Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 03:03 PM

39 posts, read 125,536 times

Advertisements

Does Pennsylvania have a sort of "hillbilly" feel to it in some parts? I know Appalachia takes up a big part of Pennsylvania but I haven't really heard of Pennsylvania being known for "rural towns".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2009, 05:23 PM

941 posts, read 3,910,035 times
Pennsyltucky.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:26 PM

160 posts, read 638,838 times
In a word, yes.

But you have to go outside the small towns to find it. I've been pretty much all over the central part of the state south of Williamsport (I'm an antiques dealer) and the small towns -- and larger towns, too -- are more like diminished rust belt communities.

If you want to find the kind of people I think you mean (and I could be mistaken) you have to go away from the towns and even farm groupings to the forested hillsides. You know, the places with no cell service? You will see roadside bars (some serve food OMG ) with no refridgeration or running water. Shacks. Outhouses. Walled compounds. Road signs peppered with bullet holes. Garbage dumps and smash palaces covering yards.

Are you seriously looking for this? Not places I'd want to have a breakdown.

Old 03-29-2009, 06:30 PM

93 posts, read 325,532 times
Yes in away some places in PA are Hillybilly, or Redneck how ever you want to put. I live in Blair County and there are people here that I would call Hillbillys. Like Backthecitymouse said places in the mountains where there isn't cell service. Some places around have trash in their yards but the next door neighbors house can look like a mansion. But I think hillbillys are not really that common on other places

Old 03-29-2009, 08:14 PM

938 posts, read 2,897,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BackToTheCityMouse View Post
If you want to find the kind of people I think you mean (and I could be mistaken) you have to go away from the towns and even farm groupings to the forested hillsides. You know, the places with no cell service? You will see roadside bars (some serve food OMG ) with no refridgeration or running water. Shacks. Outhouses. Walled compounds. Road signs peppered with bullet holes. Garbage dumps and smash palaces covering yards.

Are you seriously looking for this? Not places I'd want to have a breakdown.
lol...riiiight. If you had a breakdown out there, if anything, the good 'ol boys would probably stop and help you fix your car. Of course, you have people that are afraid to drive through McKeesport in broad daylight at 9AM, so I suppose it goes both ways...

Old 03-29-2009, 09:38 PM

160 posts, read 638,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WVUPharm2007 View Post
lol...riiiight. If you had a breakdown out there, if anything, the good 'ol boys would probably stop and help you fix your car. Of course, you have people that are afraid to drive through McKeesport in broad daylight at 9AM, so I suppose it goes both ways...
I wouldn't want to have a breakdown there because lots of homes have no phones of any kind (along with no electricity or running water), and there is no cell service. It's a very long walk down the hill to call for a tow.

I used to drive alone thru the hills north of Juniata County all the time, and never gave a thought about it. Never saw an adult male from the road, only shabby-looking kids and very very large young women.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:08 PM

YouTube - AIG Insurance Bailout, Bigfoot

Does that fit the description of some Pennsylvania "hillbillies"? He's in Freedom which doesn't seem to be too rural....

Old 03-30-2009, 05:10 PM

93 posts, read 325,532 times
lol yeah that is definitely a hillbilly. But not every hillbilly / redneck is that uneducated. Some thing that I usually think about when I think of Rednecks are dirt bikes or as we call them here "rippers". You can here the ripper in the back ground. That is my biggest complaint with living out in the country on a rural township road. Other than that I love, and I like being able to really do as I please.

Edit:
YouTube - Introducing "Jack" a Pennsylvania Hill Billy
In this video you can see his house. Yes it really is true, there is some houses around here that look like that. Junk everywhere, Chickens running through the yard, junked cars parked, etc. But it really isn't that bad, you get used to it after awhile.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pureblood View Post
lol yeah that is definitely a hillbilly. But not every hillbilly / redneck is that uneducated. Some thing that I usually think about when I think of Rednecks are dirt bikes or as we call them here "rippers". You can here the ripper in the back ground. That is my biggest complaint with living out in the country on a rural township road. Other than that I love, and I like being able to really do as I please.

Edit:

YouTube - Introducing "Jack" a Pennsylvania Hill Billy
In this video you can see his house. Yes it really is true, there is some houses around here that look like that. Junk everywhere, Chickens running through the yard, junked cars parked, etc. But it really isn't that bad, you get used to it after awhile.
Yea i can't agree with you more..i hear that the people of these rural towns are some of the best people you can find..the type that would take a shirt off their back to help you out..

Old 03-31-2009, 06:22 AM

518 posts, read 2,531,479 times
lots of rural/western pa would be considered hillbilly. I do not think thats a bad thing either
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania