Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Support the Addition of Sexual Orientation as Protected Class From Discrimination?
Yes 26 61.90%
No 16 38.10%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 09:45 PM

457 posts, read 1,279,714 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackToTheCityMouse View Post
No, gay men are physically capable of reproduction just like any other man if they choose to do it. And many of them have kids, who came into existence in the completely natural way.
It is unnatural for two men to be together. Let's face it...two men can't reproduce. It is not meant to be. It is against nature and science. This is all just garbage for a minority to push their values (or lack of them) on the rest of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2009, 09:49 PM

457 posts, read 1,279,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BevoInPA View Post
I completely agree with this. I want to add: my mother remarried after my father passed away. My mother was 56. She, clearly, could not reproduce. If marriage (based on the theory that is creates a basis to establish famlies) is really the reason (religion) then she should not have have been issued a license to re-marry. She's married, very happy, and not 'productive'.

I think us gays generate substantial tax revenue. Stop thinkining with your values and REALIZE that gays are a revenue source. We rarely have children, earn high incomes, and demand NOTHING of you, except to leave us alone! We don't want to enter your churches, be your friends, or start businesses with you.
What a crock. You demand our tax dollars and expect us to conform to your needs.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:24 PM

160 posts, read 638,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1234 View Post
It is unnatural for two men to be together. Let's face it...two men can't reproduce. It is not meant to be. It is against nature and science. This is all just garbage for a minority to push their values (or lack of them) on the rest of us.
I have known a fair number of gays and lesbians, and not one of them ever attempted to 'push' their situation on me. It can't be done! I think maybe once a person adopts the proselytizing-unto-conversion mindset, that person sees attempts to convert everywhere. We all tend to use ourselves as standards of proper behavior, whether or not we admit it There are no gay specific 'values' any more than there are racial 'values' or gender 'values'. Good and not-so-good humans come in every sort of biological configuration.

Old 03-13-2009, 10:45 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,800,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sr1234 View Post
Two men, and two women for that matter, have been together for centuries and centuries. If it's so unnatural, as you put it, why has it been occurring since the beginning of man?

Old 03-13-2009, 11:21 PM

2,245 posts, read 7,189,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drshang View Post
It's not considered legitimate science by the greater scientific community, maybe to some fringe scientists and people in the KKK it is, but the scientific community generally operates on consensus and the consensus among the community is that it's crap.
Well then, what was I thinking?! We should just take a poll of scientists to determine what is true and what is not. We certainly shouldn't look at the evidence. Perhaps we should've taken a poll around the time Darwin published Origin of Species--then we could have gotten rid of the theory of evolution right then and there. I'm sure a consensus of scientists from 1900 would vote the same way they do today.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:46 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,376,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulinale View Post

There is strong scientific evidence that suggests homosexuality is not biologically based. One such study tested identical twins; they found that 50%, when one twin was gay, the other was not; strongly suggesting that homosexuality is not biological like being black.
Do have a Source for this statement? That's not the conclusion of any of the twin studies I have read, nor of any of the other studies I've read in this area. I'd be interested to read the particular study you mention because I thought I knew about most of the studies on sexual orientation in the past 30 years and haven't heard of that one. Are you sure you got it right? Have you read any of these peer reviewed, published studies in this long list of studies up to about 2004 about sexual orientation?

Is It a Choice? The Science of Sexual Orientation

And here are some conclusions from some of the most recent studies on sexual orientation:

Quote:
Mustanski, B. S.; DuPree, M. G.; Nievergelt, C. M.; Bocklandt, S.; Schork, N. J.; Hamer, D. H. “A genomewide scan of male sexual orientation.” Human Genetics 116: 272-278, 2005

Mustanski concluded that: "There's a converging line of evidence between the hormonal studies, the genetic studies, and the neuroanatomical studies. My research has identified candidate genes within these new chromosomal regions that could link together all of these different findings”
Quote:
Swaab DF (2007) Sexual differentiation of the brain
and behavior. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab 21:431–444.

Current evidence indicates that sexual differentiation of the human brain occurs during fetal and neonatal development and programs our gender identity— our feeling of being male or female and our sexual orientation as hetero-, homo-, or bisexual. This sexual differentiation process is accompanied by many structural and functional brain differences among these groups.
Quote:
(2008) Brain scans have provided the most compelling evidence yet that being gay or straight is a biologically fixed trait.
The scans reveal that in gay people, key structures of the brain governing emotion, mood, anxiety and aggressiveness resemble those in straight people of the opposite sex.

The differences are likely to have been forged in the womb or in early infancy, says Ivanka Savic, who conducted the study at the Karolinska Institute in Stockholm, Sweden

Gay brains structured like those of the opposite sex - life - 16 June 2008 - New Scientist

Last edited by Ceist; 03-14-2009 at 07:16 AM..

Old 03-14-2009, 07:01 AM

17,842 posts, read 14,376,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanneroo View Post
For starters however it is you have sex has nothing at all to do with the workplace. I don't bring my sex life into work and I don't expect anyone else to. If my company had employees and they did, they'd get fired. Whatever it is you are fornicating with and however you are doing it, I really don't want to know.

So no-one at your workplace knows if you are married or have a girlfriend or have children?
No-one at your workplace dares even mention they are married or have a wife/husband boyfriend/girlfriend or anything about their lives that might reveal their sexual orientation or they will get fired? Odd place to work.

Old 03-14-2009, 08:18 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,451,260 times
A good many years ago when I was 22, a bunch of friends & I went out drinking. I got totally hammered & ended up having sex with a woman!!! (please don't judge me solely upon my one error of judgement....)

It was the most un-natural thing I've ever done, but I couldn't help myself...my thoughts were clouded by liquor & the elevated hormones of youth!! Even as the nausea of realizing what I was doing permeated through the alchohol haze, I just kept on....the shame was immense!!

We woke up the next morning in uncomfortable silence, knowing we had done the unimaginable!! We discussed the situation & decided to chalk it up to "experimentation" & never spoke of it again.

I've lived with that shame for 30 years, & I'm SO glad that I wasn't labeled as "straight" by that one misguided evening!!

I hope none of you are EVER forced to do the "un-natural" by closed-minded people & have to endure the shame & humiliation that I and others like me have.....

Old 03-14-2009, 08:20 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,573,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jungle George View Post
A good many years ago when I was 22, a bunch of friends & I went out drinking. I got totally hammered & ended up having sex with a woman!!! (please don't judge me solely upon my one error of judgement....)

It was the most un-natural thing I've ever done, but I couldn't help myself...my thoughts were clouded by liquor & the elevated hormones of youth!! Even as the nausea of realizing what I was doing permeated through the alchohol haze, I just kept on....the shame was immense!!

We woke up the next morning in uncomfortable silence, knowing we had done the unimaginable!! We discussed the situation & decided to chalk it up to "experimentation" & never spoke of it again.

I've lived with that shame for 30 years, & I'm SO glad that I wasn't labeled as "straight" by that one misguided evening!!

I hope none of you are EVER forced to do the "un-natural" by closed-minded people & have to endure the shame & humiliation that I and others like me have.....
Does this mean if I get a straight guy drunk at my college I could get similarly as "lucky" as that woman got with you so many years ago?!!

Old 03-14-2009, 08:26 AM

2,473 posts, read 5,451,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScranBarre View Post
Does this mean if I get a straight guy drunk at my college I could get similarly as "lucky" as that woman got with you so many years ago?!!
Or broken bones!!

Some people say I can be sarcastic....I just don't see it....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania