U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Thanksgiving Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 06:09 PM

1 posts, read 1,147 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativesunburyian View Post
the young man you recall from that corner was named Tink, he always had a string he played with. I asked a relative about ziggy and they said yes that was him.
Tink's real name is Joel and he is my cousin. I can assure anyone who ever saw him that he is harmless. He is not allowed to be outside alone anymore. Believe it or not, he is now 60 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 01:41 PM

44 posts, read 78,603 times
Ok - Sunbury - Scurgebury, Scumbury, whatever. It is pathetic. Yes, I do know. I was born and raised there and lived there until 1998. I moved "across the river" and love it there. I welcome the hole in the wall - that way when the next flood comes (which it will) I don't have so much to worry about as Sunbury is going to take the brunt of it. I think it is absolutely hilarious that the current Mayor of Sunbury keeps trying everything he can possibly think of to get this "city" up and running, to no avail. I will give me an "A" for effort - but he is wasting time, money and energy. Sunbury is what it is. It will never again be what it was. It is run by slum lords - and it is a major pipeline to drug traffickers from the Philly and NYC area. I lived down in town when I was little and then later on, I lived in the hill section. I hate going to Sunbury and rarely venture over there - unless I am going to Knoebels and then I am forced to make some sort of crossing into the dark zone. Now they put up a Dunkin Donuts on 4th Street so all the welfare recips can not only spend their hard earned cash at the Dollar Store AND the Burger King, but now they can eat that healthy 2-3 donuts in the AM for their morning sugar high. I have no family left there anymore other than former inlaws. I zillowed their house - which is a pretty nice house - and it appraised at around $75K! An ex in law just sold their house for about $2K more than they bought it for and they lived there like 15 years! (My house on the other hand has tripled in value.)
We used to scare my nephew by telling him "The Ziegler" was hiding under his bed and he would screaming down the steps! Oh what fun! I remember the migrant workers coming in every summer and staying and sleeping in buses along the hold Horn Railroad. I remember the Sunbury Sub Shop, Fatools Donuts, Schraders, Walkers, JC Penneys, Woolworths, Newberrys, the Diana Shop, Bowmans, Frans Dress Shop, Keithans, Shotgun Boogie (who's owner was arrested and did time for murder!), Betty Vogels Hat Shop, Keystone Druyg Store, and 2, yep 2 REA AND DERRICK drug stores! I loved living there THEN. Alas, we call it "Dish Central" because if you take a ride up and down 4th street, that is all you see - homes with 5-6 satellite dishes on them.

Old 08-12-2011, 08:51 PM

983 posts, read 1,116,129 times
All of what was Sunbury is mainly gone, I see they fixed up Cameron Park and are dreaming of adding the riverside bandshell or amphitheater. I don't see that as money being well spent, the lack of jobs there should already define priorities. Smelly Celotex is gone and so are those jobs, last I heard Buttercrust or whatever it's called now where a high school graduate would typically work for the rest of there lives and would make above average wages, supposedly is on thin ice.

Sunbury always had a high welfare recipient population in the 80's, often 2nd and 3rd generation all living in the same house. The first of the month was always a time to avoid Acme Super Saver and Weis.

It's already been predicted that rural areas of the country will see declining populations because people will leave for metro areas where the jobs are. Sunbury has lost several large employers, and these jobs are not coming back.

Old 08-15-2011, 07:12 AM

"Sunbury has lost several large employers, and these jobs are not coming back."

Perhaps someone should let David Persing, Mayor of Sunbury, know this tidbit of information. Butterkrust was sold to Sara Lee several years ago and after they took over the middle section and displaced many many homeowners - I have heard they are moving their entire operation to Mexico. The Apple family is probably tearing up as they were a truly wonderful family and - most likely - could have moved their operation to many other places over the course of their years, but they didn't. They remained loyal to Sunbury - must like the Weis family. Say what you will, but I only shop there because of that. They snug their noses at Hershey who WOULD LOVE TO GET ALL THEIR FINGERS IN WEIS MARKETS. Hershey has apparently made very very lucious offers to the Knoebels family as well and they too have said "take a long walk on a short plank". You have to admire those family businesses that stay true to their roots and continue to patronize them. (Giant is a huge conglomerate and since moving to Monroe Marketplace, has gotten way too big for their britches! Raised their prices 3 fold!).

Sunbury was. I think Sunbury would do better if they concentrated on what they are versus what they used to be. I give it less than 1 year before one of the nice benches on Front Street is destroyed or stolen - evne tho they are bolted down. I do have to go thru Sunbury on my way from from Cabelas, etc. via 61, and last time I was there, - about 2 weeks ago - not one single soul was in the newly and very expensive Cameron Park. That money could have been spent elsewhere and more appropriately.

Old 08-15-2011, 09:54 AM

26 posts, read 41,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLKH View Post
Tink's real name is Joel and he is my cousin. I can assure anyone who ever saw him that he is harmless. He is not allowed to be outside alone anymore. Believe it or not, he is now 60 years old.
I did not mean to be disrespectful to your cousin, I apologize if it was taken in that context. I lived near them and would keep a watchful eye out over him as people would sometimes be mean and make fun of him, and I would chase them off.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M AND M MORE THAN WELCOME View Post
"Sunbury has lost several large employers, and these jobs are not coming back."

Perhaps someone should let David Persing, Mayor of Sunbury, know this tidbit of information. Butterkrust was sold to Sara Lee several years ago and after they took over the middle section and displaced many many homeowners - I have heard they are moving their entire operation to Mexico. The Apple family is probably tearing up as they were a truly wonderful family and - most likely - could have moved their operation to many other places over the course of their years, but they didn't. They remained loyal to Sunbury - must like the Weis family. Say what you will, but I only shop there because of that. They snug their noses at Hershey who WOULD LOVE TO GET ALL THEIR FINGERS IN WEIS MARKETS. Hershey has apparently made very very lucious offers to the Knoebels family as well and they too have said "take a long walk on a short plank". You have to admire those family businesses that stay true to their roots and continue to patronize them. (Giant is a huge conglomerate and since moving to Monroe Marketplace, has gotten way too big for their britches! Raised their prices 3 fold!).

Sunbury was. I think Sunbury would do better if they concentrated on what they are versus what they used to be. I give it less than 1 year before one of the nice benches on Front Street is destroyed or stolen - evne tho they are bolted down. I do have to go thru Sunbury on my way from from Cabelas, etc. via 61, and last time I was there, - about 2 weeks ago - not one single soul was in the newly and very expensive Cameron Park. That money could have been spent elsewhere and more appropriately.
Butter-Krust

Old 08-17-2011, 08:33 AM

Default ?

Not sure what your point is. I know the family. Well.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:08 PM

11,198 posts, read 8,120,064 times
I just drove thru there yesterday. I saw them cleaning up the park and was glad they didn't seem to be over mulching the new trees that were planted. The downtown looked pretty clean. To those who who want see a dirty city, go to Reading or Lancaster or Allentown or Philly. People don't know what a trashcan is used for.
I didn't see many bums or lowlifes. Some yokel locals and some older people, yes. be glad for that. You want to see lowlifes, see the above town list. People also seemed to be able to drive cars and park them normally so the NJ/ NYC influence must be at a minimum. And there were some fine old homes I saw along 61. Its not Bellefonte, but the town didn't look that dog eared. Boring, yeah, but not bad. Boring isn't all bad.
I wouldn't be too down on your city. Maybe its had some bad influences move in, but generally people learn from the places people they move to and things get better. It takes a while. It could be worse.
What could give your town a boost is a college or university. I dion't know enough about the area, is there one? Lewisburg has Bucknell and that helps them tremendously.

Old 08-17-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M AND M MORE THAN WELCOME View Post
Not sure what your point is. I know the family. Well.
You got to watch the videos,

Butter-Krust

I prefer Grandpa Stroehmann personally "Whole Veat" lol

Grandpa Stroehmann (1986) - YouTube

Old 08-22-2011, 06:27 PM

130 posts, read 163,490 times
I think people are over blowing their opinions a bit too much. Some people here make it sound like if you step foot into Sunbury, you will be robbed, murdered and then raped.

I only moved from Sunbury but two years ago and up until the day I moved, I would take walks all over town. I wasn't frightened, I kept my senses about me, of course. I didn't walk at night, I didn't talk to strangers, you know, I just followed the rules like any good girl would. It was a good small town, one where you'd grow up and feel safe because you've come to learn every nook and cranny. Where I moved to now, is bigger and scarier. I wouldn't dare step out and walk alone, plus they have no concept how to drive here(this Texas town). It kills me because Sunbury has their tiny small roads and they manage better than this Texas town. I attribute that to all the impatient young people that you have here (Everyone is coming to Texas looking for jobs, so you have a lot of young people running around everywhere. Research online before you make such a drastic, desperate move).

Jobs are bad though, there really isn't much work in Sunbury and like others have said, people are moving to big cities and that means people are leaving Sunbury left behind. I have a family member who works are Butter-Krust (a job which allowed him to provide his family with a comfortable middle-class life.) and he isn't sure if he is still going to have a job come next year. It's both scary and sad. A town which thrived on itself is now slowly dieing.

Well, I want to say more but I don't have time, so I apologize for brevity and any errors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania