U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2006, 03:45 PM

2 posts, read 5,311 times
Default Desperately Seeking Assistance - Relocation to Eastern PA

Hi everyone,

The high cost of living in New Jersey is the primary reason that we need to leave the state. (Of course, aggressive and rude neighbors and the subpar school district are other factors.)

My wife, a school teacher in New York, would have to find work at an elementary school in PA -- which I'm told may be a daunting task. (Her commute to NY already is too far.) She may have to leave the field but I'm uncertain whether she can find another suitable position.

To compound problems, my son is on the autism spectrum and I'm not sure if we can secure Applied Behavioral Analysis (ABA) therapy for him from PA or the new district. We may pay therapists / tutors to work with him at home (equiv. of home schooling) as the hourly rate may be reasonable.

We're looking to relocate as close to route 80 (NJ) as possible -- my job and my parents are in nwnj -- but have heard about the problems in Monroe county. I am also worried about snow and the hazardous conditions in the winter.

Is there any place that you can recommend that offers a high quality of life (e.g., low crime), plentiful job opportunities, somehow LESS snow than surrounding areas, friendly neighbors, great school district that is within say, 45 minutes, from NJ (Delaware River Gap area). I know no such place may exist.

In addition, I would love to hear from any parents with autistic children who can shed some insight into the school districts and the programs available for children on the spectrum. I am very cynical that any exemplary programs exist ... and so I am leaning to create my own. Still, I am hoping to be pleasantly surprised.

Thank you so much for any feedback that you can provide!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2006, 06:12 PM

4,185 posts, read 3,756,353 times
While researching PA, I came across a yahoo group that deals with special ed students in northeast Pa, including autism.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pa_comply

Old 07-20-2006, 09:08 PM

2 posts, read 5,311 times
Default Desperately Seeking Assistance - Relocation to Eastern Pennsylvania

Fopt65, thank you so much for the suggestion. I will join this Yahoo group.
I also discovered other yahoo groups, one that deals exclusively with autism for those who reside in ne PA.

Forthaddock, I certainly appreciate your offer. We're not quite ready to move yet (perhaps staying in NJ for at least half-year to year). I certainly wish your family well, too!

Old 04-28-2007, 12:38 AM

3 posts, read 12,730 times
I like what you said about creating your own exemplary program. I think that is what you have to do. There just don't seem to be enough resources and programs in existence. There also don't seem to be enough people that are educated about Autism, let alone ABA Therapy. I hope to be a person to help create change in the future. For now I just do ABA. If you end up needing services, I implement and monitor ABA programs and can train local therapists. (I'm in IL.) I am much more affordable than a consultant as I'm not BCABA yet.

Other than that, just keep on researching. Programs do exist, you just have to dig deep to find them!

Good luck,
Melissa Watson

Old 04-28-2007, 07:43 AM

1,499 posts, read 4,288,234 times
Regarding the teaching issue, I just became aware of something new in PA. In the next two years, teachers with 30 years of experience or more are being encouraged to retire, with some huge incentives to do so. This will open up jobs for younger or new teachers. Your wife may be able to find a job much more easily than you had thought.

I know you want to be closer to the Delaware Water Gap, but I'd highly recommend Bloomsburg, Central Columbia (Bloomsburg area) or Lewisburg, both very close to I-80. They have great schools and are only about one to two hours from the water gap. My mom used to travel frequently between Montoursville, PA to Pompton Lakes, NJ in about three hours and Montoursville is about 20-30 minutes from I-80.

Good luck to you.

Old 04-28-2007, 01:19 PM

1,642 posts, read 3,110,844 times
Dawne, I think the teacher retirement you are talking about is known as The Mellow Bill, or "30 and out". It was passed in 1992. Teachers with 30 years of service or over the age of 55 could take full retirement without penalties.

It may have been update in the last two years though.

PA Bound, Teaching jobs in PA can be a daunting proposition. However, substitutes are hard to find. I'm sure she will find work if she's willing to go on a sub list. Your wife may be interested in a long-term position. It's a way into the system but usually doesn't provide benefits.

She could get lucky and be in the right place at the right time. Ya just never know.

Old 04-28-2007, 03:49 PM

10,031 posts, read 15,378,233 times
Did you all notice that this post was originally started in July of 2006? The OP hasn't been back to this thread since then.

Old 04-28-2007, 05:21 PM

164 posts, read 1,287 times
Eastern PA is just an extension of New Jersey

Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday
Did you all notice that this post was originally started in July of 2006? The OP hasn't been back to this thread since then.
Haha that figures. He moved to PA and we never hear from him again. I wish I could have warned him about this place...

Old 05-03-2007, 08:45 AM

5 posts, read 14,105 times
Default pa schools

Hi
As a realtor in NEPA, I often recommend the website www.parofiles.org (broken link) to prospective clients so they can look into the area schools for themselves. Some are looking for specific sports programs, academic programs or the special ed. program. Hope this helps. If you are looking for a Moderator cut: soliciting business

Old 05-03-2007, 02:06 PM

70 posts, read 199,761 times
mechtm84, just curious what exactly do you hate about pa? and do you live there? if so why dont you move to another place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania