Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2009, 08:50 PM

4 posts, read 21,438 times

Advertisements

Hi!
My husband currently commutes from Chester County, PA to Hershey via the Turnpike and its getting to be too much for him. We are seriously considering a move. Some areas we like include Hummelstown, Mechanicsburg and Lititz (areas with good school districts).

I have been doing some research on Lititz and it sounds great - planning a visit out there later this week to get a feel for the area. However, I have been reading many threads here that imply that people in the Lititz area are not welcoming to newcomers?

Does this hold true to some of the newer neighborhoods in the area? I was hoping there would be some transplants like ourselves (we have 2 small kids) - we both grew up in PA, though - just not Central PA.

Curious to hear some thoughts.....

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2009, 11:38 AM

1,742 posts, read 4,326,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LACOX10 View Post
Hi!
My husband currently commutes from Chester County, PA to Hershey via the Turnpike and its getting to be too much for him. We are seriously considering a move. Some areas we like include Hummelstown, Mechanicsburg and Lititz (areas with good school districts).

I have been doing some research on Lititz and it sounds great - planning a visit out there later this week to get a feel for the area. However, I have been reading many threads here that imply that people in the Lititz area are not welcoming to newcomers?

Does this hold true to some of the newer neighborhoods in the area? I was hoping there would be some transplants like ourselves (we have 2 small kids) - we both grew up in PA, though - just not Central PA.

Curious to hear some thoughts.....

Thank you!
I can only tell you about my experiences in my development, which is about eight years old and has a mix of residents who grew up in the surrounding towns and those who moved here for jobs, etc. In a nutshell, I have never met or encountered a more ignorant, mean-spirited group of "people" in my life.

Don't let the nice shops and pretty park fool you; there are alot of narrow-minded bigots living here.

I also recent heard that the high school has been become a haven for drug users, and that the drug-sniffing dogs are there weekly. Most of the kids have no motivation and are outrageously spoiled. They expect and get new cars when they turn 16 and think mommy and daddy will take care of them forever.

You may decide to visit here in a Prius, but you will definitely want to leave in a Ferrari!

Old 11-23-2009, 01:21 PM

22 posts, read 55,265 times
Yikes! Do you recommend any areas for transplants. I am looking at a Spring work move.

Old 11-23-2009, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drswife View Post
Yikes! Do you recommend any areas for transplants. I am looking at a Spring work move.
In Lancaster County I have heard good things about Manheim, East Petersburg, Manheim Township and Mountville. Again, since I've never lived in those towns I really don't know how they treat each other.

Old 11-23-2009, 07:30 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,741,433 times
drugs are in every HS, just saying

Old 11-23-2009, 07:52 PM

2,050 posts, read 5,917,246 times
Living in Lititz puts you in the Warwick School district, which unfortunately has had some bad press during the last couple of years, incidents with teacher/student relationships, drugs and some racial issues. That being said, it's still an excellent facility with state of the art equipment and technology for it's students and staff. Other good communities, with good schools are Manheim Township and Hempfield.

Mechanicsburg puts you on the west side of Harrisburg, and the commute to/from Hershey via 81/83 or 322 might not be any better than what he is doing now. I would probably stay in the Lancaster or Lebanon area to avoid the 76/81/83/322 area of roads intersecting and volumes of traffic.

Old 11-23-2009, 08:39 PM

1,793 posts, read 3,332,327 times
Uh oh... it was listed as one of the most affordable places to retire and sounded so charming. What say you, Litizman...don't you live there now?

Retirement and Real Estate in Lititz, Pennsylvania - Homes for Sale - Best Place to Retire in Lititz, Pennsylvania

Old 11-23-2009, 10:22 PM

Sorry, Teach, but a facility can't be excellent with a rampant drug issue. The teacher/student issue was unrelated to my opinion of the high school. I don't know how a young person can concentrate on learning when there is constant disruption due to barking dogs in the hallway and kids being lead out of the building wearing handcuffs. There is way too much emphasize here on sports and different methods to keep the children entertained and happy. Academics are secondary.

I have lived here for over six years and, due to the soft housing market, will be here for awhile. I just wouldn't wish this place on anyone.

Old 11-23-2009, 10:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
drugs are in every HS, just saying
I agree with you, Pman. There were some pot smokers back when I was in high school during the dinosaur era.

Old 11-24-2009, 06:30 AM

1,793 posts, read 3,332,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lititzman2003 View Post

I have lived here for over six years and, due to the soft housing market, will be here for awhile. I just wouldn't wish this place on anyone.

That bad?? If you read the llink I supplied, it calls the town "hospitable" but the writers obviously don't live there. I guess it's safe to say it's no Brigadoon then
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania