U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 07:25 AM

26,551 posts, read 47,250,040 times

Advertisements

By the way, this all spouted off because "BonBon" struck a nerve with me in her attempts to tell people that there isn't a problem here with tolerance when there IS! I had my unpleasant run-ins with bigots in my high school downplayed and "swept under the rug" left and right all the time a few years ago, and we need to be shedding the light on just how callous and judgmental so many people around here truly are in order to try to promote tolerance to make life easier for future generations of minorities in the region. As more and more people from NY/NJ continue to move into our region, this will undoubtedly include a larger population of minorities as well, and I just don't want them coming here thinking that Scranton is a large, harmonious melting pot (based solely upon what they hear from those with 100% rose-colored glasses) when in reality MANY people here are prejudiced and narrow-minded.

Granted, our area has a low cost-of-living, convenience to major metros without the crime issues, great schools, parks, and entertainment, but I often find that the PEOPLE here in Scranton as compared to the other areas I've visited on a long-term basis are more "suspicious" acting and have a greater aura of a superior "self-reverence", which I don't appreciate very much at all. It's one thing to be religious (I'm a proud Christian and church volunteer myself), but it's another thing entirely to twist Christianity into a faith that is aimed at ridiculing, taunting, and spreading hatred towards people with "differences." Do you think Jesus, if he were walking the earth today, would approve of groups such as the KKK or anti-gay organizations that claim affiliations with the church? Just when did our nation (or at least just this area) become so hateful and twisted? I think people around here need to find a hobby that is better than witch-hunting!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2006, 01:22 PM

1,130 posts, read 157,614 times
You are such a good writer Scranton. And what you state is so true.

Old 08-17-2006, 01:56 PM

1,130 posts, read 157,614 times
ScrantonWilkesBarre,
Don't let anybody talk to you that way! You are far from a fool. You are a very nice person, if I have to say so myself. Just keep up what you are doing and be proud of who you are.
Bam

Old 08-17-2006, 03:49 PM

1,317 posts, read 3,435,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
You may like to think that the region is "pro-diversity", but as for me, I've been stuck on the other end of the stick for far too long, and I'm about ready to bite back.
I think a big part of the issue here is based on the fact that people in this part of the country want you to stay in the closet. Please don't take this as a personal attack, but a lot of people in the more conservative areas feel that if you accept open homosexuality in the community, you are telling your kids that it is OK for them to be the same way. And a lot of parents are not comfortable/able to address the issue with their own kids, so the behaviors they display in public to the gay population is cold and unaccepting. They want their kids to act the same way - which is why you are encountering the BS in your school. Which is deplorable IMO. IMO people are entitled to their own beliefs regarding sexual orientation but they should also respect other people's feelings too.

I personally have no beef with people who are gay. I just ask that they act according to my same set of standards I expect out of heterosexual people. No excessive PDA, don't flaunt/push your sexuality on me or my family and don't sexually harass me while I am at work! (I had a gay coworker seriously sexually harass me at work and the job would not take adm action on her because she was gay - that is not right!)

This area is hardly as cold as the West TX/NM area...want to talk about a BAD place to live if you are gay..

Old 08-18-2006, 06:28 PM

26,551 posts, read 47,250,040 times
The sad part is that people in this area still have the mindset that homosexuality is some sort of contagious disease that preys upon unsuspecting children. I never asked for this life, nor do I enjoy living it. If it were up to me, I'd be living in my restored Victorian home in the Upper Hill of Scranton, where I'd spend my weekends walking my three kids to Nay Aug Park to play ball, cruise down the water slides, and visit the animals at the zoo. I'd spend every Monday-Friday walking to work at my office downtown, where I'd walk to meet my wife for lunch everyday at Brixx, or Trolley's, or Banshee, or some other hip little pub. THAT is the life I truly do want, but it is unfortunately one that I can't attain for some odd reason.

As long as I'm continually treated like I have some sort of "cooties" and need to be shut out of social events, I'll continue to be bitter. I'm very upbeat and positive about our area in general, but the people here just need to colllectively take a deep breath and RELAX! LOL! Contrary to what the media or right-wing organizations may say, ALL individuals in each minority group in existence are NOT bad people!

Since I'm sick of making this innocent thread out to seem like Dr. Phil's Happy Hour of Power, I'm going to stop the comments at this. I just hope those of you reading this have learned just a bit of tolerance from this thread---As Dr. King would say "Judge not a man by the color of his skin, but by the content of his character." Give everyone a chance to prove themselves worthy of your friendship and neighborhood acceptance before forming negative, cruel prejudices about them. Thank you. ;o)

Old 08-25-2006, 02:54 PM

467 posts, read 1,002,249 times
Smile Bushkill

My advice is to stay out of Bushkill and Pine Ridge and Saw Creek..Now these
communities were nice when they were first built but unfortunately times have changed and they are no longer nice places...oh, they are cheap all
right you can get a nice house...but not nice places to live...trust me, I lived
in the Poconos for 10 years...not in a development. the traffic on Route 209
is horrerndous due partially to the **** flea market on 209 which is open on
weekends..although if this bypass is every built I understand they will lose
some of this flea market to parking for the Martz buses that go into Manhattan..the worst thing is the railroad..which they promised would come
baco to N.E. Pa...that still hasn't happened so the commute can be a real
challenge into N.J. on route 80.....There is crime everywhere so you can't
get away from it that's for sure no matter what state you live in..hope you
can find something...WE lived in Middle Smithfield township...and except for
the **** traffic I liked it.....you can get around the traffic coming off of 80
from N.J. or N.Y...take the first exit at Delaware Water Gap and come up
on River Road or take the second exit for Marshalls Creek and make a right
rurn on Buttermilk Falls Road go past the Shawnee Mt. resort and hook up
with River Road...it takes you back into 209 above the flea market mess.
If I were you I would go up and stay for a long weekend take a ride around
and see what you like....talk to some of the locals in a restaurant...jobs
are scarce there...It took me several years to find a decent paying part
time job for a Dr. but I miss my house and go back to visit...It's still beautiful
up there especially in the fall and the day trips to Jim Thorpe and Bethlehem
especially at Christmas time are well worth it......Good Luck

Old 08-27-2006, 10:46 PM

2,157 posts, read 5,175,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pensypat View Post
I'm in Wayne county and cell phone use is very spotty here. It does not work at all in many places. In fact, we don't even have cable TV on our street so we have satellite TV instead. (otherwise we would hardly get any TV at all) Oh....and no high speed internet either since there is no cable TV, and no DSL either. Our phone equipment is antique and often quirky. We could get high speed internet off the satellite dish, but that is very expensive IMO. For those who wish to move to the country, keep these things in mind.

We had Adams cable internet at the Hideout in Wayne Cnty and it was one of the best cable internet providers we ever had. In fact it's one reason we are watching the real estate market there as when it collapses like everywhere else we plan to buy a second house up there....in the Hideout

True about the cell phone however my Alltel worked pretty good there. "pretty good".

Old 08-28-2006, 01:45 PM

4,386 posts, read 4,133,611 times
Just came back from Vacation in Poconos. There is talk of over 5,000 homes being built in Bushkill in a new development. I would hate to see the effect it will have on traffic and schools. I love visiting the area, but have noticed a definite trend in suburbinizing the 209 area around Marshall's Creek. More northern areas such as Cresco and Mountain home have not really changed all that much from what I can see. My biggest worry would be employment as there are no real jobs that could support a family, especially as the Mc Mansions are being put up with a price tag of over 500K!

Old 08-28-2006, 02:02 PM

467 posts, read 1,002,249 times
to Fopt65...you are right about the traffic around Marshalls Creek..Until this
bypass is built (if ever) and they bring the commuter trains back..I don't know
where they will put all this traffic..It used to be only bad on weekends, but
it has gotten worse all week too with the growth of the area. Cresco is nice
and if you drive up route 447 out of East Stroudsburg and 191 there are some
beautiful areas..but again it depends on where you would work and the commute.

Old 11-12-2006, 01:21 AM

11 posts, read 54,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
The sad part is that people in this area still have the mindset that homosexuality is some sort of contagious disease that preys upon unsuspecting children. I never asked for this life, nor do I enjoy living it. If it were up to me, I'd be living in my restored Victorian home in the Upper Hill of Scranton, where I'd spend my weekends walking my three kids to Nay Aug Park to play ball, cruise down the water slides, and visit the animals at the zoo. I'd spend every Monday-Friday walking to work at my office downtown, where I'd walk to meet my wife for lunch everyday at Brixx, or Trolley's, or Banshee, or some other hip little pub. THAT is the life I truly do want, but it is unfortunately one that I can't attain for some odd reason.

As long as I'm continually treated like I have some sort of "cooties" and need to be shut out of social events, I'll continue to be bitter. I'm very upbeat and positive about our area in general, but the people here just need to colllectively take a deep breath and RELAX! LOL! Contrary to what the media or right-wing organizations may say, ALL individuals in each minority group in existence are NOT bad people!

Since I'm sick of making this innocent thread out to seem like Dr. Phil's Happy Hour of Power, I'm going to stop the comments at this. I just hope those of you reading this have learned just a bit of tolerance from this thread---As Dr. King would say "Judge not a man by the color of his skin, but by the content of his character." Give everyone a chance to prove themselves worthy of your friendship and neighborhood acceptance before forming negative, cruel prejudices about them. Thank you. ;o)
Kudos to you Scranton. Being gay is not a choice. If someone's child is going to be straight they will, if they're going to be gay, they will. How many gay's have I encountered in my lifetime and I'm still straight? I can't believe her comment in this day and age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania