U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 04-09-2007, 10:14 AM

1,870 posts, read 4,099,531 times

Advertisements

Can those who live in "Lancaster county" please give me a list of the top 5 best school districts in the county? Of course we are going by your personal opinion from what you heard or experience.

We are interested in the best for education, least gangs/violence. And hopefully not an overcrowded school like here in Nevada.

Areas we are considering the Hempfield area, Manheim township & Manheim central.

Where on the list should Penn Manor fit in or Ephrata?

I have been told to check bestschools.net and yes that gives out grades, but sites like that do not mention gang presence, or if the school is overcrowded and so on.

Please help!

Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2007, 11:03 AM

10,461 posts, read 16,967,522 times
I have a relative that moved to Lampeter-Strasburg for the schools. They have three kids and have been very satisfied with the education. When they moved the youngest was in elementary and the oldest in Middle School. Oldest is now in High School. Beautiful area. I would call it a Lancaster suburb but still Lancaster mailing address. They have a website: http://www.lampstras.k12.pa.us/

Old 04-09-2007, 03:22 PM

38 posts, read 120,132 times
Lancaster County has a great reputation for public schools. I am a teacher at Warwick (Lititz, PA). Manheim Township always does very well academically and is the "rich" district. Top notch in everything but also some real arrogance.

Manheim Central is a football powerhouse. The entire town loves football, often placing more emphasis on it than academics. I would not want my kids going there.

Hempfield, Ephrata, L-S, Warwick, Cocalico, Penn Manor are are very similar. A good mix of families. Business, farmers, ect. Students who put the time in can really do well at any of these schools.

Overall, the only districts I would stay away from are Lancaster City (McCaskey), Columbia, and maybe SOLANCO (not bad or dangerous, just pretty rural).

Another district you might consider is Cornwall-Lebanon. It is North of Warwick but in Lebanon County. Homes are cheaper in the area compared to Manheim Township, Lititz, ect.

Good luck in your search. As I've said, most of the schools in this area produce successful students when compared to the rest of the state.

Old 04-09-2007, 07:23 PM

151 posts, read 553,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sslvc19 View Post
Hempfield, Ephrata, L-S, Warwick, Cocalico, Penn Manor are are very similar. A good mix of families. Business, farmers, ect. Students who put the time in can really do well at any of these schools.

Overall, the only districts I would stay away from are Lancaster City (McCaskey), Columbia, and maybe SOLANCO (not bad or dangerous, just pretty rural).
I agree totally.

Hempfield and Penn Manor would be 2 of my top chioces. I'd possibly add Conestoga Valley (east Lancaster) as well. My kids loved the schools there. Although that was a few years back. We no longer live in Pa., so that info's a little dated. We do miss Lancaster a lot though.

Old 04-17-2007, 10:46 AM

2 posts, read 7,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post
Can those who live in "Lancaster county" please give me a list of the top 5 best school districts in the county? Of course we are going by your personal opinion from what you heard or experience.

We are interested in the best for education, least gangs/violence. And hopefully not an overcrowded school like here in Nevada.

Areas we are considering the Hempfield area, Manheim township & Manheim central.

I have been told to check bestschools.net and yes that gives out grades, but sites like that do not mention gang presence, or if the school is overcrowded and so on.

Please help!

Thank you very much!

I grew up living in the Hempfield area. It is a nice area to live but the high school is like a mini college campus - the last I knew the hallways had street names so you could find your way around. Kids snotty. I transferred to Lancaster catholic - it was fantastic - and no I don't get paid to say that.
No violence high stats with kids going on to good colleges - etc.

My nieces went to Penn Manor and loved it - It is in Millersville. The school has a rep as being a farm school but I think that is not true.

McCasky in the city has a great educational problem but no way would I send my kids there - too large and violent.

Manheim township is great place to live. I'm sure they have good school district - not sure size - etc. Rumor has it that a lot of kids come from wealty families who - allegedly ignore their kids - thus drugs - etc.

Manheim central has rep of a backwards hick school. Who knows?

Country Day is expensive private school (from al over Lanc county) but has far too small of enrollment.

Linden Hall for Girls in Lititz is both day and boarding school for Girls. They are very down to earth girls with a great program.

Grade school - to me St. Leos in Hempfield is the best. Small sheltered.

Hope this helps. It really depends on type of family you are.

Old 04-18-2007, 10:24 AM

10 posts, read 41,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Positiveone View Post

Please help!

Thank you very much!
Trust me , I have lived in Lancaster county my whole life of 42 years; married 18,kids are 17,14,10. If you have young children Kissel Hill Elem ( Warwick) is Phenominal . All 3 kids went there , actually I did too ! My wife went to Hempfield ( about double the size of Warwick ) I would check out Lampeter-Strausburg/Cedar Crest/Warwick ( Lititz is very laid back,cultural,diversified,Grace Church is Phenominal also ! ) Again if you have small children I would strongly suggest Warwick. Also if you have big ,athletic ,football playing sons Warwick would also be a good fit . I would stay away from Ephrata. Penn Manor would be worth checking out . Good Luck!!

Old 07-06-2007, 06:07 PM

22 posts, read 86,973 times
Default Lancaster Co School Ratings

From what I've heard, it's 1. Hempfield, 2. Manheim, 3. Lampeter-Strasburg and that's when I stopped listening because I have a listed house in Strasburg.

If you are "house-hunting", check out For Sale By Owner (FSBO), Sell home house condo Buy Real Estate MLS. In the section titled "Buying A House ?" type in the LISTING ID: 20951438 ; then click "GO"

If you have further interest, just reply with your email address & I'll be glad to send you the Listing Data Sheet & "A Brief History" of the property which dates back to 1874.

In any case, hope you have found your answers.

Old 07-07-2007, 10:22 AM

22 posts, read 86,973 times
Default House-hunting in Lancaster Co ?

Hello again,

(Should have mentioned yesterday) - if you're "still in the hunt" and you need more info on the listing, there is a link @ bottom of webpage OR just email me direct at: rturner@thecastlegate.com

Have a lucky day, it's 07/07/07
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania