Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2009, 07:34 PM

26 posts, read 79,424 times

Advertisements

Greetings Pennsylvania fans! Congratulations to you folks on one of the best threads I've ever seen in City-Data, with someone asking for information on nice towns near lakes in the Poconos. In reply, many Pennsylvanians sent great information, thoughtful comments and beautiful photographs. I've printed the thread for my files.

Now, to my request...I, too, am looking for Pennsylvania places to live with my husband, no kids...near a lake/stream/river...town/city/village nearby or not too far away. So! How goes it in the hills of CENTRAL Pennsylvania, then, or even Central-East? Is it possible to live a life near water and mountians in Pennsylvania and be a STEELERS fan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 07:52 PM

93 posts, read 325,482 times
How about Raystown Lake in Huntington County. Plus their is a lot of rivers and creeks all over blair, bedford, and huntington county. Huntington is really close to the lake. Plus everyone in this area is basically a steelers fan. BTW Raystown lake is surrounded by mountains... I think you'll love it...

Old 08-04-2009, 09:24 PM

889 posts, read 2,573,417 times
Check out the Lycoming county area. It has a Steelers following, I see lots of people there with Steelers shirts/jackets/license plates, and the local bars do a good business hosting Steelers games parties. You've got the Susquehanna river, with lots of places to live on or nearby the river (Williamsport, Jersey Shore, Lock Haven, special tip, Duboistown, south of Williamsport has homes and lots on the river, upstream of the dam, and above the river's floodplain, a rare combination).

More into fishing and swimming in a clear, cold water 'creek', there's Loyalsock Creek and Lycoming Creek.

There are also some smaller lakes in the northern part of the county. But I'm not as familiar with them as the places I mentioned. I do know there are no Pocono-like developments there.

Old 08-05-2009, 05:38 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Treasure Lake is a "Pocono-like" development, just north of DuBois in Clearfield County. Definitely in "Stillers" country. Treasure Lake Property Owners Association

Raystown Lake, as a Corps of Engineers flood control reservoir, does not have homes ON the lake. There are plenty of places nearby, and Huntingdon was named by one of those magazines recently as one of the "coolest small towns in the USA".

If NEAR but not on the lake is a possibility for what you are looking at, there are some other Corps of Engineers reservoirs in PA, see Corps Lakes Gateway: Pennsylvania Three of these are in Tioga County, which also houses the "Grand Canyon of Pennsylvania" and many other outdoor opportunities.

Old 08-05-2009, 01:04 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,125,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pureblood View Post
How about Raystown Lake in Huntington County. Plus their is a lot of rivers and creeks all over blair, bedford, and huntington county. Huntington is really close to the lake. Plus everyone in this area is basically a steelers fan. BTW Raystown lake is surrounded by mountains... I think you'll love it...
Rayston Lake is just fantastic for both young and old. Rent a boat on the Army Engineered lake or stay in the Rayston Lake motel is a great way to have fun..... We rent the large Pontton boat and go for 2 days on the water....Walleyes are fun to catch as are trout and you can cook anytime you want to chow down....

Old 08-05-2009, 04:30 PM

42 posts, read 114,731 times
I would have to put in a word for Selinsgrove or Lewisburg, which definitely qualify as the "hills" of central PA. Both are college towns, are close to retail, have some developments and some rural spaces, and the influence of the colleges on the towns is a positive one for the child-less/young professional class, I think. Both are on the Susquehanna River, which is prime for boating in the summer months. There are lots of Steelers fans..and lots of Eagles fans. Plenty of opportunity for sports bar rivalries.

Neither town is really my cup of tea, as I'm an urban creature at heart, but I think they fit perfectly with what you're asking for. Best of luck in finding that perfect corner of the keystone!

Old 08-05-2009, 06:51 PM

26 posts, read 79,424 times
Default Thank you all!

Wow, what wonderful responses from all of you, and so quickly, too! Thank you very much for great comments and helpful information. I look forward to planning a Pennsylvania vacation with all you've given me here.

Must say, an exciting sports rivalry sounds good to me! Here in Chicago, when the Bears are boring - and that's often - there's no where else to go...

Thank you again, everyone!

Old 08-06-2009, 03:18 PM

12 posts, read 22,407 times
Welcome to PA!

Old 08-06-2009, 03:29 PM

3,863 posts, read 6,293,738 times
To the OP, you inquired about streams, lakes and rivers - are you and hubby fishermen? We boast some of the best fresh water fishin around. Spruce Creek, Trout Run, Fisherman's Creek, not to mention Lake Erie for salmon and steelhead. I'm sure some of my fellow Pennsylvanians can name many more. Coal mining hasn't destroyed all of our waters, just a few. Welcome, and enjoy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania