Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 11:16 AM

2,290 posts, read 3,827,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomaniGypsy View Post
city trash doesn't generally move in there for the same reasons why everyone is knocking Mt. Carmel.
How do you define "city trash"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 09:06 AM

1,935 posts, read 4,777,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
How do you define "city trash"?
People who bring their "urban lifestyle" with them... the type of people who would bring typical big city crime with them (such as drug turf wars, gangs, etc), who would install burglar bars on their doors and windows because they're so used to living in a high crime area (such that they couldn't comprehend how to operate in a lower-crime, nicer area), who won't talk with their neighbors, who would try to change the area so that it had city amenities (and city taxes to fund those amenities) when most people don't need them, etc. Drive around the bad part of any decent-sized city in America at a time when lots of people are out walking the streets and you'll see exactly what I mean. Nobody in a small town or other "nice area" wants that element moving in.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:40 PM

932 posts, read 1,945,051 times
Mount Carmel is the Detroit of small towns. It's down to 1/4 of the population it used to have, large chunks of the town are boarded up. I drove through there one night while exploring Centralia, it was very creepy. Definitely not a Mayberry feel.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:20 AM

2,309 posts, read 4,384,486 times
Having lived right down the road from Mount Carmel in Lavelle for a little over 2 years I will give you my honest opinion.

The Borough of Mount Carmel and the surrounding area is defunct coal country.
The town and the area has been in decline for years.
You will see mainly two types of the population represented in the area one of which are people that are 65 plus years of age.
The second group are people attempting to make ends meet either via public assistance or low wage work.

You do have a small percentage of those that commute to Harrisburg and the surrounding metro area.
Many evenings you would find me eating at Original Italian Pizza ( OIP ) located on Oak St.
Fantastic food.

The location of Mount Carmel is a blessing and a economic curse.

It's a blessing for the town and the area to be located where it is to thwart undesirables from moving in.
I cannot say the same thing for the town of Shenandoah.
It's a curse in the fact that Mount Carmel will not see an economic recovery anytime soon.

Overall Mount Carmel and the area is extremely honest in it's presentation to the outside world.
A giant middle finger is given to people that are there to attempt any sort of change.
I appreciate that.
The area does not need changing concerning peoples values, their attitudes or their seemingly narrowed view about things that effect their community and the surrounding area.

If they don't like you you will know it.
All I did was casually mention I was from Lavelle and I was good to go.
If you do end up moving there I highly suggest attempting to blend in with the " landscape"

I'm a gun enthusiast and used to go to the open shooting range down the road about every other day.
This endeared myself to many residents of the area which in turn made life easier because I made many friends there.

In my opinion if you have to ask about Mount Carmel then Mount Carmel is not for you.

Last edited by julian17033; 09-20-2012 at 06:47 AM..

Old 09-20-2012, 09:32 AM

2,095 posts, read 3,102,717 times
Personally I find Ashland a bit more charming. I know they are similar, but during my very first trip to Centralia I marveled at the cute small town feel of Ashland. After driving through Centralia once and doubling back through Mount Carmel I noticed that town was a bit more run down. What Julian said above about those who live in Mount Carmel probably applies to both places, though. That's pandemic in most coal country towns and without industry they'll never recover.

Old 04-03-2013, 07:57 AM

1 posts, read 1,884 times
I have recently relocated to Mount Carmel as a Hurricane Sandy victim with my 4 children. Coming from the shore it was a slight culture shock but 2 weeks in we were warmly welcomed, even my mixed children who don't seem as though that is the norm here. Being a Jersey girl all my life has coined me different to begin with, lol. I have noticed the economics not so great here but a good spot to start out at, very small everybody knows everybody place and laid back, nice change of pace. I can say yes you have to drive a good distance to get to some places and 4 wheel drive comes in handy but if you are looking for a mellow spot this is the place. Reading the paper and seeing the crime is fake flowers being stolen off a grave dosen't frighten me and if that's what the biggest news is I'm okay with that. I have heard the drugs are a common place things as the kids get older teenagers and to early to be moms seems like heroin is the choice drug which I am told is manufactured in teen basements, all I can say along those lines is parents should be parenting and that wouldn't happen. I have raised 4 children on my own their whole life and not a 1 would dream of such acts. Thanks for the welcome Mount Carmel and I will be happily opening some business adventures :-)

Old 11-15-2017, 03:06 AM

2 posts, read 1,750 times
Default Beautiful small town with lovely people

I am a senior citizen and so very happy to move to Mount Carmel. I did not plan well for my retirement and was panic on how to manage paying high rent where I am! I purchased a home there with a beautiful back yard for my dogs. I am excited to see their parades, try their wings and perogies, Saturday markets and visit the diversity of churches...and of course, cheer on their athletics when I can. Happy it is elevated and has flood protections.

Old 11-15-2017, 07:21 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Mod note: This thread was started in 2009 and the OP has not posted on city-data since 2010

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania