U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Closed Thread Start New Thread

Unread 06-21-2009, 12:26 PM

1,322 posts, read 1,639,078 times
Default Great Daily Item article: Violence reflects national findings: Valley gays harassed

The Daily Item, Sunbury, PA - Violence reflects national findings: Valley gays harassed

Quote:
Some Valley gays and lesbians say their encounters with violence and harassment are becoming more frequent, an increase in confrontations that mirrors a new national study that reports a sharp rise in sexually oriented hate crimes in 2008.
Great article from The Daily Item. Just wanted to post it for anybody who hasn't checked it out and would like to read it. This thread is not intended for a hot discussion that leads to arguments. Just wanted to post the article as it is well done, shows some of the things gay PA folks in the Snyder/Union/Northumberland counties areas deal with on a daily basis (but also points out that there is a level of tolerance in the area too), and outstanding to see it on the front page of The Daily Item.

Last edited by R.J. MacReady; 06-21-2009 at 12:50 PM..

Unread 06-21-2009, 01:24 PM

388 posts, read 972,505 times
I almost puked when I saw that as the lead story on Father's Day. The Daily item has turn into in liberal rag. Not one mention in the whole edition that it''s Father's Day. If it was some idiotic feel-good holiday or celebration it would be plastered all over the front page.

I'm not condoning it, but the violence and harassment will continue to get worse as long as "the in your face attitude and tactics' persist. Some people who haven't been brainwashed don't like things they're opposed to shoved down their throats.

Unread 06-21-2009, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by susquehannock View Post
I almost puked when I saw that as the lead story on Father's Day. The Daily item has turn into in liberal rag. Not one mention in the whole edition that it''s Father's Day. If it was some idiotic feel-good holiday or celebration it would be plastered all over the front page.

I'm not condoning it, but the violence and harassment will continue to get worse as long as "the in your face attitude and tactics' persist. Some people who haven't been brainwashed don't like things they're opposed to shoved down their throats.
Why am I not surprised that you'd be the first to try to stir things up? Thanks for trying to turn this thread into a bickering war already. I'm actually quite happy it makes people like you upset though.

Unread 06-21-2009, 01:46 PM

Then why did you post it?

You just confirmed the point I was making.

Besides you're the one 'bickering.'

"shows some of the things gay PA folks in the Snyder/Union/Northumberland counties areas deal with on a daily basis "

Unread 06-21-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Then why did you post it?

You just confirmed the point I was making.

Besides you're the one 'bickering.'

"shows some of the things gay PA folks in the Snyder/Union/Northumberland counties areas deal with on a daily basis "
Honestly stop your trolling. Nothing I stated before you had to throw in your piece was even close to bickering. This thread was not intended for a discussion if you think being gay is right or wrong. It was posted for those interested in reading the article.......nothing was said about you or anybody else needing to be supportive of gay people. I was clear in the original post that this was not posted for a 'hot discussion.' But you seem to be fishing for a reaction and sadly I'm giving you one.

And your little bit about us being "in your face" with our attitudes.....you are the first to moan and be "in your face" with your outdated thinking whenever something related to being gay is posted here. It actually makes me happy that you will have to "put up" with gay issues like these and makes me smile that it upsets people with your outdated thinking.

Unread 06-21-2009, 02:03 PM

[quote]It actually makes me happy that you will have to "put up" with gay issues like these and makes me smile that it upsets people with your outdated thinking. [quote]

You made my point again.

If you didn't want discussion, you should not have posted it. You wanted a "Breeder"(s) (that is one of the names you call us) to respond. That's why you posted it. I'm not afraid of being called names and I'll give my opinions anytime. I was wondering how long it would take to bring out the 'bigot' word. Go ahead, it doesn't bother me.

Unread 06-21-2009, 02:11 PM

Quote:

You made my point again.

If you didn't want discussion, you should not have posted it. You wanted a "Breeder"(s) (that is one of the names you call us) to respond. That's why you posted it. I'm not afraid of being called names and I'll give my opinions anytime. I was wondering how long it would take to bring out the 'bigot' word. Go ahead, it doesn't bother me.
Discussion? What you posted was an attempt to bait for a response. Where's the namecalling? Honestly let's just drop it as this is going to go nowhere productive. You feel the way you do.....I feel the way I do......... The article is posted for those interested in reading it.

Unread 06-21-2009, 02:25 PM

1,684 posts, read 1,847,814 times
Gays need to get with the program and start carrying firepower.

Unread 06-21-2009, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by R.J. MacReady View Post
Discussion? What you posted was an attempt to bait for a response. Where's the namecalling? Honestly let's just drop it as this is going to go nowhere productive. You feel the way you do.....I feel the way I do......... The article is posted for those interested in reading it.
I agree. My post was originally in response to the Daily Item anyway and no specific individuals.

Unread 06-21-2009, 02:58 PM

1,483 posts, read 4,115,893 times
This was a big topic of discussion at the Upper Susquehanna Synod Assembly (of the ELCA) held this weekend at Susquehanna University. There are currently gays in the ordained Lutheran ministry in a kind of "don't ask, don't tell" way and as long as they're not practicing (or found out by someone who makes it an issue) it's been okay. The issue before the entire ELCA, to be voted on later this year, is whether to allow openly gay and practicing homosexuals to become ordained ministers, or to continue in the ministry if they become practicing. As you can imagine, there was much discussion on both sides of the issue. The local synod basically came to the consensus to let things as they are. I don't know what will happen at the national assembly later this year. It will be interesting, to say the least.

Anyway, my point (sorry I tend to ramble on) is that I'm wondering how much the front page article was inspired by the debate at SU this weekend.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania