U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-13-2010, 09:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,604 times

Advertisements

Pittsburgh Sucks : Antiquated highway system ( 2 lanes ) at best and Pittsburghers are brainwashed to drive less than 55mph. A traffic nightmare any time of the day. PENNDOT : Where does the $ go??? to Orange traffice cones.

Pittsburgh Sucks: Pittsburgher's favorite vacation spot, Ocean Beach, MD Myrtle Beach, SC or if you are lucky ...FLA Do you ever travel past the Mississippi????

Old 08-13-2010, 09:36 PM

2 posts, read 2,604 times
Pittsburghers wear blinders, last time I visited Homestead , PA. it was a war zone, the place needs a good bulldozer! Oh wait, they still believe that the steel mills will reinvent themselves. Good luck

Old 08-16-2010, 04:36 AM

1,734 posts, read 2,090,057 times
As I've mentioned before, my beef with PA is more culturally rooted than anything else. To be fair, PA is one of the most naturally beautiful states in the union and it's history and cost of living is very attractive.

But PA is a haven for roughneck attitudes and it shows. It seems most people here are all about how "Hard" they are, between the lifted trucks, tattoos and staredowns they give to everyone. I'm not about that, and therefore I do feel isolated here. Being preceived as "intellectual/soft/artsy" is a mega no-no

Old 08-16-2010, 07:29 AM

10,394 posts, read 16,679,524 times
For those of you that dislike PA, I would strongly suggest moving. We moved TO Pennsylvania about 20 years ago after living in four other states. We love it here. Great colleges, good schools, friendly people and it's beautiful. I truly don't understand why anyone would stay in a place that they don't like and then complain that they are unhappy. Change it or find someplace that suits what you want.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 09-29-2010, 12:26 PM

61 posts, read 53,240 times
I wouldn't worry about the people so much as the government services. I paid extra to expedite a vehicle title transfer at one of the state's "authorized" license centers and was told the extra $20 would speed up the process to 2 weeks instead of the standard 6. It's now been over 10 weeks and still no title. I also did a second title transfer a month later at a different center. Haven't received that one as well. The hold-up is obviously in Harrisburg.

A while back I renewed my drivers license and it never arrived in the mail. I was informed I'd have to pay for a duplicate, even though it was not my fault. The assumption is it was lost in the mail, but I always suspected it was a corrupt ruse by PennDOT to milk an extra fee. Pennsylvania is notoriously corrupt.

A few months ago I received a traffic ticket in Maryland. I paid it a little late, and PennDOT sent me a suspension notice on my drivers license if I didn't clear up the ticket by October (next week). I finally received the "citation satisfied" notice from Maryland, but now I've been told that if I want to forestall the suspension, I'll have to drive from Philly to Harrisburg and present the notice in person.

I called State Rep. John Taylor's office to see if there was any way around this and was told that you used to be able to fax such a notice in, but they changed it to make it far less convenient. Great move, Harrisburg. This probably was under Rendell's watch. It's a typical Democrat move. Like when I lived in "liberal" Santa Monica, CA, had a bout of unemployment during which my auto insurance lapsed (first time in over a decade) -- and when I got a ticket for driving without insurance I was informed that the "Peoples Republic of Santa Monica" automatically doubled the fine amount.

I'm about ready to pack up and move to a more people friendly state. Jersey has higher taxes but it's a much cleaner, prettier state. Pennsylvania never had a handle on zoning and even the old colonial era towns look like trash compared to similar neighborhoods in other states.

Philadelphia is particularly bad. Developers with vision are screwed away, while pay-to-play schemers prosper. Mayor Nutter wasn't much of a visionary, and the city hasn't progressed much under his reign. The only increases were in city fines, parking tickets, and other annoyances.
The parking authority is just as skeevy as it appears on that television show. The people who run it are moronic robots who love to dish out their authority.

Thanks to satellite TV I don't need to live in this less and less livable state to watch the Eagles.
I just hope I can find a suitable home elsewhere and sell my current one before Philly turns into Detroit.

Old 09-29-2010, 02:37 PM

1,294 posts, read 1,740,268 times
Not sure if the OP really cares about posts on this thread any more, but I would recommend State College. Dead middle of the state, decent size town (~35,000) and growing, but its very safe and has a rural feel to it. BUT it has Penn State main campus, so there is an additional 40,000 18-25 year olds, so night life and activities are there.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:41 PM

Location: Just East of the Southern Portion of the Western Part of PA
1,057 posts, read 2,013,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Spaceman View Post

Jersey has higher taxes but it's a much cleaner, prettier state.
That is the first time in my life that I have heard anyone claim Jersey was cleaner and prettier than Pennsylvania haha.

Old 09-29-2010, 03:54 PM

1,294 posts, read 1,740,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny C View Post
That is the first time in my life that I have heard anyone claim Jersey was cleaner and prettier than Pennsylvania haha.
That's because unless your totally enamored with the Shore, its basically not true.

Old 09-30-2010, 01:47 AM

1 posts, read 1,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post
Pennsylvania imports more college students from other states than any other state except Florida. Of course not all of them will stay. I bet lots of college students leave Florida too.

Furthermore, unlike any of its peer states (Illinois, Michigan, New Jersey, New York, Ohio), Pennsylvania has seen positive domestic migration in recent years. Hell, between 2008 and 2009, Pittsburgh posted a net gain of college-educated residents that was twice as large as Chicago's. And no, I'm not talking percentages either; I'm talking sheer number. ~+5,000 for Pittsburgh, ~+2,000 for Chicago.

I don't see the results of a positive domestic migration. Schools are closing and districts are consolidating. Towns are laying off employees and ending programs. Local organizations are shutting down. Hospitals are shutting down. Those figures don't add up.

Old 09-30-2010, 02:06 AM

9,674 posts, read 8,567,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lrxx View Post
I don't see the results of a positive domestic migration. Schools are closing and districts are consolidating. Towns are laying off employees and ending programs. Local organizations are shutting down. Hospitals are shutting down. Those figures don't add up.
Just because you don't see it doesn't mean it's not happening. It could mean that the people moving in just aren't moving to your area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania