Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 01:04 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,706,094 times

Advertisements

What are you people talking about "hunkering down in the winter"? You act like we are trying to survive a nuclear winter for God's sake!

I am outside nearly everyday in the winter. I still Jog, I work on the house, I go skiing, I walk the dog, we go ice skating and sledding, I go hunting.

Sorry for the rant, but there is no need to lock yourself in the house and cry all day because the temperature fell below 50 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 01:17 PM

479 posts, read 1,236,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
What are you people talking about "hunkering down in the winter"? You act like we are trying to survive a nuclear winter for God's sake!

I am outside nearly everyday in the winter. I still Jog, I work on the house, I go skiing, I walk the dog, we go ice skating and sledding, I go hunting.

Sorry for the rant, but there is no need to lock yourself in the house and cry all day because the temperature fell below 50 degrees.
It's good that you are still active in the winter and it seems like you are one of those people who really enjoy it. However, we who have lived in warmer climates for years might have a bit of adjusting to do if we moved north. Not saying it couldn't be done, but it would be a big change. It's also harder when you get older. You sound like someone who has liked where you lived and wanted to stay there. Nothing wrong with that!

Old 01-06-2009, 01:23 PM

67 posts, read 198,680 times
Johnny C, believe me, I'd be hunkering down in the winter.........at first, anyway, til I got used to the cold weather again. We complain down here when the high is only in the 50's. Live in the south for 40 years and you'd hunker down, too, when the days are below freezing and there is, yikes, snow on the ground. Yea, I think my dogs would hunker down with me, too.

Come to think of it, while growing up in Patton, all my friends would be out sledding and skiing and having snowball fights...............I was inside hunkered down!

Just a hunkerer at heart, I'm afraid.

Old 01-06-2009, 01:36 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,706,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clem16 View Post
Come to think of it, while growing up in Patton, all my friends would be out sledding and skiing and having snowball fights...............I was inside hunkered down!
Just a hunkerer at heart, I'm afraid.
Fair enough

Old 01-06-2009, 02:07 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,088,200 times
Johnny C I was the same as you when I lived there. And I had to adjust to the heat. But then your body changes and the blood thins(so I am told) and it is tough to handle cold, even Pa cold. But I understand your dismay at us wusses!!

goodgirl49 Actually--for us coming from the South PA home prices will be way higher. For example, I was looking at a four bedroom three bath newish all brick landscaped home with upgrades on a lake in the most upscale gated community here and it going for--$279,000.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:08 AM

469 posts, read 1,451,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tama View Post
Johnny C I was the same as you when I lived there. And I had to adjust to the heat. But then your body changes and the blood thins(so I am told) and it is tough to handle cold, even Pa cold. But I understand your dismay at us wusses!!

goodgirl49 Actually--for us coming from the South PA home prices will be way higher. For example, I was looking at a four bedroom three bath newish all brick landscaped home with upgrades on a lake in the most upscale gated community here and it going for--$279,000.
I am in the same boat. We are moving from Houston to PA this year. Man, it is so much more expensive there. I was shocked when I first started looking around. Also, my husband and I are the casual weekend drinkers and your liquor laws are unusual. We can go any day of the week to the grocery store, gas station, wherever, to buy beer and wine. Beer is available in 6, 12, 18 & 24 packs. Liquor stores Monday -Saturday for the hard stuff. I have start memorizing where/when I can go for "supplies" when we get there. You know, the important things.
But I will take all the good and bad of moving for the experience of living there. I love the winter (lived in Michigan for awhile,) and was outside practically everyday during it. Can't take the heat & humidity of Houston anymore. Very good trade up, IMO.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:18 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,089,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephanie P View Post
I am in the same boat. We are moving from Houston to PA this year. Man, it is so much more expensive there. I was shocked when I first started looking around. Also, my husband and I are the casual weekend drinkers and your liquor laws are unusual. We can go any day of the week to the grocery store, gas station, wherever, to buy beer and wine. Beer is available in 6, 12, 18 & 24 packs. Liquor stores Monday -Saturday for the hard stuff. I have start memorizing where/when I can go for "supplies" when we get there. You know, the important things.
But I will take all the good and bad of moving for the experience of living there. I love the winter (lived in Michigan for awhile,) and was outside practically everyday during it. Can't take the heat & humidity of Houston anymore. Very good trade up, IMO.
Believe it or not, the liquor rules are S L O W L Y being modernized. I think about half of the state stores (where you can buy wine and liquor) are open Sundays. Also, many beer distributors are now open on Sundays. They are trying to allow beer distributors to sell more than just cases (of 24). I think this will eventually pass but there seems to be many special interests fighting for this and that. If you move here, you can always send a letter to your state reps about how you think the liquor rules need to be updated.

I think PA's liquor rules are silly and largely useless. Some group, somewhere, must think that we are better off because it's hard to buy alcohol, but I don't believe there's hard data anywhere that proves that PA has less alcohol abuse.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:25 AM

1,354 posts, read 4,088,200 times
Hey now---what is this alcohol stuff? I don't remember, except for the state stores. (We have beer in the grocery and can buy anytime. Wine and liquor in retail stores. In Alabama wine in grocery stores anytime.)And I was surprised on one visit when my sister had to get beer from a distributor---what is that all about? I guess I never bought beer there LOL!!

Old 01-07-2009, 08:26 AM

80 posts, read 201,522 times
I have already made the decision to go home (PA).
Yes the winters on the east coast can be a pain, but I am so tired of no water, no family, no grass, no rain, and only two seasons!
I really dislike the west!

I want floods and snow, and ice and all that stuff that makes you want to sit in front of a fire with hot chocolate and that someone special to warm you up.
That is the most fun of winter.

Old 01-07-2009, 08:37 AM

80 posts, read 201,522 times
Tama, there has (for as long as I can remember) been strict law on booze in PA.
There are still dry towns in Pennsylvania, no bars, no liqueur stores,,nothing.

I know of a few towns there that you can not have even a beer outside your home where your neighbor may see.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania