Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2007, 04:22 PM

199 posts, read 712,526 times

Advertisements

Well, after spending twice the time I expected in PA househunting, I found our place in Gallitzin. Tiny town of around 1800 people. Good schools, close enough to Altoona for my son to find work or go back to school. Got a 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom, formal dining room, lovely view, large kitchen and bedrooms with a full basement and garage for $92,000. My nearest neighbors are behind me and it is a centuries old graveyard. Love the house, it has well over a half of an acre and I am dying to get there. One problem, the entire time I stayed in Altoona, I only found one decent place to eat and that was Tim's American Cafe on Crawford. Anyplace else that is decent? Tried both Mexican places and they cannot compare to any in SoCal. So I guess I make my own (which I do very well). 6 weeks and we will be there!! Good bye SOCal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2007, 08:17 PM

23 posts, read 141,105 times
Unfortunately, some (not all) of the ethnic food in PA is lacking. Not in Altoona area, but while we were in the Pgh area my husband was loving the Italian and German specialities. Along w/ the beer. Just my $.02 from a former Californian.

Old 05-22-2007, 08:17 PM

518 posts, read 2,532,028 times
the strip by the mall in altoona has the major chain restaurants

Old 05-22-2007, 08:31 PM

1,932 posts, read 4,792,815 times
Default Congrats!!

Welcome back to Cambria County!! You'll be close to Altoona for sure. Lots of chain restaurants along Business 220 in Altoona. I know in Johnstown there's Ray Azteca and Santoyo's that are good non-chain restaurants. Don't know about in Altoona. There's the Allegro, but that's Italian

Old 05-16-2009, 02:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcorrales View Post
Well, after spending twice the time I expected in PA househunting, I found our place in Gallitzin. Tiny town of around 1800 people. Good schools, close enough to Altoona for my son to find work or go back to school. Got a 4 bedroom, 3 bathroom, formal dining room, lovely view, large kitchen and bedrooms with a full basement and garage for $92,000. My nearest neighbors are behind me and it is a centuries old graveyard. Love the house, it has well over a half of an acre and I am dying to get there. One problem, the entire time I stayed in Altoona, I only found one decent place to eat and that was Tim's American Cafe on Crawford. Anyplace else that is decent? Tried both Mexican places and they cannot compare to any in SoCal. So I guess I make my own (which I do very well). 6 weeks and we will be there!! Good bye SOCal.
I was just there yesterday, I have a lot of family there and a ton of history. I love that place.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:33 PM

93 posts, read 325,691 times
Hoss's is good restaurant, though it is not Mexican food. Mainly salad, steak, and soup. They are all over the area.

Old 05-16-2009, 06:38 PM

45,390 posts, read 60,575,206 times
Is Herculiani's still open there?

Old 05-17-2009, 06:17 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,824 times
There are a lot of places in Altoona to eat...but it depends on what you are looking for. You also have a few small places around you...Pirates Cove may still be there and that is around Glendale Lake. Oddly Uncle Phils General Store as good fried chicken. (at least it used to)...Double K around the lake has good ice cream and you can get "bar" type food there that is good. I like the fries) Central Bar in Coalport (hole in the wall) has great pizza that is available on the weekends.
In Altoona you have all the chains like Eat N Park, Cracker Barrel, Hoss's, Granny's, Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Applebees and so forth. (there is Outback and Ruby Tuesdays as well)
Allergro does have Italian. Dave's Dream is in Hollidaysburg and it is good. Al's Tavern has great bar food and is a pretty popular hang out. Good wings. Tim's Cafe is good. Personally I like to eat at Sheetz, lol! Easy and fast and cheap.
good luck. I lived in both Coalport and Altoona so if you have any questions, please let me know.

Old 05-19-2009, 01:21 PM

93 posts, read 325,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinmma View Post
There are a lot of places in Altoona to eat...but it depends on what you are looking for. You also have a few small places around you...Pirates Cove may still be there and that is around Glendale Lake. Oddly Uncle Phils General Store as good fried chicken. (at least it used to)...Double K around the lake has good ice cream and you can get "bar" type food there that is good. I like the fries) Central Bar in Coalport (hole in the wall) has great pizza that is available on the weekends.
In Altoona you have all the chains like Eat N Park, Cracker Barrel, Hoss's, Granny's, Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Applebees and so forth. (there is Outback and Ruby Tuesdays as well)
Allergro does have Italian. Dave's Dream is in Hollidaysburg and it is good. Al's Tavern has great bar food and is a pretty popular hang out. Good wings. Tim's Cafe is good. Personally I like to eat at Sheetz, lol! Easy and fast and cheap.
good luck. I lived in both Coalport and Altoona so if you have any questions, please let me know.
Ruby Tuesday is closed in Altoona now.

Old 05-19-2009, 04:24 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,315,824 times
Not shocking...the economy is so bad!
Is Kings still open?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania