U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 07:12 AM

6 posts, read 32,052 times
Exclamation York, Pa What is it like living there?

I am thinking of moving to York,Pa from ****ty Kissimmee,fl to be closer to family.( My family lives in Maryland, Ohio,NYC and DC. )I have Two kids under 3. My husband and I make 70,000 together. Here are some questions if anyone can help, please it will be apperciated.

Is the town diverse? ( I mean in the sense of culutre not race.)
Is there reliable public transportation?
How is the Arts held there? Is it an art colony?
Education? Cost of rent? How much to buy a house?
Is the town developing? Good or bad parts of town? Anything logical that will assist with my decision. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 11:12 AM

3,183 posts, read 2,830,082 times
Depends where you are in York. York County has pretty much everything - urban (York City), and many suburban and rural areas. Especially with two small kids, most people would probably tell you to avoid at least living in York City, although that's probably your best bet as far as actual artsy stuff, but you could always go to Harrisburg (~35 minutes), Baltimore (<1 hour), or even Philadelphia (~2 hours) if York didn't have what you were looking for in that department.

I hope you didn't enjoy the weather too much in FL because the weather in the area isn't the greatest, cold as heck in the winter, hot as heck in the summer and not a whole lot in between. You also won't be as close to the beach as you were in FL (although I know Kissimmee is kinda in the middle of FL); it's about 3 hours to either Ocean City MD or the South Jersey shore.

I don't think the public transportation is the greatest either. One good new thing is a commuter bus line that goes to Harrisburg (and I think they might have one going to Baltimore now too?).

Overall, the cost of living in York and most of Central PA is pretty low. You can probably get a decent house (3 bed, 2 bath) for ~200K.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:55 PM

Wow, thanks. I don't miss the beach. I am city girl. Do you think york is an up and coming town?

Old 06-17-2009, 07:18 PM

3,054 posts, read 4,968,026 times
If you're not tied to, say, Baltimore commuting, you might want to consider the Harrisburg area (not city, with kids, but some of the surrounding communities) or Lancaster (some parts of city OK, surrounding communities have reputation as unfriendly to outsiders) as potential alternatives. Both are on Amtrak; York is not. Both are discussed a good bit in this forum, try search.

York has maintained more basic industry than surrounding areas - it's probably easier for a machinist, say, to find work in York than many other places.

York County seems to have a deep odd right wing streak - see Richard Nixon County Park or NOVA | Intelligent Design on Trial | PBS for a couple of examples. But anywhere in south central PA is not known for its political liberalism.

Old 06-18-2009, 03:23 PM

114 posts, read 571,852 times
York- will fight the New World Order. Some of preparing for civil war- which we expect before 2013.

Central PA- will fare better then the rest of the country. Arkansas- will fare well- Switzerland will be safer- a batch of Americans expected to flee to Canada which will - the out come will be a better fare then the USA.

BTW- anyone distracted by the fake left -right thing- will not come out of the war intact.

Old 06-18-2009, 05:01 PM

3,054 posts, read 4,968,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetcliff View Post
York- will fight the New World Order.
I think they already are...

(case in point!)

Old 06-18-2009, 07:46 PM

New world order? Civil war 2013? What does this have to do with penn? Explain pls.

Old 06-19-2009, 06:17 AM

Wow, thanks for the links. Well, I am a paralegal and I applied to several jobs in the area. My Husband is a Marketing Director. I would like to stay away from the city, but be near by. I can't deal with the govt agenda to genefricate all of america's cities. I am sure York is next on the list.

Old 07-15-2009, 12:21 AM

3 posts, read 8,401 times
Default Hello from York!

I'm a physician and have lived in York for one year before deciding to buy here. I bought a house in the city...a beautiful, completely remodeled row home for 69,000. The cost of home was so low due to the neighborhood being mixed race/ethnicity. Many people are scared to live in a place with different types of people. I'm not scared AND I believe York is up and coming. We have a lot of interest in the arts and many new restaurants and downtown development projects. Sure there is some crime like any city, but so what - that's normal to have some crime. In any case, I love York, enjoy the quality of life, and also enjoy the process of helping and watching the city improve as each day goes by.

Old 07-15-2009, 08:34 AM

5,749 posts, read 6,539,708 times
My sister went to college there...she got a bunch of stuff stolen...she hated it there, but that is only the opinion of one girl. She didn't feel safe there...she ended up transferring to another school after her first year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania