Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2009, 02:48 PM

4 posts, read 14,591 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I currently live in the Panhandle of Florida. I have accepted a job at the Letterkenny Army depot and I start May 18th. I am looking for a relatively inexpensive place to rent with a short term lease. It will just be me for about 6 weeks then my wife will join me. After my wife joins me, we will look for a larger house to rent. But, for the first 2 months, I just need something small, cheaper and with a month to month lease if possible. Any ideas?

I did find a place over in Gettysburg. Is most of Gettysburg pretty safe?

What about down in Hagerstown, MD? Are there any bad areas there? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2009, 10:40 AM

4 posts, read 11,161 times
With you being new to the area, there will be a few things to get acquainted with as you look for rental or a purchase for residence.
There are colleges (Wilson College) & Universities close by in Shippensburg (Shippensburg U), Chambersburg and Mont Alto (Penn State U branch campus). Because of this you will not likely find many SHORT term leases or low rent. There may be some "lower rent" places in more UNdesireable areas of downtown Chambersburg so be careful in your quest for "cheap" housing. What is "cheap" to you? Perhaps a better plan is to put an ad in local paper for your request under "wanted" as well as Craig's list, online. I would recommend staying in PA, as Hagerstown (40 mile commute) is a whole new ballgame in character. All of the areas mentioned, including Gettysburg, which is 30 miles away, are pretty much safe, as we have lived in the area for over 22 years, and my husband is a retired PA State Trooper retiring from Chambersburg barracks. There were "crimes" of course, but not in the same numbers as Phila. or Pittsburgh. I will mention that the drive from Gettysburg would not be a pleasant commute every day on a slow road with school buses and no high speed highway. It is 35mph-with some 55mph speed zones all the way, with heavier traffic with tourists year round. NEW housing around Letterkenny is abundant now in both condo or single family residences. You might try [URL="http://www.rent.com"]www.rent.com[/URL] or google "for sale by owner websites" for Shippensburg & Chambersburg. Anything else?

Old 05-10-2009, 10:44 AM

4 posts, read 11,161 times
Something else to try is realtors with houses that have been on the market for a long time, might be a short term rental option. You can search online and get email notices for what you want>are> looking for in long or short term rental or purchase.

Old 05-11-2009, 01:04 PM

4 posts, read 14,591 times
Thanks for the great posts so far! I have a question. Is this address in a good area in Chambersburg?

83 Grandview Ave
Chambersburg, PA

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania