U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2006, 10:15 PM

14 posts, read 52,161 times

Advertisements

Thanks I am dealing with housebuilders in Effort so I am looking for a good neighborhood to build. I definitely want a safe area to to raise kids and for my wife to be safe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2006, 10:24 PM

26,450 posts, read 46,879,438 times
Effort is a MUCH safer, quieter area. It might add an extra 20-25 minutes onto your commute, but the rewards you reap in the way of serenity and peace are well worth the extra "effort" (Pun intended...LOL!) Good luck!

Old 07-25-2006, 02:34 AM

82 posts, read 423,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enviroman
If you aren't looking to remain ultra-close to NYC, you'll find better school systems (albeit with higher taxes) closer to Philadelphia. From my experience, life in the Scranton area is the antipode of life in the Philadelphia/NYC area (like how I did that?).

SWB has given you a good overview of life in NE PA, but if you want info on SE or SC PA, I can try and help.
OK, that nearly killed me! Kudos!

Old 07-25-2006, 02:38 AM

82 posts, read 423,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre
If you have any further concerns or questions, feel free to ask!
ScrantonWilkesBarre, I feel like I should pay you for such a report. Thank you!

I'm not really married to the idea of being near NYC. (Actually, truth be told, we are leaving in great part to escape the attitude and types of people around here.)

I had hear that Pittsburgh has really had something of a rennaissance. True?

Old 07-25-2006, 09:21 AM

158 posts, read 604,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antipode12
ScrantonWilkesBarre, I feel like I should pay you for such a report. Thank you!

I'm not really married to the idea of being near NYC. (Actually, truth be told, we are leaving in great part to escape the attitude and types of people around here.)

I had hear that Pittsburgh has really had something of a rennaissance. True?
I've been to Pittsburgh a few times...it's ok, I guess. As absolutely intolerant as this sounds, I'm not one for "countryfolk." While you'll certainly find urban/surburban people in the city, I found that Pittsburgh still smacks of "country." However, Carnegie Mellon and UPitt do infuse the city with some culture and there are some decent corporations there. It is a steel town and blue collar-ness can still be felt all throughout the city.

Old 07-30-2008, 09:07 PM

1 posts, read 1,742 times
I live in Bushkill, PA (Outside Of Stroudsburg). Saw Creek Estates to be exact. The crime here is ridiculous. My next door neighbor Camron is in jail for murder right now. There is a drug raid every other week. People think being inside a gated community is safe, well it's not. It keeps the criminals in and the police out.

Old 08-01-2008, 04:44 AM

Location: South Heidelberg Township, Berks County, Pennsylvania
20 posts, read 83,123 times
Since Pennsylvania does not tax pensions, I think you will find a large elderly population in the Commonwealth. Probably your best bet for a young, vibrant area is the larger cities. I agree with Enviroman in regard to Pittsburgh. The residents are a bit "folksy" but that is not necessarily bad, either. Generally, I have found Pittsburghers to be friendlier than residents of most large cities. I think the biggest drawback to Pittsburgh is the geography makes it a bit challenging for new comers to get around. There are the mountains, three rivers and tunnels. It is much easier, for example, to learn how to get around Phoenix.

I currently live in Berks County, near Reading. The city itself has a reputation for high crime but I believe the crime is mostly drug and gang related. Housing is very affordable which is drawing many people from larger, urban areas. Reading also has a very large Hispanic population.

Good luck with your decision to relocate.

Old 08-01-2008, 11:21 PM

26,450 posts, read 46,879,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbanize View Post
I live in Bushkill, PA (Outside Of Stroudsburg). Saw Creek Estates to be exact. The crime here is ridiculous. My next door neighbor Camron is in jail for murder right now. There is a drug raid every other week. People think being inside a gated community is safe, well it's not. It keeps the criminals in and the police out.
My partner lives just north of Lehman Pointe, and he said that crime in there is on the rise as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania