Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-07-2009, 07:26 AM

7 posts, read 11,676 times

Advertisements

My husband and I make our living creating (he's an oil painter, i'm a jeweler). We are also a mixed-raced couple (black and white) and are interested in relocating from the NC mountains to Lancaster, PA. Can anyone tell me what the city is like? My husband has visited it and fell in love on sight, but we need more information about the ins and outs. We have no children living at home, so we don't need anything regarding schools. Can anyone help? Would we be bothered for being mixed-raced? Can we make a living there? What about allergies? (i.e. pollen, ragweed, mold, etc.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 10:42 AM

43,011 posts, read 108,004,288 times
Since I'm in Western PA, I can only help you with the allergy question.

Check out this allergy map of the United States.

Allergens by Geographical Region (http://www.clarinex.com/application?namespace=main&event=content_display&e vent_input=allergensbyregion - broken link)

If you click on a region, you can see how long each allergy season lasts for each allergen.

Ragweed lasts from the beginning of June through the end of November in North Carolina, but only from the beginning of September until the beginning of November in PA.

Actually, all allergies seasons are shorter in PA compared to NC. NC has grass allergies all year long, PA only has grass allergies for four months.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:18 PM

93,193 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crys1998 View Post
My husband and I make our living creating (he's an oil painter, i'm a jeweler). We are also a mixed-raced couple (black and white) and are interested in relocating from the NC mountains to Lancaster, PA. Can anyone tell me what the city is like? My husband has visited it and fell in love on sight, but we need more information about the ins and outs. We have no children living at home, so we don't need anything regarding schools. Can anyone help? Would we be bothered for being mixed-raced? Can we make a living there? What about allergies? (i.e. pollen, ragweed, mold, etc.)
I would think Lancaster is fine due to it's diverse population. There is a relatively large Hispanic(mainly Puerto Rican)population and a good sized Black population there as well. That part of PA is a bit more conservative, but I don't think it would matter in that area.

Old 10-08-2009, 02:30 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,618,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I would think Lancaster is fine due to it's diverse population. There is a relatively large Hispanic(mainly Puerto Rican)population and a good sized Black population there as well. That part of PA is a bit more conservative, but I don't think it would matter in that area.
Downtown and Northwest Lancaster (area near F&M) are pretty liberal areas. The rest of the county, including the suburbs, are definetely conservative.

Old 11-20-2009, 04:36 AM

583 posts, read 353,881 times
I haven't been in Lancaster in over 10 years but, the Southeast area (aka the 7th Ward) you want to stay away from. I'd classify that area as a mini Philidelphia. I agree with danwxman the Northwest area is much better.

Good Luck with your move.

Old 11-20-2009, 02:39 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
To the OP, note that responses #3, #4, and #5 focus on the CITY of Lancaster - which is nominally within but culturally surrounded by Lancaster COUNTY - as post #4 notes the suburban areas are dramatically different socially and culturally.

So you will want to be careful with thinking about what you fell in love with on first sight!

If you let us know which aspect of the Lancaster area most appeals to you, we might be able to help point out some other less well-known areas that might share the attributes you're seeking, possibly less expensively too.

Old 11-23-2009, 06:33 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachybum View Post
I haven't been in Lancaster in over 10 years but, the Southeast area (aka the 7th Ward) you want to stay away from. I'd classify that area as a mini Philidelphia. I agree with danwxman the Northwest area is much better.

Good Luck with your move.
one neighborhood in lancaster is like a mini-version of a 135 sq mi, 1.5 million person city? now this I have to see
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania