Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-08-2009, 09:57 PM

19 posts, read 52,090 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

I was told that in PA if you move there for a job, you automatically qualify for in state tuition. I have done a search and haven't been able to find anything. Is there anyone out there that knows about this and can give me more details?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2009, 09:33 AM

43 posts, read 202,097 times
Hmmm, that's interesting. I'll have to keep my eye on this post since I was under the impression that you had to live in PA for a year before qualifying. I hope you get your answer soon and I may be able to cash in as well.

Old 05-09-2009, 10:12 AM

43,011 posts, read 107,614,039 times
Freespiritsprite is right to an extent. There's more that needs to be done other than full time employment, but it's possible to prove residency in less than 12 months.

Shippinsburg University provides detailed information:

Quote:
Establishment of Pennsylvania domicile with less than 12 months residence prior to the date of registration must be supported by proof of positive and unequivocal action. Priority consideration will normally be given to such evidence as the purchase of a Pennsylvania home, full-time employment within the state, paying Pennsylvania property tax, filing Pennsylvania income tax returns, and registering motor vehicles in Pennsylvania. Other items of importance which are required are registering to vote in Pennsylvania and the actual exercise of such right, possessing a valid Pennsylvania driver’s license, and various other acts which may give evidence of intent to remain indefinitely within the state. Proof of a number of these actions shall be considered only as evidence which may be used in determining whether or not a domicile has been established. Factors mitigating against establishment of Pennsylvania residency might include such considerations as the student not being self-supporting, being claimed as a dependent on federal or state income tax returns, or the parents’ health insurance if the parents reside out-of-state, and receiving financial assistance from state student aid programs in other states.

Pennsylvania Resident Status

Old 05-09-2009, 01:22 PM

13,248 posts, read 33,354,439 times
From PSU: Undergraduate Degree Programs: General Information

"A student who has not resided continually in Pennsylvania for a period of 12 months immediately preceding his/her initial enrollment at The Pennsylvania State University is presumed to have a non-Pennsylvania domicile."

I think it's extremely important to get this cleared with the College the applicant is thinking of attending first.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
From PSU: Undergraduate Degree Programs: General Information

"A student who has not resided continually in Pennsylvania for a period of 12 months immediately preceding his/her initial enrollment at The Pennsylvania State University is presumed to have a non-Pennsylvania domicile."
Note the word "presumed" and read the rest of the link you provided:

Quote:
Other extraordinary circumstances, which may qualify a student as a Pennsylvania resident for tuition purposes, will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
Quote:
A student requesting reclassification as a Pennsylvania resident for tuition purposes must demonstrate by clear and convincing evidence that his/her domicile is in Pennsylvania, and that his/her presence in Pennsylvania is not primarily for educational purposes. Each request shall be decided individually on the basis of all facts submitted by the petitioner. Accordingly, it is not possible to list a specific combination of factors or set of circumstances which, if met, would ensure reclassification for tuition purposes.
I think Shippensburg provides a fairly good idea of what types of things a person needs to do to win reclassification when it's a possibility.

Quote:
I think it's extremely important to get this cleared with the College the applicant is thinking of attending first.
Agreed. Alternately an applicant can chose the college accordingly too.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:03 AM

19 posts, read 52,090 times
Thanks everyone for the info so far. I have already emailed a couple colleges and plan to call several more on Monday.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:12 AM

IMHO, the whole point of residency requirements is so that residents who have been paying state taxes for years get a discount on State supported colleges. There is no edge to Pennsylvania residents as far as acceptance goes, unlike NC, where the OP is a resident. In NC, the legislature actually only allows 17 - 18% of the student body to be out of state residents and has very reduced prices for attending their colleges. I think a year residency is a good, sensible requirement and shows an intent to stay in the state. Of course, my opinion has nothing to do with what happens IRL.

freespiritsprite, I don't mean for you to take this personally and I hope you can find a college for both you and your husband no matter where it is. When my husband and I were your age, we had a similar struggle (as I mentioned on the Ed forum) and moving out of state was a solution for us.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 05-10-2009, 12:15 PM

Quote:
I think a year residency is a good, sensible requirement and shows an intent to stay in the state.
I think intent to stay is fairly irrelevant.

Many residents leave the state after graduation, and many out-of-state students actually end up staying in the state.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:08 PM

The thing about working first is it gives a new resident time to put down roots and contribute taxes. What good does it do if we just let people move here, take jobs from local residents and then get a discounted rate at our Colleges?

Again, this is not aimed at freespiritsprite who is really searching for a college and home for herself and family.

Realtors, See This.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:20 PM

44,892 posts, read 59,882,454 times
My oldest daughter went to Slippery Rock and although she lived there year round after her first year, her grandparents are all PA residents (and she used one as her home address) and she got a PA driver's license right away she was never able to establish residency in PA for tuition purposes.

As a note since this may be germaine, she went to the Rock because it had her rather esoteric Art major and because, even paying out of state tuition, it was cheaper than in state public university tuition in MD.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
View detailed profiles of: