Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2007, 01:20 PM

70 posts, read 314,079 times

Advertisements

Ok I am narrowing down my search after checking out jobs I think I better stick to south of allentown so I can commute to philly. But a friend told me this is an irish neighborhood of philly and he likes it...any opinions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2007, 06:01 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,342,858 times
Darby borders Southwest Philly and is NOT a nice place to live. Avoid it.

Old 04-06-2007, 08:21 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcelle View Post
Ok I am narrowing down my search after checking out jobs I think I better stick to south of allentown so I can commute to philly. But a friend told me this is an irish neighborhood of philly and he likes it...any opinions??
You'd be best advised to narrow it down a little more. Stay away from Darby.Good grief how old is your friend? That was an Irish neighborhood about 75 years ago.

Havertown is currently an irish stronghold and a very nice community. If you are considering living in the Philly suburbs stay west of Darby,Yeadon,Folcroft,Collingdale,Clifton Heights,Sharon Hill. The further west you are the better off you are.

Good luck

Old 04-07-2007, 05:29 PM

19 posts, read 110,290 times
I don't think I heard Danny Boy playing the last time I was in Darby, either!

My sister lives in Folcroft; it is fine. They are old communities. If you want to live in a $300k condo, you can move west. My sister-in-law owns a home in Folcroft. It is a one hundred year old home that has been appreciating over the years. It has lots of room, and is more reasonable, by far, than Malvern, etc.... She could live anywhere and doesn't want to live in a development named after what USED to be there (Fox Hill), for example. I am not knocking that, but those developments are more in the $400k+ range.

As mentioned above, Havertown is nice, too.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:05 PM

1 posts, read 5,906 times
I remember Darby when it was a wonderful little town. Unfortunately, the town now is in shambles, and I understand that their schools have the police there everyday, even the grammer school. I use to live in Folcroft and I understand that the little town is still pretty good. I here that Lansdowne is the best little town in that area. People there still care about families, children and thier homes. Look there!!!! Good Luck.

Old 06-04-2007, 08:34 PM

3 posts, read 16,630 times
I just responded to someone else about Lansdowne, PA a few minutes about...it is a beautiful multicultural...still irish hamlet, great music store, lots of potential, wonderful people and it seems to be a town you either notice or drive right through...a blessing for those who don't want people from other parts discovering this soon to be discovered secret...it's listed in the May issue of Philadelphia Magazine's Best Towns Up and coming or some positive designation like that....it's a pretty isle...it has creeks, access to Drexel Hill, 10 minutes from havertown...the place others were mentioning --this is a sleepy town but adorable! Lansdowne has a really amazing sweet, small town Public Library, new Farmer's Market every Sat., a fantastic cafe : best latte east --ala Seattle....what else, it's diverse--with working class family---strong Boy & Girls Club...a very proactive volunteering community. Drive around, and be a part of this affordable place which is on the R3 line Septa.

May you land happily in your new home!

Old 02-12-2008, 01:45 PM

3 posts, read 16,464 times
In a lot of the cities, such as Drexel Hill, Folocroft, Glenolden, Briarcliffe, Clifton Heights, Prospect Park, Ridley Park, Landsdown, and Morton there are sections that are bad and good. Depending on whether the majority of it is good or bad there are both in all of them. This is concerning different streets and sections, so don't judge a town until you know it.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:42 AM

2 posts, read 7,649 times
Default Blinders on in delco

Im in agreement with an earlier posting, Darby is a complete disaster. Raised there, went to BVM and my only surviving parent sold there in 04. The area is a disgrace, no care for property,noise control,traffic,low lifes doing what ever,whenever, not good. And no Irish Music, perhaps if Butch and Kenny the WaterIce Man return we can all go back and make it the Darby Of Olde?? Until then I would stay away. And for the record, the communities within a 5mi radius of Darby are in trouble. I reside in folcroft now and the fact of the matter here is that I see things that are not good, the people here are leaving the Village as soon as they can or sooner, this is not good, we have raised our children, put them thru college, and now are being forced to move to have a better quality of life, the key here is the word "FORCED", good luck to all who choose to come to Folcroft, but the smarter will go west of Havertown, Good Luck, ps the Folcroft Girls Club Cheerleaders circa 96 thru 06 still the best Delco Has ever Had

Old 02-20-2008, 11:48 AM

274 posts, read 1,401,155 times
Maybe they were speaking of Upper Darby??? Upper Darby Township & in fact all of Delaware county has a high percentage of Irish ethnicity

Old 02-20-2008, 01:30 PM

1,742 posts, read 4,342,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesixth View Post
Maybe they were speaking of Upper Darby??? Upper Darby Township & in fact all of Delaware county has a high percentage of Irish ethnicity
You may mean "had". I go through Upper Darby and it's starting to look like Darby and some of the other Delco towns near Darby. Maybe the original poster may want to consider Springfield, Broomall, Havertown or Aston. The closer the town is to Philly the worst it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania