Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 07:43 AM

263 posts, read 1,097,506 times

Advertisements

Unless you live in Philly or Pittsburg - most of PA is pretty conservative and in some places, racist. Almost like being in the deep south, up North.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 08:04 AM
MB2

3,496 posts, read 9,433,883 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talk2u View Post
Unless you live in Philly or Pittsburg - most of PA is pretty conservative and in some places, racist. Almost like being in the deep south, up North.
I am german/ foreigner, and traveled PA extensively, and I NEVER, EVER experienced that...
I have my opinions, stand my ground, and I am defiantely far from being conservative,a nd I STILL never had a problem.
I just think, when people are looking into a confrontation, one or another, they will get it, no matter where they go.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:20 AM

38 posts, read 188,483 times
If you're looking for a nice stable community - then the fast growing south may not be for you. A lot of the south is dealing with unplanned and uncontrolled growth, increased traffic, and heavy construction. I live outside of Charleston, SC and I don't care for it. The southern charm is all but gone due to such heavy influxes of people and rapid development. Call me crazy, but I like a town with an identity. There are perks to living here - abundant jobs, etc. However, I'm looking to get to PA to see rolling hills, have 4 seasons, and a stable low crime environment. And a better cost of living. Housing in parts of the south is quite expensive and crime can be high. There are at least 10 registered sex offenders within a 1-2 mile radius of my house and I live in very nice, exclusive, established neighborhood. Many people love the south, however, it all depends on personal preferences.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:24 AM

164 posts, read 200,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by talk2u View Post
Exactly what I was thinking. You make about the same amount of money as down south too. PA is like the deep south of the Northeast. I don't even think PA should be part of the northeast. PA should be condidered the south.

Old 05-22-2007, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofsc View Post
. However, I'm looking to get to PA to see rolling hills, have 4 seasons, and a stable low crime environment. And a better cost of living. Housing in parts of the south is quite expensive and crime can be high. There are at least 10 registered sex offenders within a 1-2 mile radius of my house and I live in very nice, exclusive, established neighborhood. Many people love the south, however, it all depends on personal preferences.
You can't move to PA just because of the rolling hills. That's ignorant. And the cost of living up north is higher, especially in PA. The taxes alone would kill you. I used to live in Myrtle BEach. I hated the south, but compared to here, I liked it.

Old 05-22-2007, 10:02 AM

Wow - actually the housing costs are comparable or lower than here in Charleston. The costs of goods is also comparable. SC taxes are no picnic and when you factor in the cost of private schools here (a necessity IMO) then the cost of living is higher. And wages are low due in part to lack of unions. Besides, whatever reason a person has for moving is preference so I wouldn't belittle it. Do you have any manners? How many people leave PA to come south for the warmer weather - I don't call them ignorant - it's their choice and I respect it.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outofsc View Post
Do you have any manners? How many people leave PA to come south for the warmer weather - I don't call them ignorant - it's their choice and I respect it.
I know plenty of people who moved here just for the rolling hills. It was the worst mistake they made in their whole life. Rolling hills ain't gonna pay the bills. Rolling hills ain't gonna employ you and pay a living wage. Rolling hills ain't gonna pay your taxes. So excuse me If I choose not to judge a book by its cover

At least you've been doing some of your homework, and I respect that. I suggest that you get another source for your research though.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:10 AM

How do you know my sources? Or, for that matter, the numerous other reasons to move to PA? What about family, career options not available in SC, health care, etc.? Rolling hills is one reason - not the only reason. No place is perfect - I believe that. But each family has their own needs and desires and there is no "one size fits all" place.

Old 05-22-2007, 11:30 AM

903 posts, read 3,505,869 times
I personally would not recommend NC. We have lived here 14-1/2 years and plan to move back north this summer. We have always lived outside of Greensboro; I would never live inside the city. I've heard of too many problems with the school system.

I agree with the other posters about the tremendous growth statewide. Most areas (governmental economics) are not keeping up with the influx, creating a lot of problems in the schools along with all other services.

I have a handicapped son too. While people can be very "nice", IMO "nice" is not what is going to prepare him for adulthood. Too often I have seen handicapped children just passed through the system, only to languish with nothing to do with their certificate of completion (oh, you expected a diploma???).

Be VERY careful considering NC!

Old 05-22-2007, 12:17 PM

991 posts, read 4,618,488 times
Oh my gosh Mary thanks for the information!PA gave me no problem when I inquired about special services for my daughter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania