U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-09-2007, 03:26 PM

34 posts, read 87,666 times
Default Overrated And Nuts

I am sitting here reading post about people who say I am leaving NYC,NJ, LI for Pa because the housing is cheaper and the schools are good and the the property taxes are great!

HELLO first of all the prices of houses in Northampton County,Lehigh County and the Poconos have tripled in the last 3 months;especially if you live near 78 or 80! The Governor has put in a proposal to raise everything in Pa and guess what I love it so much! People from out of state think it is cheaper to live in one state and work in other,it is not! I hope all you people who live here and work in the city have money every year for your new cars that you will have to get, i hope you know that bus money that you use to get back and forth in NYC can be used for little things around the house. Who wants to wake up every morning at 3 o'clock just to make the bus, and get into manhattan and then have to get a cab or taxi just to make it to work JUST ON TIME, I sure as hell know I wouldn't If I get off of work at 3 pm i don't want to just walk into my house at 530-6 (pending traffic), and start my cycle all over again! And if you really think for one mins that this area is not going to get more expensive,WRONG! Pretty soon you are going to start complaining about more than just your commute. Pa is on its way to becoming NJ,NYC,LI!
ANd when it does, you may as well move back to NYC,LI,NJ or move down south, From what my friend told me who lives in FLorida it is not getting any cheaper there neither!
So if PA is so great maybe you should quit your jobs in NYC and find a nice job in Pa, you can't becasue the jobs here are scarce! So that $200,000 job you are making in NYC will become about $50,000 here. I can't wait to move to Long Island!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2007, 03:46 PM

5,742 posts, read 13,920,568 times
Honestly, I can't believe anyone lives anywhere in PA and commutes to NYC. I guess if you really love your job and it pays very well, it might be worth it, but I can't imagine how one's quality of life would be, being out of the home for that many hours a day. And for people with children, it just seems kind of sad. I live in central NJ and I know a family where the father commutes well over an hour each way to NYC...he leaves at 5am and gets home at 7:30pm, right before the kids go to bed. The kids seem to hardly be aware of his existance.

Having said that, the cost of living in PA is still very cheap as per NY/NJ standards...unfortunately for the rest of us, prices in central and southern NJ are skyrocketing as people from NY are moving in, and as people from NY and NJ move into PA, prices are skyrocketing there.

Old 03-09-2007, 03:49 PM

2,835 posts, read 6,993,433 times
Have you ever lived in Long Island?? If not, you are in for a big surprise. If you buy a house, you will get an old house that needs work for about $350,000. minimum. Your real estate taxes will be around $8,000. a year, your electric bill and car insurance will be more than double what you pay now in Pa. EVERYTHING is way more expensive on LI.
I moved to Pa from LI and still ahve relative in LI. I know what the comparison is. They cannot get over how cheap everything here is even with house prices going up. My relatives pay $7,000 a year for car insurance for 3 cars. That is almost $600. a month!
The rrason why so many people are moving here thinking it is cheaper is because they have done their research and it is definitely cheaper.
Even though we took major cuts in pay on our move here, we both found jobs and our home and quality of life greatly improved.
Life on LI is a rat race, except your not racing anywhere, you're stuck in traffic everywhere you go.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:07 PM

222 posts, read 939,422 times
since september 11th, there has been a flood of new yorkers and new jersians coiming here because it's cheaper. a lot of people are kind of upset, they buy up all the real estate at overinflated prices. it causes everyone elses taxes to go upward. the traffic is out of control. i travel to norther new jersey at aleast once a month via i-78 around allentown it is unbelievable! there is a flood of both good well to do people and then also welfare recipiants runining the public housings and causing crime. why dont people move to watertown new york or maine instead?

Old 03-09-2007, 08:19 PM

1,853 posts, read 4,595,105 times
Lots of people live in Bucks County, PA and commute to NYC.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:49 AM

934 posts, read 1,866,926 times
Prices are still much more affordable than NY or NJ. Glad I am here already.
I wouldn't be able to purchase a home like mine in NY or NJ. No way. We don't have to commute to NYC for work either. We work from home. We aren't far from the things we are familiar with either. Florida is way overpriced now also. North Carolina, South Carolina and Georgia are close behind Florida with pricing. Pennsylvania is my home and I am glad that we decided to move here. If the prices go up, they still will be lower than NY or NJ pricing. People are going to move in, build houses, etc. You can't stop that. We are surrounded by country homes with nice size properties. Our property is around 3 acres and they are going to build new estates on 5 to 6 acres on the plot of land behind us. That will only make my home go up in value which is a good thing for the future.
I don't frown upon the new homes, I will look forward to seeing new families around us and enjoy the sounds of children at play.

Old 03-10-2007, 07:59 AM

377 posts, read 346,595 times
There is a lot of people who commute from the Pocono's, Bucks County, Lehigh Valley, and even the Wilkes-Barre/Scranton area who work in NYC, it is amazing! I am a life resident of PA, except for a year I lived in Maryland, and I can say it is causing serious quality of life issues when people move in. The jobs and wages in PA are not as great, then you have property, taxes, etc. going up because of all these imports moving here. Before you know it, you need to make more money, so you are also traveling to Phildadelphia, Baltimore, or NYC like the imports to secure a job which pays 10, 20 or 30K more a year to help curb rising costs.

It is amazing in Lancaster County alone the lifelong residents that are starting to travel well over an hour or two each way to work just to make ends meet, because now PA can charge premium costs since we are such a "desirable" location.

Then, when I say a recession would be good in the long run, people look at me like I killed someone. We need someway to lower costs in PA, and curb growing costs in places like NJ, NY, or LI as well. This type of correction does not happen during prosperous times, like the span of years from 03-06. Afterall, the recession in the early 90's helped a lot of people purchase homes by the mid 90's. Manhatten actually got more affordable in the 90's than it was in the late 80's, during the last real estate bubble.

Old 03-10-2007, 08:05 AM

2,909 posts, read 9,862,190 times
I agree its nuts. Especially the 2 hour commute. Might as well live in NYC and rent an apartment minutes from your job. Time is money and to "waste" hours of your life in traffic doesnt make it worthwhile. Might as well live in a cheap location and take a lower paying job or better yet be self employed and enjoy all the time and a big house for cheap.

Funny thing is I am considering moving from south FL to Oil city, PA but im self employed and Oil city has great prices!

Old 03-10-2007, 09:25 AM

934 posts, read 1,866,926 times
Good for you. It's wonderful up here.

Old 03-10-2007, 12:58 PM

354 posts, read 971,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
Have you ever lived in Long Island?? If not, you are in for a big surprise. If you buy a house, you will get an old house that needs work for about $350,000. minimum. Your real estate taxes will be around $8,000. a year, your electric bill and car insurance will be more than double what you pay now in Pa. EVERYTHING is way more expensive on LI.
I moved to Pa from LI and still ahve relative in LI. I know what the comparison is. They cannot get over how cheap everything here is even with house prices going up. My relatives pay $7,000 a year for car insurance for 3 cars. That is almost $600. a month!
The rrason why so many people are moving here thinking it is cheaper is because they have done their research and it is definitely cheaper.
Even though we took major cuts in pay on our move here, we both found jobs and our home and quality of life greatly improved.
Life on LI is a rat race, except your not racing anywhere, you're stuck in traffic everywhere you go.
Well said!! Can't wait to get out of Long Island.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania