U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-07-2010, 09:00 PM
 
Location: Hooterville PA
712 posts, read 1,623,540 times
Reputation: 283

Advertisements

Well - Fisheye is pretty smart, but as he said, sometimes it is better to take the long way around then to try to circumnavigate around the globe trying to get there.

If it was me and I was going to drive it, once I got to Pennsylvania, I would travel I 80 to I 99 and take I 99 south to Bedford / Breezewood and then take I 70 to Hancock Md.
Then take 522 South to Winchester VA.
Take 522 to 340 AND go south and that will take you right into Waynesboro and then all you have to do is take I 64 east to Richmond.

That would keep you out of all the traffic around DC and will put you in the right place at the right time - the only thing to remember is that Virginia has moving radar and not to push the envelope of speed when traveling or you will get caught.

RT 37 around Winchester is a known speed trap.
Just a short little 5 mile road with like a 45 MPH speed limit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-08-2010, 04:02 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,124 posts, read 10,560,296 times
Reputation: 9265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honest Bob View Post
Well - Fisheye is pretty smart, but as he said, sometimes it is better to take the long way around then to try to circumnavigate around the globe trying to get there.

If it was me and I was going to drive it, once I got to Pennsylvania, I would travel I 80 to I 99 and take I 99 south to Bedford / Breezewood and then take I 70 to Hancock Md.
Then take 522 South to Winchester VA.
Take 522 to 340 AND go south and that will take you right into Waynesboro and then all you have to do is take I 64 east to Richmond.

That would keep you out of all the traffic around DC and will put you in the right place at the right time - the only thing to remember is that Virginia has moving radar and not to push the envelope of speed when traveling or you will get caught.

RT 37 around Winchester is a known speed trap.
Just a short little 5 mile road with like a 45 MPH speed limit.
Honest Bob,
Salemand, wants to go to Maine. I 99 would cost too many wasted miles. Yes; if you were going south that would be your route - but western PA just out of the way.

You are right about VA and speeding traps - they love to shoot you in the back as you pass by the entrance ramps on their interstates. However; they are not as bad as they used to be. I had one trip down I 81 that I think they had radar ever mile for the 324 miles I was in the State. VA also hates radar detectors and will rip your vehicle apart if they detect that you are using one. VA does not want anybody to walk on their interstates - if you break down stay with your vehicle. They also have one rule that is different from all the other states: They will fine you for using your four way flashers over 45 MPH. In other states, if you think that driving conditions are poor, we will pull on our four ways. VA reasons that we should not be driving over 45 if the conditions are that poor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-11-2010, 04:18 PM
 
1 posts, read 2,200 times
Reputation: 10
I drive Maine to New Bern and back a couple times a year; my daughter and I will be heading down over the Christmas break. I normally leave Maine on a Saturday and take 95 / 495 / 290 / 90 (through Worcester, MA) 84 (through Hartford to New Haven) then 95 through the Bronx Expressway (which can be awful but usually isn't on a Saturday evening) over the George Washington Bridge, follow 95 through NJ then sneak over to Route 13 in Dover Delaware, follow it over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel then sneak through Norfolk (the toughest 15 miles of the trip because of road changes, but it's well-marked) and take 17 down to New Bern. This year, I have to leave on a Monday, so I'm going inland to miss the Bronx Expressway unless the weather is bad (in which case I'll stick to my usual coastal route and practice Zen during the hour or two I'm doing stop and go through the Bronx.) The inland route is one my dad takes between SC and Maine twice a year -- I'll go get my notes and post them in a few minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2010, 04:28 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,124 posts, read 10,560,296 times
Reputation: 9265
Quote:
Originally Posted by lane_karen View Post
I drive Maine to New Bern and back a couple times a year; my daughter and I will be heading down over the Christmas break. I normally leave Maine on a Saturday and take 95 / 495 / 290 / 90 (through Worcester, MA) 84 (through Hartford to New Haven) then 95 through the Bronx Expressway (which can be awful but usually isn't on a Saturday evening) over the George Washington Bridge, follow 95 through NJ then sneak over to Route 13 in Dover Delaware, follow it over the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel then sneak through Norfolk (the toughest 15 miles of the trip because of road changes, but it's well-marked) and take 17 down to New Bern. This year, I have to leave on a Monday, so I'm going inland to miss the Bronx Expressway unless the weather is bad (in which case I'll stick to my usual coastal route and practice Zen during the hour or two I'm doing stop and go through the Bronx.) The inland route is one my dad takes between SC and Maine twice a year -- I'll go get my notes and post them in a few minutes.
lane_karen,

My weather forecast for tomorrow (Monday) calls for us to go below freezing at around 3:00 PM. They are not calling for any precipitation after the freeze. Where I live (in northeaster PA) the elevation is fairly high. You should be fine to jump off I 95 at Fredericksburg onto Route 17. Like I said before, if you encounter weather; you could still change your route while in route. All you would have to do is jump off I 81 (east of Harrisburg) onto I 78 and follow that to I 278 in NJ. Then you could go north and run a small piece of I 87, back to I 287 and over the Tappan Zee Bridge to I 95 (avoiding the NY traffic). If the weather is great; stay on I 81, to I 380 (south), to I 84 and then up to I 90. There is generally a lot less traffic on the inland route.

My wife and I were just up to Maine over Thanksgiving. My wife loves to stop in on the Maine State Prison Store in Thomaston ME. That is located on Route 1: http://maine.gov/corrections/industries/index.html

We also stop at Freeport for the LL Bean outlet store (we usually do not go in their flagship store - we’re cheap).

Anyway; have a great trip and good luck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-12-2010, 08:01 AM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,124 posts, read 10,560,296 times
Reputation: 9265
lane_karen,

One quick word of warning about Route 17, down by Fredericksburg VA; they have cameras on their red lights. I don’t know if you have ever encountered them before? Just make sure you are stopped on red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2010, 06:26 AM
 
248 posts, read 359,644 times
Reputation: 127
Hi folks, and thank you one and all for your input.

I use to drive 95 all the way, when going south. But since taking 84, 81 and such, I REALLY like this route.

Speeds isn't an issue, and 75 is pretty common, and traffic is rarely and issue, which allows you to make some good timing. The scenery is much better, and hell, if I have to drive this much, I like it to be a pleasant drive.

Plenty of places to stop and get fuel, food and some great views of this part of America.

95 for the most part is faster, and in bad weather 95 is generally way better maintained, making the drive easier/safer.

But get caught in a few traffic jams and you can lose all gains you might get by having taken 95. Yes I know that a few traffic jams on the other route and you are in the same boat … sort of.

First off, I've found MUCH less traffic issues on this route, and it's easy enough to get off an exit and get by these traffic issue on these roads - at least I think so.

In any case, thank you all again, and safe driving no matter which roads you drive

***Now if, we want to keep this going, how about some nice tips and places to enjoy and great places for photo's.

- Eat eatery's along the way?
- Great Tourist Traps?
- Great bakeries?
- Nice side trips / stops along the way?
• Scranton Stream Train Museum and such
- Best place for a steak sandwich in PA (Not Pat's or Gino's)
- How about the PA farmers market - worth a stop?

Skip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-19-2010, 05:37 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,124 posts, read 10,560,296 times
Reputation: 9265
slalemand,

Just out of curiosity; what was you exact route? I don’t mean the last roads to your house; I mean: Did you take I 26 to I 77 up to I 81? Or; did you do the Route 17 to I 66 to Route 17 to Route 50 to I 81? Possibly you took other routes? If you were on Route 17; did you spot the cameras on the red lights?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2010, 05:49 AM
 
248 posts, read 359,644 times
Reputation: 127
Out of Maine - 95 to 495 to 90 to 84 to 380 to 81 to 77 to 20 to 26 to 95 to Beaufort.

I didn't see or spot any camera's anywhere? Hell I know they are in my home town, and I don't notice them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2010, 01:01 PM
 
Location: Swiftwater, PA
13,124 posts, read 10,560,296 times
Reputation: 9265
Quote:
Originally Posted by slalemand View Post
Out of Maine - 95 to 495 to 90 to 84 to 380 to 81 to 77 to 20 to 26 to 95 to Beaufort.

I didn't see or spot any camera's anywhere? Hell I know they are in my home town, and I don't notice them.
salemand,

That used to be one of my options when I drove doubles to Florida. I used to like the scenery that way. Sometimes the traffic could get backed up on I 77 around Charlotte. If you have the option; you might want to avoid that area around the rush hours. I 77 can have bad fog and is subject to freezing rain as you climb that big hill when you enter Virginia. I 81, in Virginia, has some large hills for driving in the inclement weather.

The camera lights I was talking about are on Route 17, by Fredericksburg VA - you did not go that way. However; It is a good alternative; depending on the weather.

I could tell you where to stop for food on the trip - but I only know the truck stops. I don’t think you are interested in 13 foot mounted alligator on the wall; like they have at White’s Truck stop at the 205 mile marker in VA (on I 81).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-20-2010, 02:03 PM
 
248 posts, read 359,644 times
Reputation: 127
I use to take 17 when I was going to New Bern, but now that I go down to Parris Island, 17 isn't as practical.

I stop where ever the food is good / great. So I will keep an eye for White's Truck Stop.

I always try and plan my trips so that I'm going thru major cites during off hours.

Skip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2018, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top