Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2006, 05:18 AM

84 posts, read 317,786 times

Advertisements

I'm in Wayne county and cell phone use is very spotty here. It does not work at all in many places. In fact, we don't even have cable TV on our street so we have satellite TV instead. (otherwise we would hardly get any TV at all) Oh....and no high speed internet either since there is no cable TV, and no DSL either. Our phone equipment is antique and often quirky. We could get high speed internet off the satellite dish, but that is very expensive IMO. For those who wish to move to the country, keep these things in mind.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2006, 08:14 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,093,179 times
I have Verizon as my cell phone carrier, and use in Pike County is spotty. I can't get a signal in my mom's house in Dingmans Ferry, but I can get a signal if I stand in her driveway. lol She just upgraded to DSL; cable internet is not available there yet. There is racism, moreso than in NJ, mostly (in my experience) from the older people who have lived there for a long time. People 50 and under, most have moved there from FL, NJ, or NY and are more open-minded. I personally have never heard of any hate crimes or anything like that happening in Pike County. One of the 3 township supervisors in Dingmans is Puerto Rican. There are a handful of hispanic and african-american people. There are large summer camps for Hassidic (sp) Jewish people but I don't know much about that.

Old 07-17-2006, 05:02 PM

12 posts, read 57,881 times
I'm in Stroudsburg and have never had a problem with cell service with Verizon. Nice place to live and excellent schools. Put two kids through and both received huge scholarships to college. Proximity to NYC has made this area very diverse. Very close to Rt. 80 (I'm 6 mi away).

Old 07-18-2006, 07:50 PM

32,616 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Let me start by saying that as a gay person myself, the fact that you're a mixed-race family moving to Pennsylvania is going to be HARSH! I live in Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, a metro with 750,000 people, and if people HERE aren't too open-minded about homosexuals, African-Americans, Hispanics (heard about the recent brew-ha-ha on CNN in Hazleton?), etc., then I can only imagine how rude they're going to be "out in the country." Just that one reply that assumes that gay people are going to be detrimental to children's well-being offended me quite a bit, and I've heard MUCH worse here in Scranton from peoples' mouths!

If you truly want to move to Pennyslvania, then just grow a thick skin to stares and comments. Other than that, most of our schools in NEPA are excellent, crime is lower than it is in much of NY/NJ, commuting is convenient, and housing is very affordable. I'm sure, unfortunately, that my warning about the "narrow minds" will probably scare you away, but this area is very nice if you can just learn to deal with people who care more about how OTHERS live than about how THEY are saving their own souls! ;o)

Old 08-14-2006, 02:28 PM

1 posts, read 5,563 times
Default Bushkill

I currently Live in Bushkill in the Pine Ridge community for more then 2 years. I would have to say that some people were wrong about the cell phone use. We currently got 4 new towers in the area from verizon and when i first move there it was hard to get reception. Now i do get reception. It can get spotty in some areas but not for long as it is in between the mountains. As for work there is no work in Bushkill, you can try in Stroudsburg, PA but not high paying jobs. I commute to NJ Parsipanny every day and find the drive not to bad depending on the traffic in NJ. As for traffic leaving in the morning up 209 its absolutely fine but in the evenig some times it can get a little packed before u make the right hand turn. However there are many back ways that only take me 15 mins to get to fern wood then i take 209 the rest of the way. The school and support system in the schools are great. Anymore questions i would be happy to address them.

Also, there isnt any racisim that i have come across from peopole living there. We are a mixed family as well. We get it more so from the park rangers but they have seemed to leave us alone now. There just worried about drugs in the area moving in from the cities.

It really isnt racist and my daughter has friends of men cultures. About the gay thing. Dont listen to that fool. There is gay people anywhere you live. It is alot better then living in the city i can tell you that.

Old 08-14-2006, 04:33 PM

Since when am I a "fool?" Have you been shoved in the hallways of your high school lately for being of a different sexual orientation? Have you had people send you hateful messages referencing the "resurrection of Hitler" lately? Have you actually been involved in a physical altercation trying to defend yourself from a bunch of rednecks who have nothing better to do than to make life miserable for people who don't "conform to the mainstream?" Did you have to go to your senior high school prom ALONE because our area feels as if permitting a same-sex couple to attend would be "detrimental?" Have you been involved in a shouting match so loud on campus that campus officials have had to intervene and offer a mediation session?

Unless you've walked in my shoes, then you have NO RIGHT to call ME a fool! Being gay here is a lot different than being African-American or Jewish or Hispanic. To the "NEPA mainstream", we were somehow given the "choice" of being attracted to the same or opposite sex, and as such are fair game for ridicule. If this is the case, then why can't I ever find myself physically attracted to a member of the opposite sex, no matter how hard I try? I've been with members of both sexes in relationships, and I just can't help but feel as if I'm just lying to myself when I'm with a woman and not putting forth a great enough effort with her to make sure she feels appreciated as much as she deserves to be.

I didn't want this to turn into Dr. Phil's Happy Hour, but you have NO CLUE what it's like to walk in my shoes, so don't you dare insult me! Just last year I was on the edge of the Freedom Bridge in Clarks Summit, feeling as if this whole town wanted me gone, but for some foolish reason I chickened out---The sheer height of the I-476 bridge and the thought that my body could fall and harm someone below made me reconsider. I may be a "fool" for being gay, but you ex-New Yorkers are also "fools" for moving to Monroe County in droves and tearing down trees for new homes when there are plenty of existing ones to go around, doing nothing but compounding flood runoff issues, the loss of open space and wildlife habitats, traffic congestion, etc.

I'm sorry to sound miserable, but I don't appreciate people downplaying the horrific problems with homophobia here in the Scranton region and attempting to belittle my credibility. I KNOW what I've experienced, and it's only through patience and compassion that I still choose to stay in PA to attend college and work to improve the quality of life for those in our community. Maybe if more of you people would open your minds to realizing that "different" doesn't have to mean "mutant", then tensions wouldn't be so fierce around here?

P.S. If there are no racial tensions in the Poconos, then why was Western Wayne High School closed last year over reported altercations and feuds between African-Americans and Caucasians? You may like to think that the region is "pro-diversity", but as for me, I've been stuck on the other end of the stick for far too long, and I'm about ready to bite back.

Old 08-15-2006, 01:39 PM

1 posts, read 5,564 times
Default Fellow Pine Ridge Resident

Hi, We’ve been living in Pine Ridge since May and love it – we’re from lower Manhattan. Both hubby and I commute into NYC. We’ve looked for jobs in East Stroudsburg and Stroudsburg (closest “big” town) and found out the pay is not like NY or NJ. You could find more pay in Bethlehem or Allentown which is about a 45 min drive..definitely less traffic than on I-80. That is your best bet. Check out www.mcall.com
Other developments near Pine Ridge are Saw Creek Estates, Pocono Ranchlands, Tamiment…and Marshalls Creek is closer to I-80.

Old 08-16-2006, 03:39 PM

1,330 posts, read 5,094,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saralee View Post
You've all heard it before ... would like to move from Jersey, currently live (renting) in Somerset County. Cannot afford to purchase a home here.

I am engaged, four children (19, 18, 12, 8) between us. Fiancee drives trucks. I work for a private school in sales.
There are several major trucking distribution centers in Middletown, NY and Newburgh NY. My FIL is a truck driver in Newburgh making darn good $$. (he was clearing 100K 7 years ago doing runs from NY to NJ) You should see if you fiancee can transfer to one of those centers and then live in Milford. Milford is a great place to raise a family. Schools are great too. Haven't talked to FIL in 7 years so I can't be of any help with the comany's names sorry...

Not much going on in Bushkill. Cheaper housing than Milford, but it is out in the middle of Nowhere PA LOL! Have to wonder what there is for you kids out there...at least in Milford you can get out to Middletown NY for some shopping and activities. And your older kids will have a place to get a part time job if they want.

I think the mixed family thing is going to be OK here unless you have an attitude problem or do not carry yourself respectfully - then to be quite frank you might get backlash from the locals.

Homosexuality is still a really taboo thing up in this area though. I would be really hesitant to recommend this area to someone with that lifestyle. Western Wayne County is far different mentality than Milford BTW. I see interracial couples in Milford all the time, and they don't really get a second glance. Now if you are pulled up to an intersection with rap music screaming out of your car while you spin out your tires...yeah you will get a few harsh looks.

Old 08-16-2006, 06:32 PM

1,316 posts, read 5,789,027 times
Thumbs up ScrantonWB

BRAVO to you!!! It's so unfortunate & RIDICULOUS! that you have had to endure so much!
I applaud your comment and your strength in sticking up for yourself! Being from NYC & now in Miami (work in Miami Beach) I guess it's taken for granted that gay people endure so much because EVERYONE is gay! I would tell you to come on down here but I'm sure you are aware that there are many gay friendly places but have chosen to stay put for work or just because you refuse to be pushed around! But if you ever do want to have "public acceptance" come on down to Miami Beach! I work/have worked with so many gay people and it's not even thought twice about! (of course unfortunately there are always some homophobes but there are so many gay people they pretty much have to shut the hell up! Cheers to you!

Old 08-17-2006, 06:14 AM

Well, now that I've come off of my soapbox a bit, I'd like to apologize for coming off as being so brash. I'm just tired of people in our area sweeping the "hidden homophobia" issue under the rug like it doesn't ever occur and isn't worthy of or "fashionable" to be talking about. I see injustices committed around here everyday, which is why our gay/******* population (which is fairly sizable may I add) is all "closeted." Believe it or not, I'm actually a very masculine person---I love going to hockey games, I work at a "man's store", I'm an avid runner and hiker, love playing baseball, and I work out quite a bit. I'm not at all the type that most people picture---limp wrists, purple floofy shirts, a lisp, a tiara, frequent clubber, etc.

NEPA's WORST problem is that the residents fear what they don't understand, and unlike in most other parts of the country with the proper "If it's not bothering me and/or my family in any way then why should I care or cause problems?", our area has the mindset of "This is an abomination to God---THOU MUST SANCTIFY!!!" Granted the younger generation, my peers, are beginning to buck the trend for the better in the way of extending olive branches and learning to be tolerant of others with different religious beliefs, ethnic backgrounds, and sexual orientations, but there are still quite a number of ignorant, uneducated middle-aged and elderly people in our region who think we're all AIDS-carrying pedophiles, and comments from people with those mindsets can be very belittling and enraging at the same time.

I just wish people around here would stop viewing "my kind" as being a threat to their neighborhoods. It might surprise people to learn that I'm actually a political MODERATE, as I don't even support gay marriage (just unions)! If some of these people would shut their mouths for one second and open their eyes, they might actually see that we bleed the same color blood, eat at the same restaurants, and commute to work on the same highways harmoniously everyday. I guess when your metro doesn't have much in the way of crime or any other important issues to be concerned about, the residents turn towards picking on each other.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania