Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2010, 11:51 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,504,937 times

Advertisements

Any city is going to have brick walls and courtyards, but that doesn't work when you have 1/4 to an acre piece of property.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 01:35 PM

323 posts, read 834,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toobusytoday View Post
Any city is going to have brick walls and courtyards, but that doesn't work when you have 1/4 to an acre piece of property.
That is more than enough in the South.

Old 01-06-2010, 05:49 AM

67 posts, read 198,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bethany12 View Post
Throughout NC and SC. I spent a lot of time in the Charleston area but never lived there. Brick wall courtyards were the norm.
We love Charleston, such a beautiful old city.
A house without fencing won't deter us from purchasing. We'll just have to budget for that expense. It just strikes us as unusual to have so few fenced yards.

Old 01-08-2010, 01:45 AM

99 posts, read 317,611 times
Default Hello

When I was a teen I came out to Beaver County PA to visit my uncle back in 1984. I was born there but I grew up in San Diego. One day my uncle asked me to walk down to the convenience store and get us something to drink. When I returned he asked what took me so long? I said what do you mean? He said you should not have taken that long, which way did you walk? I said well I walked down to that corner and turn right then I walked a few more blocks down the street and turned right again towards the store. So then he says follow me, and he starts to walk thru peoples yards and I was in shock, I kept looking around waiting for a dog to attack or someone with a shot gun to come running out. Remember I grew up in a big city. There were people sitting in rocking chairs in their back yards and they would just smile and wave as we walked thru their property. We made it to the store in like 2 minutes.

So I can relate to the surprise on not seeing any fences.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:09 AM

1,063 posts, read 2,461,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashingsucks View Post
When I was a teen I came out to Beaver County PA to visit my uncle back in 1984. I was born there but I grew up in San Diego. One day my uncle asked me to walk down to the convenience store and get us something to drink. When I returned he asked what took me so long? I said what do you mean? He said you should not have taken that long, which way did you walk? I said well I walked down to that corner and turn right then I walked a few more blocks down the street and turned right again towards the store. So then he says follow me, and he starts to walk thru peoples yards and I was in shock, I kept looking around waiting for a dog to attack or someone with a shot gun to come running out. Remember I grew up in a big city. There were people sitting in rocking chairs in their back yards and they would just smile and wave as we walked thru their property. We made it to the store in like 2 minutes.

So I can relate to the surprise on not seeing any fences.
Your uncle had a lot of nerve. I wish I could afford to fence my yard in, even just partially.

Old 01-10-2010, 06:04 PM

2,193 posts, read 5,800,958 times
Simple, we're friendly and like to know our neighbors. Quite frankly, I'm just as shocked when I head down south and to see so many yards fenced in.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:52 AM

67 posts, read 198,680 times
We're friendly here, too, and know and like our neighbors. Most of our neighbors also have dogs, so the fencing is a must. I guess when we move back to PA we'll be the oddball neighbors with a fence. Hope noone holds it against us.

Old 01-11-2010, 06:10 AM

10,207 posts, read 17,857,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clem16 View Post
We've been doing a little house-hunting in the Altoona area and one thing struck us as odd. Very, very few houses have fenced backyards. What do you do when you just want to let the dogs out for a quick potty break? Or you want to spend the afternoon gardening and want the dogs with you to romp and play?
You train the dogs to respect the boundaries of the yard. Fences (invisible or otherwise) are for unruly dogs that can't be trained. Growing up, we had a mutt that was untrainable and yeah, it was impossible to keep her contained in the yard, she was always running away. But then we got a full breed Newfoundland and she was very trainable... everyday my mom walked her around the edges of our yard, teaching her that this is the boundary. She never, not once, left the boundaries of our yard unless we gave her a release command.

Also, one of our neighbors had a very high energy dog but he was an excellent dog trainer and his dog never left it's yard. When you walked passed his house, the dog would get so excited and coming running at you at full speed. You really thought the dog was going to knock you over... but then it got close to the edge of the yard and slammed on the breaks, coming to a stop right in front of you but never leaving the yard. It was like the guy had an invisible fence but he didn't - not only did the dog not have that kind of collar but I think it was also before invisible fences were available.

So unless you have untrainable dogs, simply train them to remain in the yard. My mom learned how to do it from a training video she bought. Here's a simply step by step guide too: How to Train Your Dog to Stay in Your Yard | eHow.com

Old 01-11-2010, 08:46 AM

10,227 posts, read 16,810,254 times
Quote:
We're friendly here, too, and know and like our neighbors. Most of our neighbors also have dogs, so the fencing is a must. I guess when we move back to PA we'll be the oddball neighbors with a fence. Hope noone holds it against us.
that seems unlikely. people have dogs in PA as well. I'd imagine it's to keep the south carolina folk out of your yard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ecam22
Your uncle had a lot of nerve. I wish I could afford to fence my yard in, even just partially.
why because he knew his neighbors? seriously, what's wrong with you people. no wonder this country is going down the pooper.

fences are ugly as sin, they aren't necessary for most dogs. but yes, go ahead, put up a six foot fence, don't talk to your neighbors, watch your tv, and then act surprised when you wake up and have lost all your freedoms, don't know anyone around you.

Old 01-11-2010, 04:31 PM

323 posts, read 834,820 times
Quote:
True Southerners are the friendliest people (and they have manners!!!!). It's not the same up here (as you can see from the posts).

Besides Charleston, I loved Clemson. I was 5 min from the lakes and about 20 min from the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania