Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 11:44 AM

518 posts, read 2,531,703 times

Advertisements

Most of the kids need sent to a place like you were at, but thats not how it is nowadays. some of the worst kids at our school get sent away, but most just go to our school and are babied. Little Johnny (who's 17 years old) needs a time out when he's mad. Give me a break, whats he gonna do when he has a job and wants time outs when he's mad and swearing at people. thats ridiculous. they need their dad to take them behind the shed and give them a whoopin.
but, i do teach there, and we are encouraged to take the students on enriching field trips, so any more suggestions are welcome. i especially like outdoor stuff.
thank you for the suggestions, i will definately look into some of the ideas given and am going to check out the caves and mines (and maybe accidentally leave a few kids in the cave or mine, ha ha ha)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sealerpal View Post
I was a juvenile delinquent when I was a teenager. I was sent to a reform school for two years as a result. The only field trips we got were to the infirmary
after we got our lights knocked out for breaking the rules. My how times have changed. That was only 15 years ago. Now they call it "alternative school". Gimmie a break.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-20-2007, 08:24 AM

54 posts, read 216,581 times
Ic4444, is it Adelphoi?

Old 03-20-2007, 09:56 AM

518 posts, read 2,531,703 times
yes it is. any opinions about the organization?

Quote:
Ic4444, is it Adelphoi?

Old 03-20-2007, 01:16 PM

It would be difficult for me to forge any opinions about Adelphoi Village, since it's
been 15 years since I last walked through the "day treatment" doors. I'm more than certain that the entire program (both in group homes and day treatment) have evolved quite a bit since then.

I will say this, however. The system at Adelphoi did nothing for me. In fact, I was much worse when I was "released". I just learned it wasn't a good thing to get caught. Maturity finally kicked in for me around the age of 17 and that was the end of my "bad days". I think it was a combination of maturity and understand my own mortality which led me in the "right" direction.

I'm 30 now. I'm a homeowner and a business owner. I've never been in any "trouble" since I was a teenager. However, I don't attribute any of that to Adelphoi. In hindsight all Adelphoi did for me was waste two precious years of high school for me with dummied-down curriculum, temporarily brainwash me with it's twisted form of social engineering (the confronting thing...Don't know if they still do that), and shoot me back into public school two years behind everyone else.

One last thing about Adelphoi. My formal charge from both my school and my parents was incorrigibility. I wasn't charged with breaking the law, however many other kids in the day treatment were charged with breaking laws.
Felonies in fact, including one for murder. The kid who was in there for murder
had spent about 4 years in various facilities. He worked his way into a group home where he spent nights, but during the day he came to day treatment. Evidently he blew his best friend's head off, but claimed it was accidental. Nobody ever figured out the truth, but I think he did it on purpose. Anyway he sat next to me. Nice, huh?

Old 03-20-2007, 05:07 PM

1 posts, read 2,851 times
from what i have seen, the system doesn't really seem to help the kids. those that want to change their behavior do, and those that do not want to change do not change. yes, the confronting thing is still there. all that really seems to do is make kids mad at the teachers and caseworkers when they confront them. i'm pretty new there, but i try my best to teach the kids to the best of my ability. it is difficult teaching a class with 15 kids who all got kicked out of their regular school

Quote:
It would be difficult for me to forge any opinions about Adelphoi Village, since it's
been 15 years since I last walked through the "day treatment" doors. I'm more than certain that the entire program (both in group homes and day treatment) have evolved quite a bit since then.

I will say this, however. The system at Adelphoi did nothing for me. In fact, I was much worse when I was "released". I just learned it wasn't a good thing to get caught. Maturity finally kicked in for me around the age of 17 and that was the end of my "bad days". I think it was a combination of maturity and understand my own mortality which led me in the "right" direction.

I'm 30 now. I'm a homeowner and a business owner. I've never been in any "trouble" since I was a teenager. However, I don't attribute any of that to Adelphoi. In hindsight all Adelphoi did for me was waste two precious years of high school for me with dummied-down curriculum, temporarily brainwash me with it's twisted form of social engineering (the confronting thing...Don't know if they still do that), and shoot me back into public school two years behind everyone else.

One last thing about Adelphoi. My formal charge from both my school and my parents was incorrigibility. I wasn't charged with breaking the law, however many other kids in the day treatment were charged with breaking laws.
Felonies in fact, including one for murder. The kid who was in there for murder
had spent about 4 years in various facilities. He worked his way into a group home where he spent nights, but during the day he came to day treatment. Evidently he blew his best friend's head off, but claimed it was accidental. Nobody ever figured out the truth, but I think he did it on purpose. Anyway he sat next to me. Nice, huh?

Old 03-20-2007, 07:28 PM

When I was there, the kids actually "confronted" each other. It was bizarre. The staff could confront too, but rarely did so. There were numerous cases of staff misconduct like punching, slapping, etc. Nothing ever came of it though.

You are completely right though. The kids who wanna change do, the ones who
don't, don't. All kids are bad to some extent. The ones who wind up in Adelphoi just planned their evil deeds poorly and got caught.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:58 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,259 times
Default Getting back to field trips...

I just wanted to throw out Seldom Seen Coal Mine in Patton, PA.
Also, Johnstown National Flood Memorial in St. Michael. They have a "nature hike" that covers the remnants of the dam that broke in 1889.
Also, along the lines of the Allegheny Railroad Historic site is the Staplebend Tunnel trail in Mineral Point (just north of Johnstown). It's a 2 mi "rails to trails" hike and you go through the first railroad tunnel of the Alleghenys. If you continue on the trail, I believe it can take you all the way to Franklin (a boro of Jtwn), but not positive.

Old 04-06-2007, 10:42 PM

598 posts, read 2,268,707 times
I know it's a bit father than you wanted to go, but Gettysburgh is an awesome fieldtrip for this age group! They have lots of events and re-enactments throughout the year and it's a really neat educational experience especially considering the rich history PA has in the settling of our country.

Old 04-07-2007, 05:29 PM

2 posts, read 4,911 times
How about Fort Ligonier or Fallingwater?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania