Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2009, 07:53 PM

25 posts, read 59,761 times

Advertisements

Looking at building a Deltec house (18 sided round house), but the builder apparently can't find anyone to pour a basement. Poured basements are recommended by Deltec and generally keep the voices in my head happier versus block basements (lower maintenance, less chances of cracking, etc)... but as mentioned, he can't find someone willing. May just be everyone he knows makes block basements.

Anyone know anyone who can make such a beastie in central PA? (Clearfield county) I'll call Deltec tomorrow to see if they have anyone in their rolodex, but thought I'd throw it out there just on the off-chance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2009, 10:19 PM

47 posts, read 232,108 times
Have you thought about using a superior wall system. Google it. It is essentially a pre fabricated oured wall, which in my opinion is the best. I just used it for a 5000 square foot custom home.

Old 04-22-2009, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canterm View Post
Have you thought about using a superior wall system. Google it. It is essentially a pre fabricated oured wall, which in my opinion is the best. I just used it for a 5000 square foot custom home.
interesting. what was the area and cost of the basement?

Old 04-22-2009, 01:24 AM

Basement was about 2200 square feet with 9 foot ceilings and cost about 40,000. I would say it costs about 10% more than the traditional poured walls. One thing I will point out which was a big consideration for me is that I wanted to finish the basement. The Superior Wall System is already insulated and much easier to finish because it has the cut outs for the electrical wires.

How large are you planning on the basement area being? I have a lot of experience with construction from what my home and others I have had renovated, and I would not want to do a block foundation if it was for a large area. Make sure regardless of the foundation you go with, you get a proper installer. I had a few issues here. Dont let them backfill without framing and basement walls braced, it can push them.

Old 04-22-2009, 10:27 AM

I feel the same about the block basement, don't want one.
House we're looking at building has a footprint of 1600sq.ft.
I too will finish the basement down the road, but the framing and such doesn't freak me out... I just want the best basement for a very solid house.

Old 04-29-2009, 10:17 AM

1,518 posts, read 6,692,770 times
Advanced Concrete is a Superior Walls dealer local to me and I know they travel quite a distance outside of Snyder County.

Superior Walls by Advanced Concrete Systems - Insulated Concrete Walls - Prefab Basement Walls - Precast Concrete Walls

Old 04-30-2009, 08:54 AM

149 posts, read 636,472 times
I will inquire with my mason....I am a home builder....he may have an interest. Question: 8' or 9' height wall.....because if it is 8', then you only need to pour 8" thick walls. For 9' wall, code in PA, requires a 10" thick wall. This obviously will affect the price. How would you pay for this....cash is King....and how soon to start??

Old 04-30-2009, 07:25 PM

If this was my house I would not go with anything that was not 9' or taller. If you want to finish the basement later on it is much better situation. Also if was doing poured wall I would go 10" thick regardless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
View detailed profiles of: