Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 12:59 PM

175 posts, read 589,938 times

Advertisements

In 1964 Martha & the Vadellas recorded "Dancing in the Streets". In that song they sing "Philadelphia, PA" and that was long before the postal service changed to to 2 letter state abbreviations.

Song lyrics-

Callin' out around the world, are you ready for a brand new beat?
Summer's here and the time is right for dancin' in the street.
Dancin' in Chicago (dancin' in the street)
Down in New Orleans (dancin' in the street)
In New York City

All we need is music, sweet music,
There'll be music everywhere
There'll be swingin' swayin', and records playin,
Dancin' in the street

Oh it doesn't matter what you wear, just as long as you are there.
So come on every guy, grab a girl,
Everywhere, around the world

There'll be dancin', they're dancin' in the street.
This is an invitation, across the nation,
A chance for folks to meet.
There'll be laughin' singin', and music swingin'
Dancin' in the street

Philadelphia PA., Baltimore and D.C now,
Can't forget the motor city,
All we need is music, sweet music
There'll be music everywhere
There'll be swingin' swayin', and records playin,
Dancin' in the street

Oh it doesn't matter what you wear, just as long as you are there.
So come on every guy, grab a girl,
Everywhere, around the world

They're dancin', dancin' in the street
Way down in L.A., every day they're dancin' in the street
Lets form a big strong line, and get in time,
We're dancin' in the street.
Across the ocean blue, me and you
We're dancin n the street
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2012, 02:00 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by billcephus View Post
you're from Philly and have the nerve to call another place a sh*thole? haha.
meh, camden is a ****hole, new jersey is a bunch of ****holes and the worst stretch of beach on the east coast. Philly has its areas, good and bad, despite what some bucks dbag might say. if you were to remove the good parts, you'd get camden, or maybe trenton.
it is interesting that a whole state, especially one as big as PeeAye, would have adopted the same way of saying it....though I guess it's no different than ordering a lager.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:17 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmike View Post
I prefer PA to Pennsy.
"The Pennsy" was a railroad (1846-1968) RIP-PRR!

Old 02-04-2012, 12:27 PM

16,214 posts, read 11,325,556 times
But speaking seriously for a minute, when I was in primary school, I was taught to use the abbreviation "Penna", and still do, except in the increasingly-likely scenario where something computer-oriented won't allow me to do it.

The only other state that seems to be linked in the public mindset to "two letters - spoken" is Georgia.

I seem to recall that a (very) long time ago, possibly in the 1930's, there was a short-time popular song that made reference to "Shamokin, P-A" maybe somebody else can confirm this.

Old 02-05-2012, 08:06 AM

350 posts, read 477,366 times
The modern two-letter abbreviated codes for the states and territories originated during the Post Office's introduction of ZIP codes in 1963, so it was before the song.

Old 02-07-2012, 12:48 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,272 posts, read 3,706,370 times
I don't think the question is really about where the "PA" abbreviation came from. I think the question is more about why we always refer to our state as "PA" yet other states do not do this.

It has always fascinated me, but is generally accepted and seldom discussed.

Old 02-07-2012, 02:12 PM

889 posts, read 2,573,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
I don't think the question is really about where the "PA" abbreviation came from. I think the question is more about why we always refer to our state as "PA" yet other states do not do this.

It has always fascinated me, but is generally accepted and seldom discussed.
Linguists have some interesting theories on this. They group it in with the examples of LA, KC and DC. The phonetic pronunciation of the two letters is easier to speak and more pleasant sounding than the fully pronounced names, Pennsylvania, Los Angeles, Kansas City, and the District of Columbia.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:16 PM

1,334 posts, read 1,806,421 times
And here we have a sample piece of lyrics from a famous St. Louie musician:

They're really rockin' in Boston, in Pittsburgh, PA.
Deep in the heart of Texas, an' 'round the 'Frisco Bay.
All over Saint Louie, an' down in New Orleans.
All the cats wanna dance with Sweet Little Sixteen.

Sweet Little Sixteen, she's just got to have,
About half a million famed autographs.
Her wallet filled with pictures she gets them one by one
Becomes so excited, watch her, look at her run, boy.

"Oh, mommy, mommy, Please may I go?
It's such a sight to see somebody steal the show."
"Oh, daddy, daddy, I beg of you,
Whisper to mommy, It's alright with you."

'Cause they'll be rockin' on Bandstand, in Philadelphia, PA.
Deep in the heart of Texas an' 'round the 'Frisco Bay.
All over Saint Louie, way down in New Orleans.
All the cats wanna dance with Sweet Little Sixteen.
--- "Sweet Little Sixteen", Chuck Berry, Jan 1958

So the "Pea-Ay" pronunciation goes back at least that far.

As to why, I'm sure it's just to say something that comes out a lot more quickly than "Pennsylvania" while still being understandable. Running through some other two-letter abbreviations in my head, few of them sound as quick, easy, or as distinctively good as "P A".

But who knows, maybe it came from Chuck Berry finding rhymes.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:55 AM

1,271 posts, read 2,592,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
"The Pennsy" was a railroad (1846-1968) RIP-PRR!
I prefer the "PRR" myself.

Or just good'ole "Pennsylvania" like they decorated there motive power with.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:09 AM

199 posts, read 421,128 times
You're not the only state to abbreviate from 'Pennsylvania' to the Postal Code 'PA'.

Connecticut does as well, (not to the same extent, mind you), but again it's a very concise contraction of a larger multi-syllabic name. The youth much more regularly but the occassional middle-aged person will mention CT. It's regularly used in newspapers and by advertisers, so within a generation or two it may be much more regular as is PA to all of you. Massachusetts is regularly shortened to 'Mass' as Pennsylvania was commonly shortened to Penn (or Penna.), while a few other states truncate - New Jersey becomes 'Jersey' for many from the region (and increasingly around the country). It doesn't work for a lot of other places because the phonetic pairings of the initials just isn't natural. Virginia could get away with doing it (VA, 'vee-ay') except it's common reference to a Veteran's Affairs hospital. New York is rarely spoken as NY because the state is two syllables to begin with, but NYC or 'the City' is a common place holder for the City of New York. Across the south you don't see this truncation much. Someone mentioned GA - I've never heard this mentioned colloquially and it is no easier than 'Georgia' to say. Similarly Florida may be shortened in text to FL or FLA, but it's not used when speaking. Louisiana can't get away with LA because the more familiar city of Los Angeles has coopted the initials. Mississippi is on some occassions referenced as Miss. but there is the confusion with outsiders whether one means Mississippi or Missouri. California is the one exception west of the Mississippi where the state name is regularly truncated, as 'Cali', it's big cities LA and San Fran. I would think Minnesota would at some point contract but MN isn't natural and Minn. just doesn't role off the tongue. 'Min'ne'SO'ta' just fits the accent though North Carolina seems a fitting candidate to do it too as it's five syllables and with the influx of newcomers something could catch on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania