U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-30-2009, 12:08 PM

29 posts, read 66,406 times
Thanks for the info and feedback. If you are from PA,you know its probably hopeless. Anyway I was just curious and wanted to help someone gain something that would make them happy in life.

If anyone has any info on EXPUNGE or BLOCKING records in PA, let me know.

Thanks-
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-31-2009, 09:29 AM

3,756 posts, read 5,290,616 times
You can not expunge or block records if there are any finger prints involved. If one set went to the FBI - they stay there.

Unread 07-13-2011, 10:53 AM

1 posts, read 697 times
I live in NYS and I recently graduated in a degree in Teaching. However, I have not been able to secure a job. My state has given me the certification, but the city will not allow me to teach. My felony was over 17 years ago and I did obtain a certificate of disability, but I don't think it matters. This is a second career and in my previous career I was always able to get a job. However, since the economic downturn it seems companies are really discriminating as soon as you answer yes to the criminal record question.

Unread 07-13-2011, 01:30 PM

9,848 posts, read 14,578,526 times
I don't think it's discrimination as much as the law of supply and demand. There are hundreds of unemployed/underemployed teachers vying for the same jobs and only the ones that are connected or have some sort of hook are getting hired.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Unread 07-13-2011, 03:59 PM

1,245 posts, read 1,731,159 times
Just to add another point. If someone is a first time offender and depending on the crime, they can apply for ARD (Accelerated Rehabilitative Disposition). After successful completion of ARD the record of the crime is expunged.

I know someone who is currently teaching in a Montgomery County PA school district who had a DUI in college, applied for ARD and had her record expunged.

Unread 07-14-2011, 08:22 AM

519 posts, read 1,547,518 times
I know of a few teachers who got DUI's while they had a job and they kept their job without any disciplinary action by the district

Unread 07-21-2011, 04:41 AM

14,161 posts, read 7,331,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarge1 View Post
I am in need of information regarding teaching and the requirements to become one in PA and Beyond. Can you become a teacher if you have a felony record or any kind of record? If yes, should you be able to? If anyone knows any place to find the correct info or has correct info please respond.

Ex.
At 18 yr olds a kid gets a felony and serves his time.
At 26yrs old gets a DUI and serves his time.
This person has not been in trouble besides the above. Has been helping area youth for many years.
Can he become a teacher?
Should he be able to teach?
Answering without reading other responses. I think he should be able to teach. Whether he can or not is a different story.

Unread 07-21-2011, 04:44 AM

14,161 posts, read 7,331,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
i think it should be for most felonies, not sure or care what the kids think--the parents are the adults and theft is just as bad as the other issues in my book.
I am an adult and a parent. If a person with a record has proven they cleaned themselves up and worked for a degree, I would have no issue with this person teaching my child.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania