Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2007, 01:56 PM

1 posts, read 5,442 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone My Wife And I Are Moving From Baltimore To Dover In 6 Months. Can Anyone Help With The Taxes In That County And The School And Daycare. I Was Going To Drive From Dover To Baltimore For Work. Iam An Office Manger At Hv/ac Company And She Is In The Dental Feild How Are The Jobs In The Dental Fields Up There And Cost Of Livingthe Host Is About 220,000 Thanks I Hope Someone Can Help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2007, 06:50 AM

1,649 posts, read 5,001,032 times
As you may know, Dover's biggest claim to fame is the Intelligent Design court case with the schools. I'm sure if you google it, info will pop up everywhere!

Dover is still one of the more rural areas of York County. There are some new strip malls, and a larger grocery store has come into the area. A few miles down Rt. 74 will give you more selections for shopping. A rather nice complex opened there in the last few months. Lowe's, Giant Foods (nice store!), BJ's, Target, West Manchester Mall, Wal-Mart, etc., and every chain restaurant you could need is along Rt. 30.

Dover schools? Not the top of the line in the county. They've had some problems, and the past board decisions have cost them a great deal of money. Nearly 40 teachers left the district last year for other placements. I think that says something. There's not a good working relationship between administration and staff. You might want to check out West York Area Schools. The district is right next door. It covers West York Borough and West Manchester Twp.

Really good day care will be a sift and search proposition. There is a center there run by a local family. I've not heard a lot of positive about it, but it could work for you.

Tax rates you should be able to find on line. Check the real estate listings at places like trulia.com.

Your wife shouldn't have much difficulty finding a job. There are two newspapers in York. The York Dispatch and The York Daily Record. You might check out their web sites. They used to be owned by two different companies, and it provided Yorker's with a diversity of views. They are now both owned by the same company. Dispatch is the evening paper, and Daily Record is morning.

York County's rural areas are quite beautiful. North of Dover there are rolling hills, and the old Rt. 74 can be a pleasant drive to Carlisle and Harrisburg. If you're in a hurry, there's easy back roads to hit Rt. 83....thus a faster run to Baltimore south and Harrisburg north.

There's a lot of rural area between Dover and Hanover, and tons of rural roads will connect you to the old Lincoln Highway. Hanover is probably a bit too far from what you want, but it is a lovely area.

I grew up near the area where you are moving. It was all corn fields and quiet in that end of the county for many years. The convience of services has come, and we all have to trade one for the other. Of course, coming from Baltimore, you may find it Hayseed Village. LOL!

I left the West York area a couple of years ago and didn't think I'd miss it. I do. In my opinion the people are hard working and generally kind and friendly. I think they can be sort of unwelcoming to new folks. It's rather like approacing a puppy. Let them sniff you out first. The Dover area has many people moving there to escape the metro areas, so you won't be alone.

Enjoy your adventure!!

Old 03-27-2007, 07:15 PM

1,649 posts, read 5,001,032 times
I need to correct some of the info I posted above.

Apparently, Dover schools had some of the highest PSSA (Pennsylvania State Standardized Assessment) scores in York County last year. Their third grade scores were exceptional.

Things must be improving there!!

Old 04-25-2007, 10:20 AM

6 posts, read 70,977 times
Dover's a nice area and the schools are okay. My aunt has lived there for 15 years and she likes it, as do her kids. However, Dover historically has some of the higher property taxes in the county. West York, Dallastown, and Central York (where I graduated from) are some of the best schools in the county. Dallastown School District, especially, has lots of people that commute from York to Baltimore. Nanny's Kids is a great daycare located on N. George St., near Rt. 83. My friend works there and says it one of the best she's been to. The kids get lots of attention. If you're commuting to Baltimore, you'll definitely want something near Rt. 83.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 5,315 times
My husband and i have just bought a house in a development in dover. it seems quiet but has kids available for ours to play and grow with. i grew up in the southern part of york county all my life and i like the dover area far more than down there. the people are much more friendly and the houses are more reasonable as are the taxes. realtor.com, realestateinyork.com, jgr.com, longandfoster.com, are just some of the sites we used to find our home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania