U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 05-05-2007, 02:31 PM

6 posts, read 15,020 times
Default Follow Up to the Questions

I guess someone asked where I lived in Pennsylvania. I was born and raised in Williamsport, Pennsylvania, and then moved to Montoursville, Pennsylvania at the age of 20. I also lived in Milton, Pennsylvania, when I first got married (that was horrible), and then moved back to Williamsport where I stayed until the age of 32. At that point, my husband and I and are two children moved to Cumming, Georgia, which is about 40 miles north of Atlanta.

Everyone thinks that it is hotter here, which is just not true. The humdity is so much worse in Pennsylvania. We have four absolutely beautiful seasons here, very nice, friendly people, lots of job opportunities, and everything is so new. Obviously, there are things that I don't like so it's really up to each person to find what is best for them. But I can tell you that my parents have put their home on the market and will be moving here too. They were both born and raised in Pennsylvania as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2007, 09:51 PM

25 posts, read 138,164 times
I moved from PA several years ago and do not miss it one bit. PA is a very depressing place for young people (old, run down towns with most seniors who talk about how great it was 50 years ago but don't want anything to change). I still live close enough to PA to get Philadelphia TV stations so I still hear about all the problems they have with taxes and whatnot.

I have family that keep telling me to move back as it's where I belong. Seems to be the blackhole effect of PA, you eventually get sucked back in. I have no interest to return to a dead economy and high taxes.

Old 05-10-2007, 10:24 PM

1,099 posts, read 2,963,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDCofDE View Post
I moved from PA several years ago and do not miss it one bit. PA is a very depressing place for young people (old, run down towns with most seniors who talk about how great it was 50 years ago but don't want anything to change). I still live close enough to PA to get Philadelphia TV stations so I still hear about all the problems they have with taxes and whatnot.

I have family that keep telling me to move back as it's where I belong. Seems to be the blackhole effect of PA, you eventually get sucked back in. I have no interest to return to a dead economy and high taxes.
Yea, because all of PA is dead run down towns filled with old people. How much of the state have you actually seen?

Old 05-11-2007, 03:23 PM

22 posts, read 57,803 times
Default My screen name about says it all!

I currently live in Pennsylvania. Unfortunately, I have come to absolutely HATE living in this state, and plan to relocate very soon.

I have taken the time to read through this entire thread, and the people who don't miss PA have more or less hit the nail on the head.

To me, the two main things that make a place desirable to relocate to and live in are the job market and the attitiudes of the people. PA falls WAY short in both areas.

When the bottom fell out of the steel industry in late 1970's-early 1980's, the state's economy went straight into the tenth level of hell, and has yet to fully recover. I haven't seen this state even try to rectify the problem save for those ridiculous "PA: Stay and Invent the Future" ads that aired on TV and radio earlier in the decade. These spots were aimed at trying to encourage young people to stay in this cesspool of a state and make a living.

Simply put, this state is in economic ruin due to the fact that the people that live within just DO NOT WANT TO CHANGE!!!

And that leads me to my next point. I have been around to many places here in this country, both to visit and to stay. I can honestly say that the people here in PA are for the most part the worst I've ever had the misfortune to coexist with. Granted, you'll find bad people anywhere you go, but I've never seen a state where the people's attitudes in general just flat out stink!

For example, this state has the 2nd highest elderly population in the country. PA has the worst elderly people in this country, bar none! They are mostly rude, grouchy, rigid people who just cast a dark pall over everyone and evrything that they come into contact with. They seem to be stuck in 1958 and can't get with the 21st century. They seem to think they are automatically entitled to respect and have no obligation to respect you in return! Sorry you wrinkled up, prune faced PA old farts! You have to give respect to get respect!

Also, there are a bunch of rednecks in this state who look like they just stepped off of the set of Deliverance or Jerry Springer. They reinforce every single stereotype of that group of people. They practically worship Larry the Cable Guy! And the morons seem to love their confederate flags on their vehicles. Don't they realize they're on the wrong side of the Mason-Dixon line for that??? Furthermore, you have these "Shot and a Beer" tough guys who think that just because they work in industrial labor that they are tough. They usually have a family history of working in industrial labor and seem to love nothing more than being bullies and picking on people while in a drunken stupor.

As for myself, I live in the western half of the state(the Pittsburgh side). The job market blows, the roads stink, with potholes the size of craters at times. The taxes are outrageous, property tax in particular. Absurd, puritanical laws that make no sense(PA's liquor laws for example!). And to top it all off, you have obnoxious and outright RUDE people that infest this state like a plague!

As mentioned, I've been around this country. Most every place else I've been, the kinds of people I've mentioned are limited to a few clusters here and there. In PA, they are the rule. People here say "WEll, it'll be the same no matter where you go!" everytime I say I want to relocate. Well yeah they are going to say that when they have stayed in the same small town in PA for their whole lives and never hardly left.

In closing, yeah, I do not like Pennsylvania And when I relocate, which will be VERY soon, I definitely WILL NOT miss it and definitely WILL NOT be back! Let me point out though that what has happened here and what will happen here between now and when the relocation happens will STAY here. When I go, I will view it as starting completely over from scratch.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:34 PM

93 posts, read 228,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHATEPA!!! View Post
I currently live in Pennsylvania. Unfortunately, I have come to absolutely HATE living in this state, and plan to relocate very soon.

I have taken the time to read through this entire thread, and the people who don't miss PA have more or less hit the nail on the head.

To me, the two main things that make a place desirable to relocate to and live in are the job market and the attitiudes of the people. PA falls WAY short in both areas.

When the bottom fell out of the steel industry in late 1970's-early 1980's, the state's economy went straight into the tenth level of hell, and has yet to fully recover. I haven't seen this state even try to rectify the problem save for those ridiculous "PA: Stay and Invent the Future" ads that aired on TV and radio earlier in the decade. These spots were aimed at trying to encourage young people to stay in this cesspool of a state and make a living.

Simply put, this state is in economic ruin due to the fact that the people that live within just DO NOT WANT TO CHANGE!!!

And that leads me to my next point. I have been around to many places here in this country, both to visit and to stay. I can honestly say that the people here in PA are for the most part the worst I've ever had the misfortune to coexist with. Granted, you'll find bad people anywhere you go, but I've never seen a state where the people's attitudes in general just flat out stink!

For example, this state has the 2nd highest elderly population in the country. PA has the worst elderly people in this country, bar none! They are mostly rude, grouchy, rigid people who just cast a dark pall over everyone and evrything that they come into contact with. They seem to be stuck in 1958 and can't get with the 21st century. They seem to think they are automatically entitled to respect and have no obligation to respect you in return! Sorry you wrinkled up, prune faced PA old farts! You have to give respect to get respect!

Also, there are a bunch of rednecks in this state who look like they just stepped off of the set of Deliverance or Jerry Springer. They reinforce every single stereotype of that group of people. They practically worship Larry the Cable Guy! And the morons seem to love their confederate flags on their vehicles. Don't they realize they're on the wrong side of the Mason-Dixon line for that??? Furthermore, you have these "Shot and a Beer" tough guys who think that just because they work in industrial labor that they are tough. They usually have a family history of working in industrial labor and seem to love nothing more than being bullies and picking on people while in a drunken stupor.

As for myself, I live in the western half of the state(the Pittsburgh side). The job market blows, the roads stink, with potholes the size of craters at times. The taxes are outrageous, property tax in particular. Absurd, puritanical laws that make no sense(PA's liquor laws for example!). And to top it all off, you have obnoxious and outright RUDE people that infest this state like a plague!

As mentioned, I've been around this country. Most every place else I've been, the kinds of people I've mentioned are limited to a few clusters here and there. In PA, they are the rule. People here say "WEll, it'll be the same no matter where you go!" everytime I say I want to relocate. Well yeah they are going to say that when they have stayed in the same small town in PA for their whole lives and never hardly left.

In closing, yeah, I do not like Pennsylvania And when I relocate, which will be VERY soon, I definitely WILL NOT miss it and definitely WILL NOT be back! Let me point out though that what has happened here and what will happen here between now and when the relocation happens will STAY here. When I go, I will view it as starting completely over from scratch.
Hey, there is no reason to be so mean. It's too sad that you had a bad time in PA, but the whole state is not like that. Maybe bits and parts, but not the whole thing. I have no clue what you're talking about.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:55 PM

2,726 posts, read 3,840,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IHATEPA!!! View Post
I'm not going to argue against the fact that a disproportionate amount of PA's residents are elderly, and this does seem to drag on the social and economic atmosphere -- but I offer two main points in response to your general argument.

1.) Do unto other as you would have them do unto you. Cliche? Of course, but the only way you can expect people to reciprocate with niceness is to act nice to them. You may not like having to be the first one to initiate being nice, but sometimes that's what it takes. I, too, can completely relate to being surrounded by grouchy, elderly people a good portion of my life growing up here, but I have learned that if you just give them some respect and not treat them like second-class citizens (as Americans tend to do to the elderly, since we often see them as "leeching" off social services), deep down they really are good people with wisdom from which we can all learn.

2.) If you've taken any notice, PA's economy is going through a shift right now. We're certainly not the only state (Ohio, Upstate New York, Michigan, etc.) to have been based on industries which largely died out (steel, textiles, coal, etc.), thereby affecting the economy around the state. However, if you would take notice to the technology industry in Pittsburgh, the medical industry in Philadelphia, and our strong higher educational institutions (UPenn, Lehigh, Bucknell, PSU, Carnegie Mellon, etc.) that attract students from all over the world, you would understand that our future economic potential certainly isn't anything to cry about. As a young adult, I used to contemplate leaving this state like so many others after college, as well. However, I see an emerging positive force here -- something of which I definitely want to be a part. If you want to leave, by all means, no one is keeping you here. Personally, I see the state's improving growth after decades of recession as a testament to the fact that Pennsylvania is beginning to do something right again.

Last edited by Duderino; 05-11-2007 at 04:12 PM..

Old 05-11-2007, 04:16 PM

17 posts, read 70,979 times
Well, I never lived outside of PA in my 50 yrs but visited many other states.... it was always wonderful to come home to PA...the City I live in is starting to have some problems(Allentown, 50 Minutes North of Philly)...due to movement of many out of NY and NJ...looking for a better life...but to be honest as I watch the news and the horrible tragedies around the country(hurricanes in MO, earthquakes in CA, Floods in LA, major snowstorms in NY...I am very happy to be in PA...if you live somewhere where you have never experienced the four seasons changing every year...you just have to come to PA if you have the opportunity!!!...some people never have and don't know what they are missing...it brings a new perspective to life and creation!!! Trust me!!!

Old 05-11-2007, 04:23 PM

17 posts, read 70,979 times
...I really hope "IHATEPA" never gets old...and hopefully none of his/her dear relatives grow old either!!!

Old 05-11-2007, 06:36 PM

67,541 posts, read 55,380,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summa56 View Post
...I really hope "IHATEPA" never gets old...and hopefully none of his/her dear relatives grow old either!!!
Yes, I agree. Even though I don't think PA is a good place to earn a living any more, I have worked with the elderly much of my career and hate to hear people "dissing" old people. The only way to avoid growing old is to die young.

Old 05-11-2007, 06:59 PM

25 posts, read 138,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
Yea, because all of PA is dead run down towns filled with old people. How much of the state have you actually seen?
I lived in it for 21 years in 3 counties. I have been to 60 of the 67 counties. And yes, it's all the same except for Philadelphia, which has other issues but I still visit it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania