U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 06-13-2009, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,083 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone...

I have been researching different places to live in the country because I am simply ready to move to experience a new life. I lived in the West Chester area way back in the 1980's (when it was affordable). I would like to live on the East Coast, preferably Pennsylvania. What is a little daunting is the snowfall and the cold weather....but I had such a good experience overall, it did feel like home.

Children's schools are not important to me as my children are grown.

I am, however, looking for......

1. a viable, creative, veggie-food friendly (should have a health food store at least).

2. with great bookshops, antique shops (I may decide to open one), cafes. A place for cultural creatives, I suppose.

3. I would also prefer a college town simply because I would like to go back to graduate school to do another degree in the arts or theology--and I don't like huge cities.

4. It should have affordable housing. I like older homes with a yard for my dog...nothing fancy but properties with character of some sort---low property taxes. (Gosh, is that possible??)

5. It should be relatively near to a major airport.

6. It should not have super crime problems. A community spirit and friendly would be great...but not a place where I have to keep looking over my shoulder when I walk in the evenings.

7. I guess I am looking for a lovely town with a square and nice interesting people who read books (once in a while) and ponder the secrets of the universe...or know where that extra sock goes in the dryer cycle.

8. Near some shopping would be ideal, too...sometimes I need art supplies from Hobby Lobby or Michael's and enjoy larger shops...but not necessarily all the time. Twice a month journeys to major shopping would be okay. I just don't want to be stuck where I have to get on a highway to get everything I need.

I like the idea of Bucks County...but am open to all areas that are still in Pennsylvania....mid-Penn to the East...if they meet the above criteria.

If you know of a town that is similar to the above but NOT in Pennsylvania....let me know, too. I am open to investigating most options.

Someone mentioned Carlisle to me...? Not sure as I am unfamiliar with that area but there is a college there.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

Best wishes!
Jo
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2009, 03:50 PM

10,395 posts, read 16,699,897 times
The only thing missing is the price you are willing to pay - that will be the difference between the different parts of the state.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 06-13-2009, 07:44 PM

188 posts, read 414,339 times
It sounds like the State College area may work for you. Maybe Bellefonte, which is a lovely victorian town just minutes from State College. The people are really friendly, there are lovely older homes, and there are cute shops dontown, plus a park. It's small-about 6,000 people. But again, State College has all of your shopping areas, plus Penn State. Lemont and Boalsburg are two other small villages outside State College. Lewisburg maybe another idea; Bucknell is located there. I have never been there, but I've heard good things about it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania