Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-01-2009, 12:34 PM

6 posts, read 60,363 times

Advertisements

I am interested in moving to York, PA. I want to stay close to Baltimore but I will be working in Mechanicsburg, PA. What is the best location for getting to 83 so I can get to work and Baltimore relatively quickly. I am interested in a good school district. I have one child ready for college but I still have a 16 year old. He is autistic. So if anyone has an idea of the best area to look for a house or maybe a nice lot to build on that has a great special education program please let me know. It seems like York County has a good special olympics program so it probably would be good to stay in that county.

Thanks,

Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2009, 03:08 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,236,966 times
I'd suggest somewhere near Dover, particularly near where US 30 and PA 74 intersect. You'll want to avoid using I-83 for commuting because getting on PA 581 from I-83 is difficult. The area near the US 30/PA 74 intersection (which is near the West Manchester Mall) is only about 3 miles from I-83 and is probably about an hour from Baltimore in good driving (i.e. low traffic) conditions.

Old 01-01-2009, 04:43 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,942,369 times
York Suburban School District has great program for Special Education. If your son is severely autistic, he's going to be serviced by the LIU12 (oversees all special education in 3 counties) however the autistic class for all LIU students at high school level is at York Suburban High School. The students have their own teacher and curriculum, but are integrated into the high school program as much as possible. School district hugs 83 on each side of the Mt. Zion/East Prospect exit 18 and Market Street exits. LIU-Lincoln Intermediate Unit for googling. Home prices in all ranges from low 100's to 1 million. Good apartments as well. If you'd like more information, just PM me. Your commute to Mechanicsburg will be a little tricky, but you can probably figure out the back roads. Commute to mid town Baltimore is about 1 hour with moving traffic and minimal construction or accidents.

Old 01-02-2009, 08:53 AM

6 posts, read 60,363 times
Default Job Training

I really appreciate the information. Stephen isn't severly autistic but he only reads at the 5th grade level but he is enrolled in high school here. He currently is included in three classes (they modify the curriclum for him) and spends the rest of the time in the special education class so it sounds like the program is similar there. My main concern at this point is job training. I really want him to get a job when he gets out that is better than cleaning hotel rooms which seems to be the main focus here. I am heavy involved in Special Olympic here and I am always surprised how we are ignoring these young adults in the workforce. A whole group of willing workers that we just ignore. I don't want my son at 30 spending most of his time in his room watching TV all day.

I mapquested between York and Mechanicsburg and it told me it was only a 35 minute commute. Is there high traffic during rush hours that would result in a lot longer commute?

Thanks,

Tom

Old 01-02-2009, 11:14 AM

2 posts, read 5,579 times
hello I search a italian friend from shoemakersville named totò I want his telephon number. We had knew in SWitzerland, my name is Biagio , somebody can help me?
my mail is negozio.bronte@challengesport.net

Old 01-02-2009, 12:15 PM

2 posts, read 5,579 times
hello I search a italian friend from shoemakersville named totò I want his telephon number. We had knew in SWitzerland, my name is Biagio , he as a pizzeria in shoemakersville name is salvatore fiore somebody can help me?
my mail is negozio.bronte@challengesport.net

Old 01-02-2009, 02:12 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,942,369 times
The commute up 83 and over to Mechanicsburg can be tricky, expecially where everything splits at the top of 83. I believe the road into Mechanicsburg is a highway, not divided, with lots of lights. If they said it was 35 miles, that could easily be up to an hour from York. I don't believe it would be 35 minutes unless it was an early Sunday morning drive.

You could call the LIU12 and ask them what the job placement program is like. I know many of the students leave school early for job training, with a coach, and are able to get continued services through the LIU until they are 21. The main office is in New Oxford~Lincoln Intermediate Unit #12.

Old 04-15-2009, 08:29 PM

7 posts, read 32,199 times
Dover might be a good location for you. It offer's easy access to I-83 and you can get into Mechanicsburg quickly by taking 74 N and then taking the back roads in. It's a pretty drive and it only takes about 25 minutes because you are bypassing the traffic. If you need a copy of the tax rates for each of the York County School Districts let me know and i can email it to you. denise.cable@century21.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania