U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
 
Old 02-18-2010, 12:01 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,079 times
Reputation: 17
I made the biggest mistake of my life and moved to Florida from Pa. Took me 12 years to get back to good ol' Pa.

And BTW......I love the cold winters....keeps the trash down south where it belongs.
Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-18-2010, 04:04 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
167 posts, read 208,796 times
Reputation: 87
I've been in 39 states and I still haven't found one that trumps good ole PA.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2010, 11:57 AM
 
130 posts, read 156,437 times
Reputation: 149
I moved to Texas last year and regret it every day of my life. I lived in PA all my life and the south has proved to be a horrid beast for someone such as me. I miss home so much.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-20-2010, 02:36 PM
 
979 posts, read 1,060,282 times
Reputation: 401
I miss some elements of PA but not the crappy weather and some of the people/mentality that plagues the state. What amazes me most about PA is when I go up there to visit how people look, that miserable look on their face. Not too many people smile and many seem miserable. It's one of the most xenophobic places I ever lived, people in general don't like outsiders especially the small townies.

This coming from a PA native who lived there for over 30+ years. I left for greener pastures and more work, can't say it's been perfect but at least I get to go to the Phillies Spring Training games in Clearwater.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2010, 04:39 PM
 
209 posts, read 350,207 times
Reputation: 53
No. I was born and raised in central PA. I have since lived (not visited) in upstate New York, Virginia, Maryland, and Georgia. The only one I liked less than PA was NY. I find PA to be very narrow minded people (people who have never moved out or gone ANYWHERE) and conservative as all friggin get out. It's pretty, sure. But you don't live in pretty and there certainly aren't any opportunites for growth in pretty. I find it very unfriendly, very closed, and very conservative. I also hate the cold.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2010, 05:18 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
167 posts, read 208,796 times
Reputation: 87
Keep reminding me how conservative we are here. Your restoring my hope in my fellow Pennsylvanians.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2010, 06:15 PM
 
209 posts, read 350,207 times
Reputation: 53
Well....it is. But what drives me nuts about it is not the fact that it is so, but the fact that it is not open to people who think differently. Politics is not religion and unfortunately, many in the area feel that it is the be all end all of someone's personality. For example, I had a member of my family tell me that because I was a democrat I could not possibly be a Christian. My FAMILY. I was in shock. That is the kind of attitude I am talking about. I have not ever felt like I "fit" in PA (except for the Philly area lol), have spoken to many who feel ostracized for the same reasons. IMHO, that is not an asset to the state in general or the immediate 717 area.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2010, 07:09 PM
 
Location: DC Suburbs of Maryland (by way of PA)
2,818 posts, read 4,004,513 times
Reputation: 2169
Quote:
Originally Posted by PAblackbear View Post
Keep reminding me how conservative we are here. Your restoring my hope in my fellow Pennsylvanians.
You can believe what you wish, but I'm sure you're aware that PA is overall a pretty moderate state, aside from a few exceptions here and there. Not to mention I wouldn't call a state "conservative" that voted Democratic in the past presidential election by over a 10% margin.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2010, 07:34 PM
 
Location: Center City Philadelphia
1,099 posts, read 3,031,151 times
Reputation: 388
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kit624 View Post
Well....it is. But what drives me nuts about it is not the fact that it is so, but the fact that it is not open to people who think differently. Politics is not religion and unfortunately, many in the area feel that it is the be all end all of someone's personality. For example, I had a member of my family tell me that because I was a democrat I could not possibly be a Christian. My FAMILY. I was in shock. That is the kind of attitude I am talking about. I have not ever felt like I "fit" in PA (except for the Philly area lol), have spoken to many who feel ostracized for the same reasons. IMHO, that is not an asset to the state in general or the immediate 717 area.
I grew up in suburban Harrisburg and never felt this way. My school (Cumberland Valley) had people from all backgrounds and nationalities. It's typical conservative Republican suburbia, not unlike just about every other suburban area in the country.

Needless to say, I never felt like I "fit" in there, and I do much more so in my current neighborhood which has many young professionals, artists, liberals and other like-minded folks. And yes, its right here in Central PA.
Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-21-2010, 08:59 PM
 
Location: Pennsylvania
167 posts, read 208,796 times
Reputation: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
You can believe what you wish, but I'm sure you're aware that PA is overall a pretty moderate state, aside from a few exceptions here and there. Not to mention I wouldn't call a state "conservative" that voted Democratic in the past presidential election by over a 10% margin.

I actually agree with you. But everyone keeps saying how conservative we are and it was uplifting. A person can dream can't they?
Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


 
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top