U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-10-2007, 06:52 AM

4,244 posts, read 237,209 times

Advertisements

Oh Katalin
No need to get snippy. I dont live in PA.and I am not an english teacher.

I do think your english is very very good ; as is most europeans that come here to live.

Good luck whatever you do
dorothy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2007, 07:00 AM

164 posts, read 19,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katalin View Post
NOW EVERYBODY CAN SEE WHY I LEFT PA!!!! I am also LEAVING THIS PA FORUM FOR GOOD!!!!
I love you. Marry me!

PA people make everything complicated.

I got an idea for all you PA native people, **** and stop pointing out spelling errors. Your job is to tell people how bad this state sucks, not to play English teacher.

Wait, maybe that is my job, since all you people love PA. It's funny that the only people I have run across that like this state are in this forum. Oh well....

see you all in a few more days

Old 03-10-2007, 09:41 AM

435 posts, read 617,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechtm84 View Post
I love you. Marry me!

PA people make everything complicated.

I got an idea for all you PA native people, **** and stop pointing out spelling errors. Your job is to tell people how bad this state sucks, not to play English teacher.

Wait, maybe that is my job, since all you people love PA. It's funny that the only people I have run across that like this state are in this forum. Oh well....

see you all in a few more days
Thanks for backing me up!!! Did I spell it correctly?

Old 03-10-2007, 10:22 AM

934 posts, read 1,962,504 times
Don't miss it anymore. We are here.

Old 03-10-2007, 04:56 PM

1,119 posts, read 2,700,000 times
Ive lived in a few places in PA from Pittsburgh to Philly suburbs to Amish Country in Lanco. Although Philly has morphed into an unliveable dump I miss most of PA terribly. I moved to Vermont based on hype and it has turned out to be the biggest mistake I have ever made. An absolute nitemare. If I could turn back time I would. PA has a diversity that is hard to find in other states, and certainly not up here in New England. The overdevelopment sucks but you can still find any type of living situation you want, from city to extreme rural, conservative to liberal. Think twice and do your research if you plan on moving out, cuz the grass isnt always greener =:-(

Old 03-11-2007, 04:52 PM

7,825 posts, read 2,643,119 times
I miss Pennsylvania and I've never even lived there. Here is a journal entry from my last visit to Gettysburg:

I love the buildings here, there are a lot of different types of architecture, but the best type is the classic town home look. Brick houses that share a wall with their neighbors house or have an alley of 1 to 4 feet inbetween. At night most of the brick townhouses have candles in their windows and it is electrifying to see rows of town houses at night all with a candle in the window. Gettysburg College is real magnificent at night and there was some lighting over head off in the distance which made the noble buildings look erie and powerful.

I also love looking off in the distance during the day and seeing the rolling mountains. They almost look like waves in Lake Michigan frozen in time, in some spots you can see 5 layers deep of rolling mountains behind each other, all rolling up and down. The closest ones are darker and green, but the haze makes the farther ones appear grayer, bluer, fainter, until the farthest mounatin range almost looks the same color as the sky and your mind starts to wonder if it is even a mountain at all - rather just a far off cloud front coming in and your mind can wander....

A lot of people you see are just sitting by themselves or with a couple. Writing, drawing or thinking. I go out in nature a lot to do that and there are so many breath taking spots to do that here I could imagine being very happy here doing that. You can climb up hill tops where huge boulders stick out and just over look rolling farmlands with forests, stone walls, the town off in the distance, and the rolling mountains. There are boulders stacked upon other boulders creating gaps that you can walk or crawl under. In essence Gettysburg is life. I am glad that I got a job in Holland, but I could have also seen myself moving out here to get a 2nd chance at being me.

The Jennie Wade house...we stayed right next to it. Aarrrrgh. Well anyways the house was hit probably more than 100 times, including about 10 shots in the door. I wonder if it was one of the first or last shots to hit the house that struck Jennie down? Not that it would make that much of a difference or change the story really. However, it would take even more courage to continue to bake bread after your house was hit by lets say 80 bullets.

I went to Boyd's Bears headquarters which is stationed out here. It is an amazing store, massive and nice set in a breath taking countryside lot south of town, I got gift teddy bears for my mom, sister, and niece.

Old 03-14-2007, 02:55 PM

25,453 posts, read 31,957,858 times
I did move back to Pennsylvania. I was gone for 27 years, and when I returned I discovered that the politicians were still unabashedly corrupt, nepotism and cronyism still running rampant, taxes were still outrageous, the roads were still full of potholes, and I still couldn't buy beer in the grocery store. No progress -- on many more issues than just the ones I mentioned -- since 1977.

Nontheless, my family is here, my fiance's family is here, and this is where I am for now. There are many things I like about Pennsylvania, but for the most part I find it backward and in decline.

Oh, and that last thing about the beer rankles me more than anything else, LOL.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:07 PM

2,938 posts, read 1,051,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
I did move back to Pennsylvania. I was gone for 27 years, and when I returned I discovered that the politicians were still unabashedly corrupt, nepotism and cronyism still running rampant, taxes were still outrageous, the roads were still full of potholes, and I still couldn't buy beer in the grocery store. No progress -- on many more issues than just the ones I mentioned -- since 1977.

Nontheless, my family is here, my fiance's family is here, and this is where I am for now. There are many things I like about Pennsylvania, but for the most part I find it backward and in decline.

Oh, and that last thing about the beer rankles me more than anything else, LOL.
Nepotism and corruption are everywhere. I'm sure it exists in Ohio as well. At least PA has hills and mountains. I always found Ohio to be one of the most boring states to drive through.....too flat.

As far as beer in grocery stores, I hope it never happens. Most PA beer distributors are locally-owned small businesses. Allowing grocery stores to sell beer would put pretty much all of those distributors out of business. And even worse, the beer market would be dominated by giant chains like Wal-Mart. No thanks. I like the selection I get from stores that sell beer only. Big-box chain food stores would just sell mass-produced urine like Coors, Bud, and Miller, making it harder for people like myself who enjoy drinking real beer, and trying different types of microbrews and imports.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:09 PM

2,938 posts, read 1,051,876 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoZmiC NinJa View Post
Philly has morphed into an unliveable dump =:-(

Philly is more of an extension of NJ than it is a part of PA. The Philly area is pretty much the cultural opposite of the rest of PA.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:19 PM

25,453 posts, read 31,957,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by conorsdad View Post
Big-box chain food stores would just sell mass-produced urine like Coors, Bud, and Miller, making it harder for people like myself who enjoy drinking real beer, and trying different types of microbrews and imports.
Wildly untrue. My neighborhood Kroger (as big box as it gets when it comes to grocery stores) (and it was at the top of a hill, too) sells microbrews from all over the country, as well as imports; it also sold wines from all over the world -- and from the small, locally-owned wineries in several nearby states.

And there still are specialty beer and wine stores, as well as mom-and-pop party stores, which happily co-exist with the Krogers and 7-11s in selling alcohol.

Quote:
Nepotism and corruption are everywhere
You missed the "unabashedly" part of my statement. Pennsylvania politicians should at least have the decency to look ashamed when they get caught.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania