Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 06:13 AM

222 posts, read 1,410,812 times

Advertisements

The Sunbury area has a number of things that i've enjoyed. There are a few parks in the area, as well as an island (which is park or shikellamy state park) which has fishing and boating activites. There is the joseph priestly museum in nearby northumberland pa. and nearby Selinsgrove has Susquehanna university and Selins Grove brewing Co. Hummels Wharf and Shamokin Dam have pretty much everything else you could want in terms of restaurants, stores, malls, shops, car repair shops, etc. The square in sunbury is pretty quaint and historic. 750 sounds like a lot for that area, but you could rent something nice for it. good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2010, 01:04 PM

1 posts, read 8,693 times
Default Sunbury Flood Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
The river view is obstructed by a flood wall which was built due to Agnes in 1971.
"The wall was actually proposed after the disastrous flood that occurred in March of 1936. The City and residents suffered over 4 million dollars in damage.

Construction of the flood system began in May of 1946 by the War Department, later changed to the Department of the Army, and was completed in 1951 at a cost of 6.6 million dollars.

Since the 1800's, the Susquehanna River has experienced a significant flood event on the average of once every 20 years. The Sunbury Flood Wall has protected Sunbury from over 15 high water events since it was completed in 1951.

In 1972, flood waters from Hurricane Agnes crested at 35.8 feet at Sunbury, two feet higher than the crest in 1936. The wall held back the water and residents showed their gratitude in messages left on the wall."

---[URL="http://www.cityofsunbury.com"]www.cityofsunbury.com[/URL]

I believe the 1936 flood reached the second stories of buildings in the downtown area. Also the 1972 flood reached the top of the wall. Sandbagging and the failing of levees upstream are said to have saved the city from flooding.

Old 02-06-2010, 04:51 PM

130 posts, read 317,260 times
I had lived in Sunbury all my life and had only recently moved last year and I regret that decision every moment of my life.

It's a nice little town to live in that has suffered from some bad immigration.

The population of Sunbury has decreased since the 90's and this is not surprising as there are not many job opportunities and so many of the youth migrate from Sunbury to other places in search of a better future. The economy and passage of time have also been unkind to this town as many small shops have closed.

That being said this town has tried so hard to bring new jobs and keep what is part of it's history (such as the Squeeze-In, haha). They regularly do things to the town to try and spruce it up, such as the current work on Cameron Park.

As far as crime, I recall (don't quote me on this) when I was younger someone tried to break into our house. We have also had minor issues such as vandalism, but I suspect that was done by someone who disliked my family for whatever reason. Crime generally wasn't all that bad in Sunbury but as years have passed we have had riff-raff from New York come in and there has been an increase in drug activity. I recall hearing something that years back the governor here or something advertised low-income housing in Sunbury on billboards in New York (what a god-awful idea that was), we received some families just wanted to escape the bad parts of New York, but also the garbage as well.

The Shikellamy school district is a joke, it was a joke when I went there (graduated in the late 90's) and it still is a joke. You don't have to go there though and as pointed out, there are many good private schools (though expensive they can be). If you must go with Shikellamy, try their cyber school program.

Having moved to a city with a much higher population, I really miss the small community of Sunbury, one which had many events for it's townspeople. Riverfest, Firemans fair, Sunbury Fireworks, Float Your Fanny in the Susquehanny just to name a few. Just make sure you come in advance, because parking is difficult in this town and usually you will be parking 2 blocks away. They've tried to rectify this in the last few years by building more parking lots.

The one place I always recall as a seedy area, was Market Street in the evening hours. Don't go there are night was how it was, but since the police have moved their building on Market Street and really cracked down, it's improved greatly. I would say one place that the subject of many a police visits is the house on the corner across from Shear Expressions. North 4th St. I believe.

I would take walks all over Sunbury, and many of them were on the inside of the flood wall along the river banks. I would take pictures of the Sand Pipers, ducks, mountains and the water itself. You could view the cycle of the water, some days it was cloudy, others crystal clear. A little retreat where you are hidden behind the floodwalls in this town nestled between protective mountains. Oh the mountains, such a show in autumn with their blanket of trees. Shikellamy State Park is also a nice place to go and I've heard that they are planning to reopen a museum there.

As far as housing, don't bother with apartments, god they are horrible. Instead seek duplexes or triplexes, if you are looking to rent. My fathers rent bill is in the low $300's. I believe my grandmothers rent is 400$ (but this is in Northumberland). Many houses in Sunbury have been put up for sale, a sad sight to see.

Everything in Sunbury is within walking distance. You can walk to the post office, the grocery store, dentist, restaurant, mini marts, drug store, ect. I even walked near the hospital once, so you could easily walk there if need be.

Sunbury is a great place for walking, walk all over the place, get lots of exercise. So many nooks and crannies and buildings with history.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:16 PM

1,271 posts, read 2,593,052 times
I was born in Sunbury, but that was a long time ago. It use to be a nice place in the 40's and 50's. Not too bad in the 60's & 70's but started declining after that. We use to call it Scumbury because of the element there, especially around Memorial Acres. Sunbury also had a lot of people with severe mental illness walking the streets, if anyone remembers Philip Bilbay aka ZIGGY the guy who use to walk around hunched over with his arms behind his back or that crazy lady who use to walk around with makeup smeared all over her face yelling and screaming. Kids use to torment ZIGGY and the Cops started cracking down on it, he was harmless but creepy.

Back in the 80's some other guy flipped out and walked down Market Street shooting a pistol all over the place, a Sunbury cop took him out with a 12 gauge right on the steps of the Edison Hotel, I still remember the picture in The Daily Item of him laying on the sidewalk. Luckily he didn't kill anyone.

I remember the day when Sunbury was the place to go, Strand and Rialto Theater was it, no Mall across the river then. Had a small town/city feel to it with all the stores they even had Minor League Baseball in the 50's for a few years but that was short lived. Those days are over. Last time I was through there I wouldn't call it scary compared to the places I have been since but it's not that great either, no jobs with little or no prosperity.

Old 02-20-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blauskies View Post
I was born in Sunbury, but that was a long time ago. It use to be a nice place in the 40's and 50's. Not too bad in the 60's & 70's but started declining after that. We use to call it Scumbury because of the element there, especially around Memorial Acres. Sunbury also had a lot of people with severe mental illness walking the streets, if anyone remembers Philip Bilbay aka ZIGGY the guy who use to walk around hunched over with his arms behind his back or that crazy lady who use to walk around with makeup smeared all over her face yelling and screaming. Kids use to torment ZIGGY and the Cops started cracking down on it, he was harmless but creepy.

Back in the 80's some other guy flipped out and walked down Market Street shooting a pistol all over the place, a Sunbury cop took him out with a 12 gauge right on the steps of the Edison Hotel, I still remember the picture in The Daily Item of him laying on the sidewalk. Luckily he didn't kill anyone.

I remember the day when Sunbury was the place to go, Strand and Rialto Theater was it, no Mall across the river then. Had a small town/city feel to it with all the stores they even had Minor League Baseball in the 50's for a few years but that was short lived. Those days are over. Last time I was through there I wouldn't call it scary compared to the places I have been since but it's not that great either, no jobs with little or no prosperity.

haha, I remember Ziggy. If I recall correctly, he was hit by a car or train and fortunately survived. I hadn't seen hide nor hair of him for a couple of years before I left. I do recall seeing a man who would play his guitar near the Cameron Park. For some reason, Sunbury has a large amount of drifters with mental problems (most are seemingly harmless). I don't recall the makeup lady or the random shooter though, then again I was just a child in the 80's.

I think Memorial Acres is still a bad place, when I was a little girl, my family used to live there, it wasn't a bad place then, mainly young families getting a start in their lives and senior citizens. Over time, however, things have changed for the worse.

Some of those downtown stores still linger, I don't know how and in most cases new ones come and go, but we all can agree time has not been kind to Sunbury. In some respects Sunbury tries to keep it's small town feel, but most likely it won't ever return to it's glory days.

Old 02-20-2010, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyx_Vance View Post
haha, I remember Ziggy. If I recall correctly, he was hit by a car or train and fortunately survived. I hadn't seen hide nor hair of him for a couple of years before I left. I do recall seeing a man who would play his guitar near the Cameron Park. For some reason, Sunbury has a large amount of drifters with mental problems (most are seemingly harmless). I don't recall the makeup lady or the random shooter though, then again I was just a child in the 80's.

I think Memorial Acres is still a bad place, when I was a little girl, my family used to live there, it wasn't a bad place then, mainly young families getting a start in their lives and senior citizens. Over time, however, things have changed for the worse.

Some of those downtown stores still linger, I don't know how and in most cases new ones come and go, but we all can agree time has not been kind to Sunbury. In some respects Sunbury tries to keep it's small town feel, but most likely it won't ever return to it's glory days.
Yep I think I recall that incident with Ziggy, but I cant' remember the details. I left the area years ago but I think the last time I saw him was in the early 90's when I was visiting the area he was hunched over with his hands behind his back and was walking down market street hair slicked back talking to himself. A lot of kids use to have Ziggy hunts where they will go out in the evening with spot lights driving all over the city looking for him and asking him questions and recording him screaming which was then played by some DJ on WQSU radio. I'm sure he is no longer around or institutionalized?

The shooting happened in 1986, there were bullet holes at one time visible on one of the store fronts downtown, not sure if you can still see them? I just remember when it happened and then the picture in the Daily Item back before they censored anything guy was sprawled out in front of the Edison Hotel with a pool of blood running down the sidewalk after the cop shot him. People were all stirred up.

Sad to see Sunbury decline, it was once a decent small city a long time ago.

Old 02-21-2010, 09:13 AM

393 posts, read 1,530,206 times
Quote:
Yep I think I recall that incident with Ziggy, but I cant' remember the details. I left the area years ago but I think the last time I saw him was in the early 90's when I was visiting the area he was hunched over with his hands behind his back and was walking down market street hair slicked back talking to himself. A lot of kids use to have Ziggy hunts where they will go out in the evening with spot lights driving all over the city looking for him and asking him questions and recording him screaming which was then played by some DJ on WQSU radio. I'm sure he is no longer around or institutionalized?

The shooting happened in 1986, there were bullet holes at one time visible on one of the store fronts downtown, not sure if you can still see them? I just remember when it happened and then the picture in the Daily Item back before they censored anything guy was sprawled out in front of the Edison Hotel with a pool of blood running down the sidewalk after the cop shot him. People were all stirred up.

I haven't seen Ziggy in a long time either. I used to see him almost every time I went through Sunbury, especially on 4th St. They sure had(have) their share of characters, but they were all harmless.

The Daily Item is a rag that protects certain groups of people by not publishing their crimes. I'm familiar with the shooting you're talking about. I guarantee, it would be wall to wall coverage now because the people who were involved were not part of the protected class.(Of course without the graphic photos)

I remember when Sunbury was a great place. It's a shame to see what it has become. It still has a few bright spots but not many.

So, what do the citizens do? They turn around and elect the same Mayor who got them into the position they're in.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:

I think I recall my grandmother saying that Ziggy had passed away. I am not 100% certain on this though and it's entirely possibly that he was institutionalized and she just interpreted that as that he had died. I believe it was around mid to late 90's that he had disappeared.

In all my travels down Market Street, I don't recall seeing bullet holes, then again I wasn't looking for them. Nevertheless, that is a frightening story and somewhat haunting now that I think of all the times I walked past Edison Hotel.

Since you've not been in Sunbury much, you may not be aware of some of the current events there, so I will tell them to you in case you find them of interest. The sewing building across from the post office (Can't recall the name now, but I had placed my resume there at one time) is closed, also the Ames (Zayres at one time, right?) department store went out of business, the Book Nook on the Sunbury Plaza went out of business, the Kauffman Library moved to Market Street and is now called the "Degenstein Community Library" (I miss the cozy Victorian style house the library used to be). There's been an increase in drug trafficking (probably the New York garbage that migrated to Sunbury), recently they have been improving the looks of Cameron Park and that is all I can remember off the top of my head.

Quote:
Originally Posted by susquehannock View Post
The Daily Item is a rag that protects certain groups of people by not publishing their crimes. I'm familiar with the shooting you're talking about. I guarantee, it would be wall to wall coverage now because the people who were involved were not part of the protected class.(Of course without the graphic photos)
Do you have any more information on this?

Sunbury is still a nice place, in my opinion and they are trying hard to improve the town, but it could never be what it once was for a variety of reasons (trains not being a popular method of travel anymore, the Susquehanna Valley Mall, ect). I miss my little hometown of Sunbury.

Old 03-04-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alyx_Vance View Post
I think I recall my grandmother saying that Ziggy had passed away. I am not 100% certain on this though and it's entirely possibly that he was institutionalized and she just interpreted that as that he had died. I believe it was around mid to late 90's that he had disappeared.

In all my travels down Market Street, I don't recall seeing bullet holes, then again I wasn't looking for them. Nevertheless, that is a frightening story and somewhat haunting now that I think of all the times I walked past Edison Hotel.

Since you've not been in Sunbury much, you may not be aware of some of the current events there, so I will tell them to you in case you find them of interest. The sewing building across from the post office (Can't recall the name now, but I had placed my resume there at one time) is closed, also the Ames (Zayres at one time, right?) department store went out of business, the Book Nook on the Sunbury Plaza went out of business, the Kauffman Library moved to Market Street and is now called the "Degenstein Community Library" (I miss the cozy Victorian style house the library used to be). There's been an increase in drug trafficking (probably the New York garbage that migrated to Sunbury), recently they have been improving the looks of Cameron Park and that is all I can remember off the top of my head.

I do look at the Daily Item once and a while and have some relatives in the area. I heard about the downturn and drug/gang problems.

I remember Zayre's, it was Grand Way I think before that? The Book Nook was a great place for magazines too went there often, back before the internet killed off most of these places. That 4th street strip mall was the place at one time, McCrory's was there with their lunch counter. And Montgomery Wards was a popular place to shop. I know the last time I was past that shopping center it was not the same. Ziggy use to arrange shopping carts at the Super Saver there late in the evenings.

Sunbury was once a big railroad city, with tracks going all over the place and 3 now defunct railroad companies once serving the city. Once all of that left, the city declined along with it. Most people that lived there worked at Holsum or Weis don't know if that's still the case but they need to not worry about the park restoration and get some jobs there.

Old 03-04-2010, 11:51 AM

37 posts, read 117,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susquehannock View Post
The town Council should change the the name to 'Sunbarrio.' Yeah.....it's that bad.

It's getting worse by the day.

Don't move there. There are a lot of unreported muggings etc. that the local media won't report on because of P.C.
Well, someone is reporting the crime. Go to the following web page (maintained by the Morning Call) and you can look up crime rates for municipalities across the state:

Crime Rates in Pennsylvania: Search for Crime Statistics

I was surprised by Sunbury's property crime rate. It's not North Philly or even Reading or York but its property crime rate is (or at least was) surprisingly high for a small town in its geographical area and well above neighboring towns such as Shamokin, Lewisburg, or going a little further away, Pottsville.

The reported crime rates and the test performance of the high school surprised me. I used to travel through there regularly about ten years ago and stayed there for a couple of days over a holiday time. At the time, I thought it was a delightful little central PA town. The people were friendly and likable, the town was nicer looking than say Shamokin or most towns in neighboring Schuylkill County, it was right on the Susquehanna, there were lots of places to walk and I walked for miles without getting even the slightest hint of menace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania