U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 08:20 AM

407 posts, read 1,001,561 times

Advertisements

Help!!! We're in a quagmire. We're less than a year from moving out of Florida (at least that's our plan), and we're having difficulty in choosing a place to move to. We're married and have two young children, 5 & 7. I'll be retiring from my job (police) next November, but I will need to find full time employment for a decent salary and benefits for my family. Two states we concentrated on so far have been New Hampshire and Virginia. NH is my choice, but my wife is concerned with its winters and being VERY far from her family. VA is our second choice because the winters are more tolerable, but the tax situation there concerns me. One of my co workers purchased land in PA, but I'm not sure where. What it boils down to is this: We would like to live in an area that is family oriented, not full of congestion, not taxed to the hilt, SAFE, close to life's conveniences (shopping, banking, hospitals, etc) and having great schools. I would like to find a pre existing home with some land (1/2 - 3 acres), but not in the middle of nowhere. I don't want to have my children feel they are living far away from their new friends and have to drive miles to get them to their after school activities as they get older. The weather doesn't seem to be an issue, at least that's what I'm led to believe (more snow than VA, but less in NH???). Any help you all can provide would be tremendously appreciated. Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2009, 08:49 AM

22 posts, read 61,179 times
I lived in northern Virginia, and it was a traffic nightmare and expensive. I'm not familiar with New Hampshire or other places in Virginia.

Pennsylvania is a huge state, and many parts do get pounded with snow, particularly in the mountain regions. Pittsburgh gets an average amount of snow but not dumped on like Johnstown. There are great schools and communities, minus the congestion, once you get out of the city of Pittsburgh. Maybe Oakdale or Mars, PA would be worth looking into. And when you want to go into the city, Pittsburgh has a lot to offer for adults and kids - sports, museums, theater, etc.

Old 12-10-2009, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantine View Post
I lived in northern Virginia, and it was a traffic nightmare and expensive. I'm not familiar with New Hampshire or other places in Virginia.

Pennsylvania is a huge state, and many parts do get pounded with snow, particularly in the mountain regions. Pittsburgh gets an average amount of snow but not dumped on like Johnstown. There are great schools and communities, minus the congestion, once you get out of the city of Pittsburgh. Maybe Oakdale or Mars, PA would be worth looking into. And when you want to go into the city, Pittsburgh has a lot to offer for adults and kids - sports, museums, theater, etc.
As far as Virginia is concerned, we are looking towards the Roanoke area. Seems like a good place, but again, I'm concerned with the tax situation. We've visited places near NoVa, finding out it's very congested and to concentrate our efforts towards the western part of the state (ie, Roanoke). That being said, do you recall from your time living in Virginia that it's a state with an overwhelming tax burden? Thanks.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:06 AM

22 posts, read 61,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by touretteboy65 View Post
As far as Virginia is concerned, we are looking towards the Roanoke area. Seems like a good place, but again, I'm concerned with the tax situation. We've visited places near NoVa, finding out it's very congested and to concentrate our efforts towards the western part of the state (ie, Roanoke). That being said, do you recall from your time living in Virginia that it's a state with an overwhelming tax burden? Thanks.
No, I'm sorry - it was so long ago that I can't remember; plus I was a very young renter just starting out and didn't pay attention to those things at that stage in my life. This was back in 84/85.

I know a lot more about Pennsylvania, having been born and raised here. I did live in Florida for 8 years, though. I missed the mountains, change of seasons, and snow so I moved back.

Sorry, I couldn't help out more with the other states.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceantine View Post
No, I'm sorry - it was so long ago that I can't remember; plus I was a very young renter just starting out and didn't pay attention to those things at that stage in my life. This was back in 84/85.

I know a lot more about Pennsylvania, having been born and raised here. I did live in Florida for 8 years, though. I missed the mountains, change of seasons, and snow so I moved back.

Sorry, I couldn't help out more with the other states.
No apologies needed; I appreciate your input. It's been 37 years since I've lived in the North (New Jersey) and I miss it completely!!! Can't wait to get out of Florida. Thanks again.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Since you are retiring, one major advantage Pennsylvania has over Virginia is that Pennsylvania does not tax retirement income. And Pennsylvania doesn't have personal property tax, but Virginia does.

Eastern Pennsylvania is becoming rather expensive because people are jumping the borders to avoid the high cost of living in the New York City and Washington DC metro areas. Essentially, Eastern Pennsylvania is becoming Connecticut----a suburb for larger cities in other states.

Pittsburgh is where you should put your focus.

The immediate metro area doesn't get much snow. It's sort of a bubble ---there's tons of snow to the north and the east in the mountains but not right in the Pittsburgh area.

The cost of living is amazingly affordable and the economy is the most stable in the country. As a matter of fact, Pittsburgh is the ONLY region in the entire country that is forecasted to have an increase in real estate values---everywhere else is expected a continued decline. Even so, Pittsburgh housing is very affordable. What you're looking for can be found for under 200k. Property taxes can be a tad high in Allegheny County, but you'll be fine if you budget that into your house price range. Surrounding counties have lower property taxes and are still within a reasonable commute (30 minutes) to Downtown living near a highway corridor.

Because of the hilly topography, Pittsburgh has rural areas within the same county as the city. You literally could live within a 10 to 30 minute commute of Downtown and still have a very rural feel. You won't need to move to a surrounding county where your children's friends could be miles apart.

People are surprised to learn that our economy is stable---not booming, but stable---it didn't decline during this recession. Property values retained value, foreclosure rates are almost nonexistent compared to the rest of the country, and our regional sales (overall sales of goods and services) never slumped.

Not being a boom town is what made Pittsburgh so stable. I'm almost hesitant to recommend it because I fear too many people will come here! LOL

Seriously check out Pittsburgh. Post a thread in the Pittsburgh forum, read the links and links, and definitely google Pittsburgh's economy in the news.
Thanks!!! If there's one thing I will take away from living in Florida is witnessing the "boom towns" that have crashed and burned. This state has been raped and pillaged by developers and politicians. Subdivision after subdivision abandoned or neglected, and full of renters that could care less what their neighborhood looks like. It's a real shame. I'm sure you've read accounts of just how bad things have become here in Florida. I'm very concerned about the well being of my family and I've made the decision to cut my career here short to move us out of here. At least I'll be leaving with a pension, so the job that I will find in another part of the nation will not be our sole source of income. VA is beautiful, but I'm not thrilled that they tax my $$$ before I get it. I'll start my research with your suggestions. Thanks again.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:45 AM

10,067 posts, read 14,911,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopes View Post
Eastern Pennsylvania is becoming rather expensive because people are jumping the borders to avoid the high cost of living in the New York City and Washington DC metro areas. Essentially, Eastern Pennsylvania is becoming Connecticut----a suburb for larger cities in other states.
wow, talk about overgeneralizations. that might be true of scranton, but not for all of eastern pennsylvania. and the bust has bput the breaks on proeprty price hikes in eastern pa. I think you're manipulating facts. Sure, lancaster county has new yorkers relocating there but it also has Philadelphians relocating there. the Philadelphia area is still Philadelphia, not some bedroom community for another state. I would say NJ's high taxes are causing people to jump the border. I wouldn't rule it out based on your oversimplified criteria, not that the OP shouldn't look at Pitt.
Pittsburgh is where you should put your focus. my retired parents are living in lancaster county, though they are considering harrisburg since it's more active. I actually think Pittsburgh would fit them quite well if it were closer. Of course, they are city people and high apartment prices in Philly are keeping them out...since they rent another property elsewhere. that said, there are plenty of nice suburbs in the Philly area that would fit the OP's needs. he's gonna work FT, not be retired FT.

Old 12-10-2009, 09:56 AM

43,012 posts, read 98,284,653 times
Since you are retiring, one major advantage Pennsylvania has over Virginia is that Pennsylvania does not tax retirement income. And Pennsylvania doesn't have personal property tax, but Virginia does. (That means you'll pay tax every year for your car and other luxury personal property in Virginia.) Pennsylvania's income tax is a flat 3% whereas Virginia's is 5.75% for those making over 17k. Pennsylvania's sales tax is 6% and Virginia's is 5%. However, Pennsylvania doesn't sales tax necessities like food, clothing, medication, etc. Virginia taxes clothing (5%) (except for a few days near the holiday), and taxes food at a reduced tax rate (4%) with only prescription medication being tax free in Virginia..

Pittsburgh is where you should put your focus.

Pittsburgh's immediate metro area doesn't get much snow. It's sort of a bubble ---there's tons of snow to the north and the east in the mountains but not right in the Pittsburgh area.

The cost of living is amazingly affordable and the economy is the most stable in the country. As a matter of fact, Pittsburgh is the ONLY region in the entire country that is forecasted to have an increase in real estate values---everywhere else is expected a continued decline. Even so, Pittsburgh housing is very affordable. What you're looking for can be found for under 200k.

Property taxes can be a tad high in Allegheny County (at approximately 3k for a 200k house), but you'll be fine if you budget that into your house price range and taxes are paid through your monthly mortgage payment. (But Roanoke has the highest effective real estate taxes (http://www.encyclopedia.com/doc/1G1-165990581.html - broken link)in Virginia.) Counties surrounding Pittsburgh have lower property taxes and are still within a reasonable commute (30 minutes) to Downtown living near a highway corridor.

Because of the hilly topography, Pittsburgh has rural areas within the same county as the city. You literally could live within a 10 to 30 minute commute of Downtown and still have a very rural feel. You won't need to move to a surrounding county where your children's friends could be miles apart.

People are surprised to learn that our economy is stable---not booming, but stable---it didn't decline during this recession. Property values retained value, foreclosure rates are almost nonexistent compared to the rest of the country, and our regional sales (overall sales of goods and services) never slumped.

Not being a boom town is what made Pittsburgh so stable. I'm almost hesitant to recommend it because I fear too many people will come here! LOL

Seriously check out Pittsburgh. Post a thread in the Pittsburgh forum, read the links and links, and definitely google Pittsburgh's economy in the news.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
wow, talk about overgeneralizations. that might be true of scranton, but not for all of eastern pennsylvania. and the bust has bput the breaks on proeprty price hikes in eastern pa. I think you're manipulating facts. Sure, lancaster county has new yorkers relocating there but it also has Philadelphians relocating there.
There are a lot of Washington DC and Baltimore people saturating Eastern Pennsylvania too.

Quote:
I would say NJ's high taxes are causing people to jump the border. I wouldn't rule it out based on your oversimplified criteria, not that the OP shouldn't look at Pitt.
People are jumping the border into Eastern Pennsylvania from NJ, NYC (long island, etc.), Maryland and Virginia.

Quote:
Pittsburgh is where you should put your focus. my retired parents are living in lancaster county, though they are considering harrisburg since it's more active. I actually think Pittsburgh would fit them quite well if it were closer. Of course, they are city people and high apartment prices in Philly are keeping them out...since they rent another property elsewhere. that said, there are plenty of nice suburbs in the Philly area that would fit the OP's needs. he's gonna work FT, not be retired FT.
Pittsburgh's economy is doing better than Philadelphia's though. The cost of living is lower in Pittsburgh too.

I'm not downing Philadelphia, but the OP did come here worrying about cost of living and taxes.

Pittsburgh meets his criteria.

Old 12-10-2009, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by touretteboy65 View Post
Thanks!!! If there's one thing I will take away from living in Florida is witnessing the "boom towns" that have crashed and burned. This state has been raped and pillaged by developers and politicians. Subdivision after subdivision abandoned or neglected, and full of renters that could care less what their neighborhood looks like. It's a real shame. I'm sure you've read accounts of just how bad things have become here in Florida. I'm very concerned about the well being of my family and I've made the decision to cut my career here short to move us out of here. At least I'll be leaving with a pension, so the job that I will find in another part of the nation will not be our sole source of income. VA is beautiful, but I'm not thrilled that they tax my $$$ before I get it. I'll start my research with your suggestions. Thanks again.
Right off the bat you save money moving to Pennsylvania because your pension won't be taxed in Pennsylvania.

btw, I had edited my previoius post to include more tax information. That's why it's showing up after your post.

Read the edited post above and you'll find a lot more information comparing Virginia taxes to Pennsylania. Sorry for the confusion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania