Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 10:21 PM

3 posts, read 11,305 times

Advertisements

your grand mother is wrong. phillip aka ziggy was never institutionalized and didnt die. he is very much in good health and walking around by the park and the court house. he was hit by a driver and was beaten up once to, but he is just as good as back then. give him a chance, he is actually a nice guy. phillip ziegler is no different of a human being than ya.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 10:28 PM

3 posts, read 11,305 times
Default sewing factory

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
I do look at the Daily Item once and a while and have some relatives in the area. I heard about the downturn and drug/gang problems.

I remember Zayre's, it was Grand Way I think before that? The Book Nook was a great place for magazines too went there often, back before the internet killed off most of these places. That 4th street strip mall was the place at one time, McCrory's was there with their lunch counter. And Montgomery Wards was a popular place to shop. I know the last time I was past that shopping center it was not the same. Ziggy use to arrange shopping carts at the Super Saver there late in the evenings.

Sunbury was once a big railroad city, with tracks going all over the place and 3 now defunct railroad companies once serving the city. Once all of that left, the city declined along with it. Most people that lived there worked at Holsum or Weis don't know if that's still the case but they need to not worry about the park restoration and get some jobs there.
sham pat and then was stitches was the sewing factory across from the post office. i also remember a lil store on the corner where one could by records, but then became coney dog. shraders store on corner of reagan and fourth. raubs shoe store on market st, and eating at the aldine.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:19 AM

393 posts, read 1,530,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christabelle1969 View Post
sham pat and then was stitches was the sewing factory across from the post office. i also remember a lil store on the corner where one could by records, but then became coney dog. shraders store on corner of reagan and fourth. raubs shoe store on market st, and eating at the aldine.
I always thought it was called "Champ Hats" but everyone pronounced it 'Sham Pats.'

I just saw Ziggy last Friday night.

The record store was 'Arcus Brothers.' There was also another one called 'Shotgun Boogie.'

I heard a few nights ago that the Hobby Shop on Market Street is going out of business. He moved there a few years ago from Montoursville.

When I was kid in the '60s, we used to buy Estes Rockets at Schrader's store. One of my old bands back in the mid '70s practiced about half a block away and I would always go in buy huge bottles of soda before each practice. I have good memories of Schrader's.

Old 08-02-2010, 07:23 PM

26 posts, read 81,108 times
I lived on 5th street in the mid 70's and spent quite a bit of time at Schrader's. I remember a guy with the last name Pyers who had a band that practiced in his parents basement, his father had the local trash company by that name. And playing at the Goodwill Playground was great, we had some great baseball games there.

Old 08-03-2010, 02:10 PM

393 posts, read 1,530,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativesunburyian View Post
I lived on 5th street in the mid 70's and spent quite a bit of time at Schrader's. I remember a guy with the last name Pyers who had a band that practiced in his parents basement, his father had the local trash company by that name. And playing at the Goodwill Playground was great, we had some great baseball games there.
He played bass for Harpo.

Old 08-19-2010, 07:47 AM

Yes that's it !! Harpo. Oh how the memory fails us as we get older. I live in Ohio now and made a interesting discovery while shopping at my local grocery store..... It's wise not to wear your Penn State shirt amongst a sea of Buckeyes!

Old 08-19-2010, 03:40 PM

130 posts, read 317,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susquehannock View Post

I heard a few nights ago that the Hobby Shop on Market Street is going out of business. He moved there a few years ago from Montoursville.
Oh, that is sad news. If I recall correctly, my dad went there a few years ago to buy a model kit.

It seems like there is great difficulty in keeping a business alive in Sunbury.

Old 09-03-2010, 11:45 AM

1 posts, read 3,849 times
Hello everyone im a current resident of sunbury and have bin all my life yes i definitely agree Sunbury just isnt the place it used to be some goods shops have went out of business and the immigration/crime rate seems to have increased by the way does anyone remember the shop Riverside Gallery on market street? my mom and dad owned that shop and spent most of my time there most of you probably wont remember it because it was a newer shop but it was right beside the coffee shop and the costume shop haha i remember the girl who owned the costume shops husband dressing up as a gorilla and trying to scare us! (and it worked)

Old 09-03-2010, 07:34 PM

1 posts, read 3,842 times
Can you remember walkers drug store at 5th and market or the skat gas station at 7th and market, before Scott towers was built , or maybe the YMCA and montgomey wards beside the court house. How about sunbury sub in the Neff hotel before it was taken down and replaced with a bank. Maybe you can remember the walking railroad over pass on market and another one at packer. I could go on ,maybe it's the age thing.

Old 09-07-2010, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunburyResident View Post
Hello everyone im a current resident of sunbury and have bin all my life yes i definitely agree Sunbury just isnt the place it used to be some goods shops have went out of business and the immigration/crime rate seems to have increased by the way does anyone remember the shop Riverside Gallery on market street? my mom and dad owned that shop and spent most of my time there most of you probably wont remember it because it was a newer shop but it was right beside the coffee shop and the costume shop haha i remember the girl who owned the costume shops husband dressing up as a gorilla and trying to scare us! (and it worked)
I remember Riverside Gallery, I passed it on my way home from school, and on my way to Lebos Bakery for an after school snack. I would take the long way home just to keep my sweet tooth happy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania