Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2007, 12:12 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,667,528 times

Advertisements

Just a friendly warning for folks who do move far from Pa. (say Philly to ... anywhere):

You will miss the unique hometown foods like crazy! Heck, the guy laughed at me at a King Kullen in Long Island when I asked for "Pork Roll". He called over a co-worker to ask. Forget Scrapple. It was hysterical when they asked me to (attempt to) even describe it. And NY is so close to Philly!

And forget good South Philly style breads & rolls in Florida-- especially for Hoagies or Steaks. Just forget hoagies & steaks altogether, OK?

Cringed every time I'd see a sign [i]anywhere/I] outside the immediate Phila area advertising "Philly Cheesesteaks". Oh yeah, desperate me always tried them anyway :>)

And, oh the days I would have gladly paid $20.00 for a real soft petzel ... $30.00 for just a real 10 oz. Italian Water Ice, if I could have, on days I was craving them while passing a dozen iced cream shops. (Heck, folks spend that much for their Caviar, right?)

But I could find stale Tastykakes in groceries sometimes, LOL (well, staler than we're used to, anyway). Speaking of stale, know how many loaves of bread I had to buy, sample, & chuck because I was spoiled with Stroehmann's? Had to toast for any sandwiches or settle for Subway's rolls.

We are more spoiled than we realize when it comes to food, folks! I loved Florida, but you can only eat awesome fish for so many days... so many months...

Have to say, Chicago was the only town outside Philly I really enjoyed eating everywhere, though.

Last edited by Travel'r; 03-08-2007 at 12:25 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 01:54 AM

85 posts, read 352,556 times
Any idea if a Chinese from Singapore will be able to fit into Lehigh Valley

Old 03-08-2007, 07:09 AM

652 posts, read 1,269,130 times
Default re

Movingbacktopa should be banned from this board not because she is so uneducated but her prejudist remarks. I don't even understand how she has a lot of friends and how she has a husband with such an attitude!
Quote:
Originally Posted by I LOVE PA! View Post
I applaud katalin for being able to tell 'movingbacktopa' just how she feels. I guess she did it better than I because my last post to her over her prejudiced attitude was deleted. Posts such as hers, getting nasty, and putting down others should not be allowed here. It is her posts that should be deleted.
Her comment..."Furthermore, MOST people I have met in PA (other states as well) have european roots. So why would they hate themselves"
Talk about contradicting yourself!! She professes to dislike NYers, but has she never heard that NY is a melting pot of the world?? Many NYers are not only european, but German as well!! Why would she dislike them???

Old 03-08-2007, 07:14 AM

Default re

if you have an accent, no.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom View Post

Old 03-08-2007, 07:23 AM

for your information "Movingbacktopa" you don't sound like a europien unless you came here young. An europien or a person from any country who come to the USA or any country after age 20 won't loose their accent and don't really use words like: LOL, Yup or the way you write!!!

Old 03-08-2007, 09:48 AM

Default re

I am from Hungary and they still discriminated me because I have an accent. When they look at me they think I am from Puerto Rico (I don't know why, I look Eastern Europien and I have a distinguish accent). Also, when I talked to people on the phone they thaught that I am from China or India and right away they became rude and wanted to talk to my supervisors. My supervisors knew this was a discrimination issue otherwise I would never been promoted!!! I guess this is because a lot of jobs going to these countries and American people are very upset about it. Again this was my experience, you might be luckier. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmom View Post

Old 03-08-2007, 11:21 AM

1,501 posts, read 5,667,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katalin View Post
for your information "and don't really use words like: LOL, Yup or the way you write!!!
Katalin, "LOL" and other type things like that are just "Internet language" abbreviations.

That one means "Laugh out loud" or "Lots of Laughs". You'll see a bunch of them around . IMO, is "In my Opinion"; IMHO, "Humble" is stuck in there, and so forth. WTF, LMAO (Laughing my **** off)...
There's a bunch of these. And folks say "Yup" (in agreement or answering yes).
All kinds of nicknames for words out there. (slang). They especially come in handy when folks type fast - kind of like a little Internet Shorthand, if you will.

Edit: I initially added an "r" in the (censored) word up there; don't want it to seem like it was some real four lettered word I tried to write.

Last edited by Travel'r; 03-08-2007 at 11:26 AM.. Reason: added the "r"

Old 03-08-2007, 12:06 PM

Default re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel'r View Post
Katalin, "LOL" and other type things like that are just "Internet language" abbreviations.

That one means "Laugh out loud" or "Lots of Laughs". You'll see a bunch of them around . IMO, is "In my Opinion"; IMHO, "Humble" is stuck in there, and so forth. WTF, LMAO (Laughing my **** off)...
There's a bunch of these. And folks say "Yup" (in agreement or answering yes).
All kinds of nicknames for words out there. (slang). They especially come in handy when folks type fast - kind of like a little Internet Shorthand, if you will.

Edit: I initially added an "r" in the (censored) word up there; don't want it to seem like it was some real four lettered word I tried to write.
Thank you for your input. I know what Yup and LOL etc... means. Thank you.
I am very much aware of the internet language. We Europians (at least most of us) with an accent that came after 20 years of age don't use the internet language. We try to speak and write the english language as properly as we can so we can be understood by Americans. We don't really like when they say: "I don't understand what you are saying", we don't really have the time to even concentrate on slangs or internet language when we speak or write, when we speak we really have to concentrate pronouncing words correctly or when we write, write them correctly. Now, if you are talking about Europians that came here when they were little and became Americanized than of course they use the internet language and slangs.

Last edited by katalin; 03-08-2007 at 12:28 PM..

Old 03-09-2007, 04:54 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,754,980 times
Just wanted to let you know that the correct spelling is European.

From one to another

dorothy

Old 03-09-2007, 07:23 PM

[quote=okaydorothy;441789]Just wanted to let you know that the correct spelling is European.

From one to another

dorothy

I noticed that, and there was another person let me know about it also but her comment went over the line and it was deleted. I am wondering why do you bother with my spelling why don't you go to another post and DO THE SAME? I can show you some misspelling words in some of the threads!!!! This is about sharing experiences not learning how to spell. If I need an English teacher then I would get one!!!! Mrs. English teacher instead of picking on my spelling why don't you sign up for a spelling bee contest or go to another country and learn their language so we foreigners can also pick on every little word you misspell. This is another subject but can you tell me why here Italian restaurants have a Hungarian flag painted on cups, plates etc...instead of the Italian flag?????? (Italian flag color starts with green, white and red, Hungarian starts with red, white and green.)
NOW EVERYBODY CAN SEE WHY I LEFT PA!!!! I am also LEAVING THIS PA FORUM FOR GOOD!!!!

Last edited by katalin; 03-09-2007 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: FORGOT TO SPELL A WORD OR MAYBE A FEW CORRECTLY
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania