Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 05:58 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,329,496 times

Advertisements

Okay, that's IT!!!! With our little 93 degree preview here in SE PA for the past three days, I have absolutely decided to (someday) go North, young man I simply can't take this weather for the rest of my life - and I won't. Is there ANY place in the state's eastern portion which has cooler, drier summers? A few hours' drive from my brother and nieces won't kill me. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2009, 07:55 PM

93 posts, read 323,940 times
It doesn't always get that hot.

Old 04-28-2009, 08:36 PM

13,248 posts, read 33,351,011 times
I didn't like the days a couple of weeks ago when it was in the 40's. I figure the 90 degree days make it all even out.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:43 PM

16,563 posts, read 15,112,990 times
It'll be 64 tomorrow and raining. You are not from this neck of the woods, are you?

Old 04-29-2009, 04:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
It'll be 64 tomorrow and raining. You are not from this neck of the woods, are you?
BORN AND RAISED HERE, HR! And yes, I know the recent weather was unseasonalbe, but I STILL suffer tremendously from mid May to mid-September. It's just not worth it to me as I age. I am happiest and most active in weather from freezing to 60-65. Every year I can tolerate less heat.

So...would anyone like to proffer a suggestion or two - please? Thanks again

Old 04-29-2009, 05:05 AM

24,338 posts, read 22,887,254 times
The Poconos are the coolest spot in eastern Pa. Allentown is also a cool spot being about 5 to 10 degrees cooler than Philly and areas close by.
4 days of hot weather make up for the weeks we've had of below normal temperatures.

Old 04-29-2009, 06:38 AM

13,248 posts, read 33,351,011 times
I live near Allentown and yes, it it's often five degrees cooler then where we lived in Delaware County, but I don't think it's different enough to make it worth moving.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 04-29-2009, 07:32 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,323,950 times
You'll have to go Northwest, young man! Erie or Bradford.

Old 04-29-2009, 02:18 PM

Hmmm...perhaps I need to seriously look at New England. i love the air when it's cool or cold and crisp - humidity is like a poison to me. I so long to get out of here (but am the primary caretaker for my very frail, elderly parents). Someday...wouldn't hurt to start researching, I guess. Thanks for your responses

Old 04-29-2009, 03:15 PM

160 posts, read 635,826 times
It can get just as hot in New England! And humid!

Which can be much worse than it is here because many homes don't have a/c.

I remember one day in Concord, New Hampshire (was up there making a student film for local cable teevee) during July started off with a morning low of 32F and ended up with a high of 98F My allergies were horrible, I was covered in insect bites, and my hair bushed up like Janis Joplin from the damp air. It was more uncomfortable (for me, anyway) than the rain forests of central Mexico because of the temperature swings throughout the day.

I think where you want to live is the Scottish Highlands. Wool sweaters and/or a jacket even on July 4th (might be a bit warmer these days, haven't been back for 20 years). Never gets all the way dark at night during the summer...you can read outdoors without artificial light at 11 PM. Has similar hilly scenery to the mountain areas of PA, but without the matresses and old washers thrown into the valleys.

I've never been there, but am guessing that Erie might be the only place in PA where you're close enough to a large body of water to moderate the summer heat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania