Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 10:11 PM

47 posts, read 198,071 times

Advertisements

I've posted threads here before but it's now confirmed that we are moving to the Erie area in late December. I'm having a really hard time narrowing down which communities are worth considering.

We've pretty much decided that we will not live in Erie proper due to the inconsistent school district.

I've listed our priorities below along with the areas in which we are still considering.

1. Good Schools
2. Small Town Feel
3. Housing bang for your buck
4. Proximity to grocery stores and other shopping
5. Good youth sports programs
6. Access to downtown Erie for work (don't mind 30 minute commute but can't be in an area that has road closures often during the winter)
7. Nice downtown area

Here are the areas we are still considering (in no particular order)

Girard
Fairview
Millcreek
North East
Waterford
Edinboro

We could use as much info on each community as possible. Ideally we are looking for a 3 or 4 bedroom home to rent initially for $700-$1000 a month. We will be buying after a year or two once we feel comfortable in the area we select.

We really want to rent in the same community that we will buy so that we don't have to move the kids from school to school after a few years.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as it has been extremely hard to find solid info about any of these areas online including homes to rent.

Cheers
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2008, 10:21 PM

55 posts, read 189,933 times
Millcreek: about 55,000 population, very good schools, suburban sprawl for the most part, some very nice older neighborhoods, borders Erie, low crime, numerous stores/mall, great youth sports

Fairview is a wealthier suburb, less shopping though, otherwise pretty similar to Millcreek

Waterford: further away, nice little historic downtown, offers less

NorthEast: Nice downtown, distance is negative in winter, scenic area

Edinboro: college town, 20 miles south, BAD drive in winter

Girard: just west of Fairview

overall, unless you want the small town feel, i'd look in Millcreek

Old 12-08-2008, 04:16 AM

955 posts, read 4,089,728 times
We're in Millcreek, we've been here about 15 years now. Both our kids went to Millcreek schools and did well, both went on to graduate from Penn State. I have nothing negative to say about the other locations, but both Waterford and Edinboro are in the snow belt. We did a lot of investgating, especially schools before we moved, and I have no regrets with our choice. Millcreek lacks the classic downtown, but there are enough downtown type services that you'll never miss it. PM me for more information.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:06 AM

41,959 posts, read 75,183,468 times
Girard and North East are the best of what remains of the classic small town. The drive in winter will be mostly OK, unless there's a blizzard; then you'd stay home anyway. There's basic shopping in North East, but more big box shopping in the Girard area than in North East; my friends that live in North East don't seem to mind the tradeoff.

Old 12-08-2008, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pj3000 View Post
Millcreek: about 55,000 population, very good schools, suburban sprawl for the most part, some very nice older neighborhoods, borders Erie, low crime, numerous stores/mall, great youth sports

Fairview is a wealthier suburb, less shopping though, otherwise pretty similar to Millcreek

Waterford: further away, nice little historic downtown, offers less

NorthEast: Nice downtown, distance is negative in winter, scenic area

Edinboro: college town, 20 miles south, BAD drive in winter

Girard: just west of Fairview

overall, unless you want the small town feel, i'd look in Millcreek
How much worse is the commute from Edinboro compared to Girard or North East? I know that at least a few people at the company I will be working for commute in from Edinboro. I realize that it's in the snow belt but I thought that 79 would be safer to drive than city streets or a local highway...

Is this not the case?

Old 12-08-2008, 08:10 PM

55 posts, read 189,933 times
^ The weather is much more unpredictable in the winter between Erie and Edinboro, as Edinboro is at a higher elevation. Girard and North East are approx. the same elevation as Erie. I-79 can get pretty bad between Erie and Edinboro and is definitely more dangerous than city streets. 99 is often better to take from Edinboro since 79 is more subject to white-out conditions.

I wouldn't rule Edinboro out because of that though. Its a nice little town with a lake and has a bit more going on as far as cultural offerings than North East or Girard due to the university's presence. Somewhat more of a country setting than North East and Girard (though both have an agricultural flavor - especially North East with its vineyards) which are more contiguous with Erie proper. And yes, many people who live in Edinboro commute to Erie. The General McClane School District is good too.

Depends on what kind of house you find and what area you like the best.

Old 12-09-2008, 03:36 PM

Thanks all of the information to this point from everyone.

My next question would be about home values. Fairview doesn't seem to be priced higher than most of the other communities in the area but I've heard several times that Fairview is more of an upper class area.

Is this really the case? How would you rank the communities in terms of affordability? Would the average home values go as follows?

1. Fairview
2. Millcreek
3. Edinboro
4. North East
5. Girard
6. Waterford

Old 12-24-2008, 02:22 PM

54 posts, read 148,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amplified View Post
Thanks all of the information to this point from everyone.

My next question would be about home values. Fairview doesn't seem to be priced higher than most of the other communities in the area but I've heard several times that Fairview is more of an upper class area.

Is this really the case? How would you rank the communities in terms of affordability? Would the average home values go as follows?

1. Fairview
2. Millcreek
3. Edinboro
4. North East
5. Girard
6. Waterford

I build multimillion dollar homes in Erie, Millcreek, and Fairview. I would say the only thing that brings Fairview's average home price to be comparable with other areas is that it has a VERY old town center with 100 year old house's that need some work.

If you can afford it, a private school is the best way to go here, as is the case EVERYWHERE.

I grew up in Erie...went to the public schools and to my credit along with my graduating class of '99, I feel better off than most people with similar life styles (like not being from a rich family).

If your interested in building instead of buying...let me know, I will help you out any way I can.

Old 12-24-2008, 02:25 PM

54 posts, read 148,145 times
Also, anywhere in the GMA (greater metro area) is within a 15 to 20 minute drive of Downtown....so while not many of our suburbs have their own downtowns, they do offer shopping and Grocery stores.

Old 12-25-2008, 08:00 PM

We arrived in Erie last night (xmas eve) and need to find a rental home in the next 5-6 days but we can only find rentals in Erie proper online. Anyone have any contacts in town of a property mgt company? We are only considering homes in Millcreek, Girard, Waterford, Edinboro, North East, Fairview and maybe Harborcreek.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania