U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 11-30-2009, 12:02 PM

6 posts, read 6,149 times

Advertisements

Greetings!

I am moving from Colorado with my husband. My parents are from PA, and I need to move to be closer to them. We have heard that it is difficult to find good paying jobs in PA, so we are nervous. We are respectful, responsible, and fun to be around and appreciate people who are the same.

When are you moving?
somewhere within 5 hour drive of Johnstown, PA
Where are you coming from?
Aspen, Colorado
Why are you moving?
Need to be closer to family
Where will you be working?
No clue, that is a big factor. I am an eLearning designer, college professor, and secondary English teacher. My husband is in sales, so I believe we will have the most trouble finding him a job. We need decent salaries to support our activities, travel, and my parents.
Have you been here yet?
Yes.

Will you buy or rent?
Rent then buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
House, I can afford about $200-250K, maybe more depending
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
doesn't matter
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?
doesn't matter

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Married, no children, but planning on it! Would like something with a lot of family outdoor activities as that is what we love to do. Hockey, skiing, backcountry skiing, hunting, fishing, etc
Do you prefer public or private schools?
Private
Do you have pets?
No
Do you want or need a yard?
yes
Are you keeping a car?
yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
quiet and calm

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
No preference

Phillies, Pirates or Mets?
I like Pittsburgh teams.
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2009, 02:56 PM

189 posts, read 421,009 times
You may be interested in State College, PA. Thanks to Penn State their are many jobs(lowest unemployment in the state), and it is a nice place to raise a family. Outdoor activities are huge, and you could easily buy a nice house for under $250K.
PSU jobs: Penn State - Careers: Job Opportunities
State College, PA - Penn State University
Downtown State College Pennsylvania
Penn State & State College Hotels, Tours & Visitor Information
State College - HappyValley.com - Penn State and Happy Valley are Online at HappyValley.com
nice articles: http://www.happyvalley.com/posts.php?id=1966 (broken link), Escapes: State College isn't just for football fans - washingtonpost.com

Old 11-30-2009, 02:58 PM

Thanks so much, I will definitely look into it. Perhaps I could look into a job at the university.

Does anyone know anything about the scranton/willes-barre area? Another thought, too...If not PA, then where? Ohio, MD?

Old 11-30-2009, 03:26 PM

1,185 posts, read 2,162,455 times
FWIW, my suggestion would be to also check out a few places like:

Hagerstown, MD (I-70 goes right by there and heads up through Breezewood before connecting with the PA TPKE) Hagerstown Community College is there as is the University of Maryland Hagerstown

Frostburg, MD with Frostburg State University.

A job resource for the area is JobFetch.

Pittsburgh, PA as you mentioned may be another option with the various universities there.

Carlisle, PA There is Dickinson College as an option for you. In terms of sales, it would depend on your husband's field, but there may be some options there.

Indiana, PA Indiana University Pennsylvania is here and your husband may have regional options for sales positions, though i can't say for certain.

I hope this helps somewhat!

Old 11-30-2009, 03:42 PM

Thanks again. Maryland doesn't sound like a bad option, either. I'll have to look into some of those places. I think I am pretty lucky in that I have a lot of options for jobs because I can do a lot of different kinds of things.

However, sales is sales...and as much as we would like it to be...those kinds of jobs just aren't available in rural areas.

Old 11-30-2009, 04:16 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,613,839 times
I would second the notion that Pittsburgh, State College, and Harrisburg (including Carlisle) areas are likely your initial best bets within your radius. Morgantown/Clarksburg WV seems to have pretty good development/jobs compared to other smaller communities. Maybe rimshot Philly and DC areas, but may be more costly than what you want. Buffalo and Rochester, NY, and possibly Wilkes-Barre/Scranton are probably longer shots for finding work. I'm less familiar with OH except that it's further from backcountry activities than any of the above (including DC).

Old 11-30-2009, 06:21 PM

323 posts, read 520,387 times
Morgantown, WV sounds like the best bet. Lots of jobs, outdoors, etc. Also, Frostburg and Cumberland, MD. Harrisburg will also offer a stronger economy and job prospect.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:21 PM

3,191 posts, read 3,988,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by excelyse View Post
Greetings!

I am moving from Colorado with my husband. My parents are from PA, and I need to move to be closer to them. We have heard that it is difficult to find good paying jobs in PA, so we are nervous. We are respectful, responsible, and fun to be around and appreciate people who are the same.

When are you moving?
somewhere within 5 hour drive of Johnstown, PA
Where are you coming from?
Aspen, Colorado
Why are you moving?
Need to be closer to family
Where will you be working?
No clue, that is a big factor. I am an eLearning designer, college professor, and secondary English teacher. My husband is in sales, so I believe we will have the most trouble finding him a job. We need decent salaries to support our activities, travel, and my parents.
Have you been here yet?
Yes.

Will you buy or rent?
Rent then buy
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend?
House, I can afford about $200-250K, maybe more depending
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft? How much can you spend?
doesn't matter
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?
doesn't matter

Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Married, no children, but planning on it! Would like something with a lot of family outdoor activities as that is what we love to do. Hockey, skiing, backcountry skiing, hunting, fishing, etc
Do you prefer public or private schools?
Private
Do you have pets?
No
Do you want or need a yard?
yes
Are you keeping a car?
yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
quiet and calm

What do you want to be closest to?
Work
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)
Nightlife

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
No preference

Phillies, Pirates or Mets?
I like Pittsburgh teams.
[LEFT]
[/LEFT]
I will PM you. We live in Pittsburgh, and we enjoy a lot of the same things you do. My wife works for one of the major universities, and I am sales too.

Old 12-01-2009, 12:30 PM

8,905 posts, read 7,867,133 times
1)pittsburgh
2) Philadelphia area

Old 12-22-2009, 02:32 PM

1 posts, read 908 times
Pittsburgh is less than 2 hours from J-town and it has a high concentration of private and state colleges and universities (Carnegie Mellon, Pitt, Duquesne, Point Park, Washington & Jefferson, Robert Morris etc). I grew up in Pittsburgh and now live in Harrisburg, and Pittsburgh has much more to do (especially for children if you're thinking ahead... there's the children's museum, the carnegie science center which is awesome, the zoo, kennywood). Plus, Pittsburgh's housing is extremely affordable (for 200k you'll get an amazing house in Pittsburgh but an average house in Harrisburg). Other areas around J-town that have colleges are Indiana (remote, small area) and State College (still remote, but a bit more built up). Juniata College is a few hours from J-town too but is in the middle of nowhere. If you're looking for small city living, around Harrisburg there are a number of colleges but not as many as Pittsburgh. Harrisburg is around 3 hours from J-town and there are a lot of areas right outside of the city that are less urban... some even completely rural (like Etters or anywhere in Perry County!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania