U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 12-31-2008, 03:31 AM

11,744 posts, read 17,397,081 times
Default PA...many towns with the stores with apartments above it?

One thing I've consistently noticed and REALLY liked is that Pennsylania has MANY towns of all sizes with more density...and particularly stores with apartments above it.

LESS of the zoning restrictions...business way over there and residential way over there and drive between the two of them.

Is that an accurate assessment of PA? If so, I certainly LIKE it! Anyone seen any other cities/towns in other states with as much as they see in PA?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2008, 12:19 PM

149 posts, read 391,327 times
Delray Beach, Boca Raton, Fort Lauderdale and the City of Miami Beach all have newer condominium buildings which have first floor retail that is actually occupied. The City of Miami has mandated retail on the ground floors of new residential high-rise buildings but it is not as successful. downtowndelraybeach.com has pictures of some of the buildings

Old 12-31-2008, 11:28 PM

281 posts, read 379,418 times
The neighborhood that I use to live in had many apartments above the retail section in Pittsburgh. It was cool. I always wondered what it would be like to live on the second floor above the retail business district of my neighborhood. It would be great for people watching.

Old 01-01-2009, 08:56 AM

2,727 posts, read 5,049,584 times
The storefront/apartment description above really isn't accurate for many places in Pennsylvania. However, it is accurate in many places because many Pennsylvania towns have been around a long time and were already decent-sized before World War II (i.e. pre-suburbanization).

Old 01-01-2009, 11:20 AM

10,034 posts, read 15,402,935 times
It's true around here in the Lehigh Valley but it was like that in the small town I grew up in lower Delaware as well. Just a good use of space, I guess. I'm assuming the original owners lived above the stores they owned themselves until they could afford to buy a larger, separate living space.

As for zoning restrictions, that can be drastically different from county to county, town to town, etc.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 01-01-2009, 05:03 PM

463 posts, read 913,598 times
In most areas developed before 1950, it is true. There are great towns all over PA that have multi-used buildings. Even towns with suburban sprawl often have a classic small-town center.

Old 01-02-2009, 12:01 AM

3,134 posts, read 5,415,185 times
The saloons in Westerns had rooms upstairs like Ms Kitty on Gunsmoke. If you build a store why not put an apt. on top. Use it as your home or rent it out to help put a dent in the mortgage. In Kansas City I lived in apt. above a grocery store. Places like that aren't unique to PA.

Old 03-22-2011, 11:58 PM

3 posts, read 1,654 times
Looking to rent store near Honesdale, PA with Apt. on top to live in. ANY HELP in finding one? Richie

Old 03-23-2011, 12:02 AM

3 posts, read 1,654 times
Default Need Store To Rent

Looking to rent store RIGHT AWAY with Apt (or house) to live in near Honesdale or Stroudsberg, PA ANY HELP in finding one? Richie [EMAIL="ssgrdh@yahoo.com"]ssgrdh@yahoo.com[/EMAIL]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania