Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 10:01 PM

4 posts, read 11,398 times

Advertisements

I am a cyclist and I am wondering what is a good town to live in PA where I could enjoy the local roads and perhaps join a club.

Any advice would be appreciated...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 11:28 AM

323 posts, read 831,283 times
Depends on what type of cycling. Are you into pro cycling or just out for exercise/social?

Old 01-05-2010, 12:58 PM

9,846 posts, read 22,579,247 times
PA has tons of rails to trails all over the state. All the trails I have seen are hard packed with fine gravel and mostly level as they were formerly railroads. Perfect for biking. Quite a few are very scenic, long(70 miles plus), and have stops along the way with food or lodging.

I never bike on roads as I consider that a form of assisted suicide. Especially here in PA with all the tight roads, bends and blind corners. It's not me I worry about but all the other nitwits with their coal truck or concrete truck.

Old 01-06-2010, 07:28 AM

3,164 posts, read 6,669,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrb View Post
I am a cyclist and I am wondering what is a good town to live in PA where I could enjoy the local roads and perhaps join a club.

Any advice would be appreciated...
I'm a cyclist too, mostly off road, but my wife does not like mountain biking so we urban bike and rail trail together. We travel all over the commonwealth for pleasure and I can't think of one town that stands out over any other. There are lots of great books available in Barnes and Noble and Borders about cycling in PA.

Old 01-06-2010, 08:53 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,917,978 times
Jharrb, the cycling scene down in Trexlertown near the Valley Preferred Cycling Center velodrome is awesome! There are constant group rides for all abilities, and the Rodale Cycling & Fitness Park across the street from the velodrome is an awesome place to ride w/o worrying about traffic.

I'm a member of this club:
Lehigh Wheelmen Association
but there are so many different clubs to choose from.

There are also rail-trails and mountain biking in the area as well.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:25 PM

4 posts, read 11,398 times
Default Cycling in Pa

Thanks guys! Some people also suggested Blue Bell and Lancaster county. Any thoughts?

Old 01-22-2010, 09:06 PM

1,263 posts, read 4,917,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrb View Post
Thanks guys! Some people also suggested Blue Bell and Lancaster county. Any thoughts?
Beautiful area!!! Lots of bicycles there too. PA is a wonderful place for cyclists

Old 01-22-2010, 10:30 PM

889 posts, read 2,559,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_s View Post
Jharrb, the cycling scene down in Trexlertown near the Valley Preferred Cycling Center velodrome is awesome! There are constant group rides for all abilities, and the Rodale Cycling & Fitness Park across the street from the velodrome is an awesome place to ride w/o worrying about traffic.

I'm a member of this club:
Lehigh Wheelmen Association
but there are so many different clubs to choose from.

There are also rail-trails and mountain biking in the area as well.
What she said. And I'd also add State College as a sort of road bicycling hub.

Old 01-24-2010, 02:07 AM

135 posts, read 385,687 times
Try around the Brookeville, Parker,Emlenton, Clarion areas as well great back roads to go cycling and located close to a great rails to trails that goes from oil city to Emlenton and it follows the Allegheny River and goes thru 2 old rail road tunnels that are both over half a mile long.

Old 07-19-2010, 05:56 AM

5,439 posts, read 16,800,371 times
What is the town of Trexlertown like itself? I see a lot of very nice looking apartments going up right next to the velodrome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania