly is the only city in the state that meets the population requirement to pass a smoking ban based on the previous pennsylvania clean air act. The Scranton bans days are numbered now that the Erie ban has been thrown out.

Old 03-06-2007, 04:16 PM

2,178 posts, read 6,797,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
The smoking ban in Erie Pa was just thrown out and puts the ban in Scranton basically in the same boat. It was illegal for Erie to pass this ban and thus the Scranton ban is illegal as well. Philly is the only city in the state that meets the population requirement to pass a smoking ban based on the previous pennsylvania clean air act. The Scranton bans days are numbered now that the Erie ban has been thrown out.
That's another reason I'm glad I live in Philly.

Old 03-06-2007, 09:42 PM

30,601 posts, read 68,166,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
That's another reason I'm glad I live in Philly.
Agreed. As soon as the Scranton ban is overturned, I'm going to stop making it a point to head into town to eat more often than usual in hopes that businesses that were "struggling" on account of the smokers leaving town won't notice a difference in their bottom lines after the ban is repealed, hence proving that non-smokers can likewise "vote with their feet" and boycott Scranton. If the little restaurants and pubs in Center City were properly-ventilated, then I'd have absolutely no problem sharing my dining areas with smokers. However, I don't appreciate smelling like an ashtray when I just wanted to have a good meal and support the downtown. Your "right to smoke" STOPS at MY "right to not have my clothing/lungs attacked by your exhaust." Why is it that NJ and NY are always so much more....well...PROGRESSIVE when it comes to social issues? Both states, to my knowledge, have restrictions on cell phone usage while driving, and NY officers can actually pull you over if they observe you with a cell phone glued to your ear. NJ has finally legalized same-sex unions, showing that it is the next state to grant civil equality to its residents. If that same question were to come onto the PA ballot, I already know what the outcome would be. NY has been very active in banning trans fats, and I believe NJ is soon to be following suit. Then you have PA---the land that time forgot. While I love NEPA, I don't appreciate the fact that we're still viewed as being "backwater" for the social reasons I just mentioned. We'd rather pick up a gun and shoot our problems in this state as opposed to trying to work them out, as is done in most other Northeastern states.

Old 03-07-2007, 12:06 AM

4,084 posts, read 8,144,221 times
I am for the ban but the reality is they rushed it and its illegal and poorly copy and pasted togther. If they would have taken the time to do it then it would have been done right. This is a challenging piece of legislation considering the legality of it, and they threw it together and put it into effect in like less than 30 days.. Doesn't seem well thought out and now its going to bit them all in the butt, and make them look like idiots. Patience and research would of made the difference between having the right ban for the right reasons then losing the ban because it was thrown together for the wrong reasons. Another example of incompetience on the part of the our current admin.

Old 03-07-2007, 10:34 AM

4,100 posts, read 7,787,904 times
The ban is uncostitutional. This country was founded on the principles live free or die! The Republicrats keep taking away our rights. Vote Liberterian! Or save the Republican Party and bring it back to the ideals of Goldwater!

Old 03-07-2007, 03:15 PM

222 posts, read 1,288,862 times
Several Areas in central Pennsylvania have had similar ordinances discussed, one came to a vote in Harrisburg, but lost. I don not smoke, and I dont think it's fair that it is banned, however I only go to places that are non smoking. It makes you smell gross, ruins your lungs and clothing. But i dont think it's fair to ban it.

Old 05-02-2007, 09:47 PM

942 posts, read 1,090,787 times
How do you think people with asthma feel, its not just a case of smelling like a ashtray when in areas where people smoke for them as me, it is very uncomfortable to breath, and if it is a asthma trigger, then one has to avoid it at all costs or risks the attack, which can be a death sentence for some of us. This week I believe 3 more state enacted no smoking state wide. Arizona, Illinois, and New Mexico. I would think Pennsylvania and Oregon the so called liberal progressive state would have enough smarts to have one. I have noticed though in both states there seems to be a huge number of smokers to begin with, which is probably why smoking bans are overturned in Oregon and PA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or