U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-02-2009, 10:05 AM

2 posts, read 11,066 times
Question Houses for rent in Williamsport PA area?

My wife and I have an opportunity to relocate in several possible areas, one of which is Williamsport. Due to the real estate market here in NOVA, we plan to rent our house here for a year or two and look for a rental house where we are going. Anyone know what the real estate market in the Wmsport area is for rental homes - not an apartment, but a house (townhouse also possible)? This doesn't look easy!!
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2009, 10:47 AM

9,703 posts, read 12,041,563 times
You shouldn't have any trouble finding a house for rent there.

Old 05-27-2009, 10:15 PM

24 posts, read 83,564 times
Where would one go about finding rental homes? We are considering a job in Williamsport and are trying to check out the rental market for single family homes. I have searched online and not found much. The only thing with a few homes on it was Craigslist. Also what areas should we avoid? thanks for your help.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:26 AM

3 posts, read 17,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3girls View Post
Where would one go about finding rental homes? We are considering a job in Williamsport and are trying to check out the rental market for single family homes. I have searched online and not found much. The only thing with a few homes on it was Craigslist. Also what areas should we avoid? thanks for your help.

You could try http://www.sungazette.com/ That is our local paper here in
Williamsport. Just for the record in case some one says it. Williamsport's crime has improved
over the last year or so. Don't let this negative stereotype about Wsmpt discourage you from
moving here. Williamsport has a lot going for it, I call it a city on the move. We are redeveloping
our downtown, trying to get a Kohl's department store to locate here, and other major national chain stores. We
have other economic things occurring like natural gas drilling, road and bridge upgrades, etc.
It's a beatiuful city of about 40,000 people. I live a block west of downtown and have never had any
crime issue or no of any with my neighbors. Good luck! If you have any other questions about
Wmspt feel free to ask.

Old 05-30-2009, 10:34 AM

3 posts, read 17,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momto3girls View Post
To further answer your question about areas to avoid in Wmspt. There aren't that many just a few areas to avoid really. There's a small section of Wmspt just west and north of downtown area that can be sketchy. Mainly areas from
campbell st to high st, west to memorial avenue. The historical section of downtown wmspt where I live is very nice. If your looking for upscale then any area north of the wsmpt hospital is quite nice. Rental houses around the Brandon Park area are also nice.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:17 PM

1 posts, read 4,346 times
Hello, I am relocating to williamsport next mont but still looking for a single family home 3 bedrooms if possible. I enjoyed reading your reply to the last inquirer (momto3girls). Very good insight the area. Thanku so much.

Old 10-16-2011, 07:23 AM

102 posts, read 154,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thyckchyck33 View Post
Hello, I am relocating to williamsport next mont but still looking for a single family home 3 bedrooms if possible. I enjoyed reading your reply to the last inquirer (momto3girls). Very good insight the area. Thanku so much.
I moved out of the Wmspt area at the end of May. However, I have a good friend there who told me that there are some housing shortage issues in the area-- between the influx of gas workers and the flooding that devastated homes, housing is pretty tight right now.

I disagree with shanewilliamsport-- there are more areas than that to avoid. I would stay out of Newberry. I would avoid Lycoming Creek Road. Pretty much all of downtown, too. I don't know the directions, but we always joked that Market Street was the dividing line. Anything to the left (if you are traveling North I suppose) should be avoided. The right side is where you want to be, if you need modest housing and are living in Williamsport. East End. Grampian is beautiful, but pricy.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:49 AM

1 posts, read 3,185 times
Smile My family is also looking to relocate to Williamsport

My boyfriend's employer is now set up in the Lycoming region (involved with gas drilling) and will be there for the next 20+ years or so. I have the double task of finding a new job there as well as try to locate a rental home for us that doesn't break the budget.

I am aware that last September 2011 there was a lot of flooding in the area, I 've seen the devastation. I did see the helpful hints in the posts that recommended areas to avoid. This is good to know.

I have checked Craigslist and most homes on that list will break my monthly budget for rent for sure!!! We currently have a newly remodeled rental, 2 story. 3/BR 1 bath home in the Halifax PA area for $650/month. Rent seems high in Williamsport for homes vs. apartments (but apartments seem a little on the high side as well.)

Our lease is up now and we are on a month-to-month basis. I also need to check into the school district there (have a 12YO son) and see what it is like. He is high functioning on the autistic spectrum.

I did see the local paper mentioned so I will try to get a copy of that. Any suggestions on taking on a relocation? I decided to start with finding us a place to live- we're looking at a move before fall 2012. Is there any real estate companies in the area that have rental homes available? I don't really know where to start.
Thanks for your help!
Karen

Old 02-10-2012, 02:33 PM

9,703 posts, read 12,041,563 times
Good luck, everyone is in the same boat. All you can do is use the same resources everyone else has, such as newspapers and real estate companies. There is no magic wand or secret source.

This part of PA hasn't seen a boom like this in a century, so much so that houses around here were about the cheapest in the country.

This boom has brought in such an influx of people way, way, way beyond what the area can handle with normal growth. It's just the way it is. It's put a massive pressure on locals, especially those with their regular low wage jobs, as before they could get by fine and now the gas people pay whatever, so rent has gone through the roof. The upside is that it has brought a lot of growth to local businesses and also added a lot of good paying jobs, which just didn't exist even 5 years ago.

It's going to take a while to catch up and probably by the time it does the boom will end, just as I saw it do living previously in Texas, Oklahoma and Colorado.

Also houses are still cheap to buy and in most cases you can still buy for cheaper than it costs to rent. If you plan on staying for a while, don't bother wasting money and time on rent, just buy a house. There are still tons of houses for sale for less than $100K.

Old 04-05-2012, 07:32 AM

1 posts, read 2,480 times
I've lived in wiliamsport almost my whole life and newberry and lycoming creek are not bad places to live, better than most of williamsport. The only reason they are trying to fix up downtown is to cover up all the drugs and violience so dont let people fool you it isnt the nicest area to live in. If your planning on spending over 1,000 a month with nothing included then you'll be fine other than that good luck! coming from a younger person whom has to pay that outragious price for these half taken care of houses!!!! If you want to find a nice place your better off looking on the out skirts of williamsport. Ohh and as for the "historical" area, thats where you'll find most of your drugs and college parties. Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania