Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-10-2007, 08:41 AM

937 posts, read 2,877,122 times

Advertisements

I was just ready to log on and my husband was calling for me to come quick.
I ran up the basement stairs out to the garage and he was saying "hurry you are going to miss it". He pointed to the driveway and there was a flock of wild turkeys strolling up the hill. There were about 40 of them. I didn't have time to grab the camera but believe me, it was a wonderful sight to see.
I love it here
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 09:33 AM

1,076 posts, read 2,237,563 times
Default Sounds like a wonderful area

I was just wondering, when you say you love it here, where is here? What part of PA are you in? It sounds like a wonderful area, especially with the open space and wildlife, which my husband and I are looking for.

We are planning to move from So. Calif. to PA in about a year from now. We most likely are going to settle in Lehigh County since my mother-in-law is in Allentown. We don't want to live in Allentown, but we don't want to be too far from it.

Old 03-10-2007, 09:59 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,015,028 times
The same thing happened at my mother's house, in Dingmans Ferry, on Thanksgiving! It was funny and a little awkward to be eating turkey, and watch a whole flock of turkeys march past the back door. Perhaps they were protesting? lol

Old 03-10-2007, 10:12 AM

Roseanne, we are in Wyoming County north of Scranton. The area is wonderful and not far from Allentown. You can hop on 81 S and get there real easy.

Christina, it was so cool!

Old 03-11-2007, 09:37 AM

32,602 posts, read 77,235,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by memoriesbre View Post
Roseanne, we are in Wyoming County north of Scranton. The area is wonderful and not far from Allentown. You can hop on 81 S and get there real easy.

Christina, it was so cool!

There have even been recent Bald Eagle sighting right in the city of WILKES-BARRE of all places, near the Susquehanna River! It's refreshing to see an area that was ravaged so much by the dreadful anthracite mining industry rebounding ecologically (I even think there are more fish starting to populate the river again as well). I'm so glad to hear you're enjoying Tunkhannock. If you haven't done so already, try to scope out the latest issue of Happenings Mazagine. The front cover is of the Piatt House on West Tioga Street (that huge Gingerbread Victorian everyone falls in love with and that I had in my photo tour), and there's a wonderful article in there about the current owners and their restoration projects. I think that magazine is truly an asset to this area.

Old 03-11-2007, 10:06 AM

176 posts, read 647,337 times
Default Wildlife in PA

I live in a semi-rural area between Honesdale and Waymart, and sightings of deer and turkey, even in the yard, are daily occurences. Once a yr we spot a bear: one yr saw one crossing rte 6, this summer saw a cub around the corner (no doubt momma was nearby), and a few yrs back had one in the yard checking out the blueberry bushes. When he found the berries weren't yet ripe, he sauntered over to the tree with the bird feeders, stood on his hind legs and plucked one, then carried it in his mouth into the woods like a dog with a bone.
I've seen a few wildcats, including one near Scranton, an occasional beaver, including one at the lake at Promised Land state park, checking us out when we ventured near his dam home, and possum and groundhogs are common around here. Fox sightings are as rare as bear ones, and once I saw an otter, playing on a frozen pond down near Pocono Lake. It was funny to watch him slide across the pond, like kids would do.
I enjoy visiting towns and cities for shopping, dining, etc, but I wouldn't trade in life in the country for anywhere else. Being in touch with nature that's not confined behind a cage or under a roof is an experience that can't be beat

Old 03-11-2007, 11:13 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,558,929 times
You don't see that very often in Center City Philly. LOL

Old 03-11-2007, 12:54 PM

SWB, I have the magazine. That house is wonderful. We pass it all the time.
They have restored it back to it's beautiful historic splender. The magazine is a great asset also. Tunkhannock is a wonderful little town.
We truely love it here. We have a hawk that flies over the property everyday.
He is so striking.
I would love to see a bear at my feeders but not while we are out there LOL

Old 03-11-2007, 06:22 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,726,888 times
And lets not forget the sightings and odors of the good old skunk!
We have a great video of 2 bears that came to visit one summer day. First my hubby was on our front deck with the camera, then they came right up to the deck like a dog wanting to come in, then my hubby is inside, they came up on the front deck, then the back deck and then left. It was quite exciting! I have a friend who was unloading groceries from her car and when she came back for another load, a bear was on his hind legs with his front legs in her trunk sniffing her groceries.
I love seeing deer on a daily basis, but what I love most is watching them play in the snow, they actually PLAY! There is a field behind my house and they take turns running and jumping from one direction to the other.

Old 03-12-2007, 12:39 PM

I haven't seen any deer or bears yet. I can't wait.
Today we saw a little chipmunk. Spring is almost here
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania