U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2009, 03:39 PM

1,331 posts, read 1,788,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susquehannock View Post
I agree. My post was originally in response to the Daily Item anyway and no specific individuals.
I think emotions get the best of both sides on matters of this nature. No hard feelings on my end as we all have a right to our opinions/beliefs. It can be hard to keep the emotions in check with such a controversial subject matter sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawne View Post
This was a big topic of discussion at the Upper Susquehanna Synod Assembly (of the ELCA) held this weekend at Susquehanna University. There are currently gays in the ordained Lutheran ministry in a kind of "don't ask, don't tell" way and as long as they're not practicing (or found out by someone who makes it an issue) it's been okay. The issue before the entire ELCA, to be voted on later this year, is whether to allow openly gay and practicing homosexuals to become ordained ministers, or to continue in the ministry if they become practicing. As you can imagine, there was much discussion on both sides of the issue. The local synod basically came to the consensus to let things as they are. I don't know what will happen at the national assembly later this year. It will be interesting, to say the least.

Anyway, my point (sorry I tend to ramble on) is that I'm wondering how much the front page article was inspired by the debate at SU this weekend.
Thanks Dawne for posting that as I was unaware that had happened over the weekend. Healthy discussion is the best route for subjects of this nature. I liked that the Daily Item article focused on speaking about the violence that occurs and seemed to steer away from taking sides on the gay rights/issues matter.

Old 06-24-2009, 02:50 PM

160 posts, read 394,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dblea65 View Post
Now thats Funny... Religion accepting Gays... I wonder if they've read the Bible... I feel sorry for the people that are truely gay... there is something seriously wrong with them mentally... As for the ones that choose to be gay, they also have issues...
And there will always be violence against gays when it forced to be accepted...
Children are messed up enough today... This issue will only make it worse for generations to come...
Gay people are citizens, and they have rights. Why does it matter to you -- or anyone -- what happens in the intimate lives of two (or more!) consenting adults?

The factor behind most of man's inhumanity to man throughout history has been ideology, mostly religious in nature. I feel sorry for the people that are bigots and use the Deity as an excuse for their narrow-mindedness. Bigotry and belonging to a church that promotes hate is something people choose. children are messed up enough today... Religions encouraging self-righteous displays of bigotry will only make it worse for generations to come...

Old 06-24-2009, 11:18 PM

50 posts, read 291,327 times
So you are justifying violence against gays just because they want the same rights as straight couples? You are exactly the type of person who would have been against civil rights in the 60s.

No I am not supporting violence in anyway... They already get the same rights as Straight Couples!!! I lived with my female companion for years. My benifits were/are not available to her... The Goverment has no right to Marriage launguage... Marriage is Religous... Stop picking the Fly **** out of the Black Pepper... Live in peace, just don't expect me to welcome your life style... or change my beliefs!!!

Old 06-24-2009, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BackToTheCityMouse View Post
Gay people are citizens, and they have rights. Why does it matter to you -- or anyone -- what happens in the intimate lives of two (or more!) consenting adults?

The factor behind most of man's inhumanity to man throughout history has been ideology, mostly religious in nature. I feel sorry for the people that are bigots and use the Deity as an excuse for their narrow-mindedness. Bigotry and belonging to a church that promotes hate is something people choose. children are messed up enough today... Religions encouraging self-righteous displays of bigotry will only make it worse for generations to come...
It doesn't matter to me what they do... but I don't want to hear about it or have it flaunted in my face or in front my family... Didn't take long to get the Bigot out of you... Just because I don't agree and do not accept does not make me a Bigot!!!

Old 06-25-2009, 11:42 AM

160 posts, read 394,424 times
Marriage is not religious. Marriage is about property and the economy of the community. Seriously, when I got married, no one asked me "Lady, do you believe?" I had to provide documents establishing my legal identity.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:25 PM

Quote:
It doesn't matter to me what they do... but I don't want to hear about it or have it flaunted in my face or in front my family... Didn't take long to get the Bigot out of you... Just because I don't agree and do not accept does not make me a Bigot!!!
I take it you'd be happy if we all stayed in the closet so you don't have to deal with us or god forbid explain to your children that some people are attracted to the same sex? Sweep it under the rug and act like it doesn't exist? It amazes me how much drama people create with the situation. Gay folks wouldn't be fighting for their rights and being "loud" about it if we weren't discriminated against in the first place. I imagine you think that by "flaunting" you think we want to talk about sex in front of you in places like work, schools, church, etc. That is not clearly the case. We should have every right to be able to speak about our spouses/significant others just like straight people do everywhere. If you don't want people "flaunting" their sexuality then perhaps straight people should stop having pictures of their families at work or talking about what they did the past weekend. Those against gay folks act like the gays are out there constantly making out. groping, or having public sex in front of your family which is most certainly not the case. We have no interest in trying to recruit, molest your children, or turn people gay too which I hear all the time. It's all about equality and not being treated like second rate citizens. We have every right to speak of our lives just like straight people do. It's sad that some people have to resort to saying that all we want to do is have the right to talk about our sex lives in front of others......so clearly clueless.......

Old 06-25-2009, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
We should have every right to be able to speak about our spouses/significant others just like straight people do everywhere. If you don't want people "flaunting" their sexuality then perhaps straight people should stop having pictures of their families at work or talking about what they did the past weekend. We have every right to speak of our lives just like straight people do. It's sad that some people have to resort to saying that all we want to do is have the right to talk about our sex lives in front of others......so clearly clueless.......
First off... You can not have a same sex spouse in PA... that is a significant other... You have the same rights as I do. As a Normal Couple, I should be allowed to Show pictures of my Family and Children, There my Children, It is impossible for same sex people to have a family on there own...
This subject we are never going to come on any type of agreement because you are right, I want you to stay in the closet... As far as explaining it... I explain it as if you are mentally ill... and they have not yet found a cure... And it's contagious, so don't get to close. Don't try and be nice to them as they will not go away... Stuff like that. I am not going to reply again as theres no way we will gain anything... I do wish you a happy life...

Old 06-26-2009, 06:21 AM

1,099 posts, read 3,049,407 times
Quote:
First off... You can not have a same sex spouse in PA... that is a significant other... You have the same rights as I do. As a Normal Couple, I should be allowed to Show pictures of my Family and Children, There my Children, It is impossible for same sex people to have a family on there own...
This subject we are never going to come on any type of agreement because you are right, I want you to stay in the closet... As far as explaining it... I explain it as if you are mentally ill... and they have not yet found a cure... And it's contagious, so don't get to close. Don't try and be nice to them as they will not go away... Stuff like that. I am not going to reply again as theres no way we will gain anything... I do wish you a happy life...
You are an absolutely awful person. You have some deep prejudices that you need to work out. Good luck with that.

Old 06-26-2009, 06:41 AM

1,344 posts, read 1,410,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
Why am I not surprised that you'd be the first to try to stir things up? Thanks for trying to turn this thread into a bickering war already. I'm actually quite happy it makes people like you upset though.
Isn't creating a bickering war the real reason for these 'hate' threads?

Old 06-26-2009, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Wow......I guess in a way these posters show just how much hate, untruths/lies, double standards, silly thinking, and prejudice exists in the world. I feel sorry that people still hold onto these fears and old thinking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
Isn't creating a bickering war the real reason for these 'hate' threads?
Well the article was about violence against gay individuals in the area. It was not about if being gay is right or wrong. It had nothing to do about "flaunting" the "lifestyle". It was about gays facing horrible violence both of a physical and mental nature. If the thread concentrated on the subject of the article there was no reason for it to degenerate into a battle of calling gay folks mentally ill or slamming us just because some people think it's wrong. The opening post, which kept a nuetral tone, even stated that the thread wasn't for a battle if you think being gay is right or wrong.......it was to show that gay poeple do face some hardships in the area because they are gay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania