Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2007, 03:01 PM

991 posts, read 4,617,562 times

Advertisements

Hi, has anyone moved south and not liked it? I am looking to relocate myself and husband and children within the next year, we have been to most of PA on vacations and really do love it, but we also visited NC and Sc and liked it but not loved it like we felt in PA, I want a much more simplier life than on LI, heard that the schools in PA were great in a lot of areas, and the schools in Sc and Nc leave a lot to be desired. Please be honest as I have 5 children one of whom is handicapped. Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2007, 03:26 PM

26 posts, read 130,225 times
Hello,
Any time I have been to the Southeast US, I have found that the people are very polite, good mannered and kind. It is easy to make friends with people down South if you have a good sense of humor and you are polite. The good manners and politeness is cultural, so they do expect the politeness and good manners to be reciprocated. They are usually suprised when someone is rude. This is based on my experience and observations.

Last edited by movetopa; 05-17-2007 at 03:59 PM..

Old 05-17-2007, 03:34 PM

21 posts, read 87,689 times
Default Live in TN

I currently live in Cookeville, TN and love it. We have quite a few transplants from New York, Michigan, Indiana and Ohio areas in the Cookeville and Crossville area. I work in healthcare and have had the opportunity to talk to quite a few of these transplants. They all tell me that that they absolutely love the area. They say that the people are so nice, housing is cheap and taxes are very low. There is not a lot of "those damn yankee's" attitude here in middle TN. I think that you would enjoy it here. If you have any questions do not hesitate to ask or e-mail me. I will be moving to the Scranton/Wilkes-barre area of PA in July to attend school.

Old 05-17-2007, 06:18 PM

26 posts, read 130,225 times
Momix5-
I live in the Hershey, PA area and it is a great place to raise a family. You mentioned that one of your children was handicapped- the Hershey hospital system is very good and the physicians we have dealt with have bee great.
The schools here are very good as well. Hershey downtown is fairly expensive but surrounding areas such as South Hanover Township and Derry Township have good costs of living. The areas west of the City of Harrisburg (known as the West Shore) is also a great place with great schools, and low cost housing. The lifestyle is overall good here.

Old 05-17-2007, 08:53 PM

164 posts, read 200,098 times
Yeah...I lived in SC for a few years and it sucked. But then I moved here, it was 10 times worse and now I miss SC to death. Go figure eh?

Old 05-17-2007, 09:35 PM

157 posts, read 828,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mechtm84 View Post
Yeah...I lived in SC for a few years and it sucked. But then I moved here, it was 10 times worse and now I miss SC to death. Go figure eh?
What do you hate?

Old 05-17-2007, 09:52 PM

332 posts, read 1,625,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momix5 View Post
Hi, has anyone moved south and not liked it?
Yup.

Too hot.

Too conservative.

In my area, mediocre schools for the kids and no jobs in my wife's field of work.

And at least where I was, too far from any significant urban/cultural activities.

I might have been happier if I was in or closer to a larger city, instead of in a town of 15,000 a hundred miles from anything bigger, but I doubt it given my first two complaints.

Glad to be back up north now!!!!!

And in case you're wondering why I went there to begin with, I was sent for work. . .

Old 05-17-2007, 10:46 PM

1,005 posts, read 1,889,552 times
Greetings -

I am originally from Wilkes-Barre, PA & since then, have lived all over the country & other countries, including 7-yrs in Atlanta & Asheville, NC. You'd need to be more specific about which cities you didn't find welcoming in NC/SC, as they're huge states, but I didn't find Atlanta to be filled with welcoming people & always felt like an outsider. Perhaps it depends on which neighborhood/town you live in, so I could be more helpful if you let us know where exactly you're intending to move. I found NC to be much more welcoming, but I lived in Asheville, a small town near the TN border. However, I traveled all over the state & didn't care for either Charlotte or Hickory. I know many will disagree, but the areas I saw in each were not for me. Of course, all opinions are completely subjective.

I'm a bit puzzled, as you said you loved PA, so why not move there? The best education I had was in PA. I have 3 nieces in NEPA & they have had wonderful high school educations in Luzerne County. So why move further south?

I'd be happy to answer any questions, as would many others here, but please give us more specific towns/details so we can recount personal experiences.

Have a great weekend... VV

Old 05-18-2007, 04:41 AM

164 posts, read 200,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morefromcali View Post
What do you hate?
About what? The south or PA. I hated SC but I still liked it better

Old 05-18-2007, 05:27 AM

991 posts, read 4,617,562 times
thank you for all the responses. One of the reasons we were looking into NC and Sc was that I thought it was cheaper to live there than PA, but I am finding houses in our price range, in Pa. We like the Hershey area but we also like NEPA. We are visiting York for the second time this summer and the Pittsburgh area, MY husband is a Cat Scan Tech so anywhere near a hospital with good schools is fine. I just want to make sure this is the right decision for my family.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania