Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 05:53 AM

5 posts, read 21,447 times

Advertisements

Hi All,
My dad lives in Reading on Mulberry st.
I am seriously thinking of moving there with my 14 yr. old son.
Current residents, please give me your honest opinion about Reading.
I have never been there and want to know if it is safe to raise a teenage boy in that neighborhood. Do the High schools there have a good education level? My son is no wimp but he is also not a hoodlum. All I want is a safe, happy home and educational opportunities for him.
Thank you,
Marisol
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2009, 07:24 AM

17 posts, read 65,713 times
Hi I currently reside in the Northeastern part of Reading. Near Albright College. I would say that in the past 5 years of living here ( I moved from NY), it has been changing 50/50. I would say that the anything above 11th street starting from 1100 block is I would say a more comfortable area to live in. This is my opinion. I also have young kids and worry about their education. Where on Mulberry Street does he live on?

Old 08-21-2009, 08:22 PM

6,105 posts, read 5,967,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alsondmicorazon View Post
Hi All,
My dad lives in Reading on Mulberry st.
I am seriously thinking of moving there with my 14 yr. old son.
Current residents, please give me your honest opinion about Reading.
I have never been there and want to know if it is safe to raise a teenage boy in that neighborhood. Do the High schools there have a good education level? My son is no wimp but he is also not a hoodlum. All I want is a safe, happy home and educational opportunities for him.
Thank you,
Marisol

Reading has a very large Hispanic community so you will find bodegas and other eateries catering hispanic food but is one of Pennsylvania's poorest cities and has one of the highest rates of unemployment in the state.
Reading has a lot of problems but they aren't as severe as in parts of New York, Philadelphia or Newark NJ. The Reading School District is one of the weakest in Berks county but compared to problem schools in New York it isn't that bad. A lot of people will no doubt vent on how lousy things are in Reading. Berks County is like a dougnut the hole in the middle is Reading and it is surrounded by some very well off suburban communities.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEENYCPA View Post
Hi I currently reside in the Northeastern part of Reading. Near Albright College. I would say that in the past 5 years of living here ( I moved from NY), it has been changing 50/50. I would say that the anything above 11th street starting from 1100 block is I would say a more comfortable area to live in. This is my opinion. I also have young kids and worry about their education. Where on Mulberry Street does he live on?
Hi,
thanks for the quick reply. I´ve seen very contradictory points of views about Reading.
Some people say its terrible and others including reading high students say the opposite.
I just saw some videos on youtube wich are pretty positive , the channel is atrainification.
I wish I could fly over there and check it out for myself , but I´m in Spain.
Thanks
Marisol

Old 08-23-2009, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
Reading has a very large Hispanic community so you will find bodegas and other eateries catering hispanic food but is one of Pennsylvania's poorest cities and has one of the highest rates of unemployment in the state.
Reading has a lot of problems but they aren't as severe as in parts of New York, Philadelphia or Newark NJ. The Reading School District is one of the weakest in Berks county but compared to problem schools in New York it isn't that bad. A lot of people will no doubt vent on how lousy things are in Reading. Berks County is like a dougnut the hole in the middle is Reading and it is surrounded by some very well off suburban communities.
Hi,
thanks for the quick reply. I´ve seen very contradictory points of views about Reading.
Some people say its terrible and others including reading high students say the opposite.
I just saw some videos on youtube wich are pretty positive , the channel is atrainification.
I wish I could fly over there and check it out for myself , but I´m in Spain.
Thanks
Marisol

Old 08-23-2009, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEENYCPA View Post
hi
The previous reply was for mwruckman.
sorry.
heres yours.
Thanks for replying quickly.
My dad lives between elm and walnut on Mulberry st.
by what I see in google earth there doesnt seem to be much above 11th st but green pasture.
the high school is on 13 st, and that is on the border of the green.
what do you mean?
how old are your kids? do they go to high school yet?
do they like reading?
thanks,
Marisol

Old 08-27-2009, 11:38 AM

17 posts, read 65,713 times
Ok I leave right on 13th street, so to be exact if I were you I would buy a house starting from Spring Street going towards the Albright College direction. Anything after Spring Street which in this case includes your father's house I would consider it to be a little rowdy, due to the fact that most of the HS kids live like right across the street from the school so when school lets out at 3 it becomes super congested. Hampden Blvd is really nice. Beautiful houses up on that street and very nice and quiet. I have two kids, one is 6 1/2 and will be starting 1st grade this year and I have a 14 month old. The elementary school is also on 13th and its considered to be pretty good, so I won't have to worry much there.

Hope I helped. If anymore questions, please ask!! :-)

Dee

Old 09-07-2009, 02:20 AM

Thank you very much Dee.
Marisol

Old 09-07-2009, 03:54 AM

125 posts, read 446,636 times
Well the green could be the mountains(hills but we call them mountains)..but they dont start till hampton blvd.

Reading high is not good. not as bad as philly schools but not good. the students who say its good are either the hoodlams who like it how it is or the student government overachievers who Fuhrer Butler gets to put a possitive spin on things..it was hilarious watching principal Butler and his little kissasses try to make the dominican day riot look good..he blamed the cops..blamed the cops! he invites a speaker to come in without reviewing what he would say..gets a bunch of kids together when emotions and ethnic pride runs high and have some one fire them up and release them..that was madness. that school fails hard and often.

Old 09-07-2009, 03:55 AM

125 posts, read 446,636 times
to note I went to rhs for 4 years and graduated in '08.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania