Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2006, 03:34 PM

183 posts, read 1,263,323 times

Advertisements

I need info. on Springfield (Delaware co.) and King of prussia area. I heard that they both have good school districts and low crime. The one negative thing I heard about King of Prussia area is traffic!!! How are the property taxes, schools, crime, shopping, affordable housing, things to do. And how is the car insurance rates are they as high as Jersey. We are moving out of Florida to far from family and to hot. My husband builds homes and I dont know if there is a good job market in those area for him. Living in Florida there are houses going up everywhere you turn. Everything is new where we live its a young town. Are those areas very old looking and run down? I have 2 teenage daughters and living so close to phily might concern me. And info. would help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2006, 03:37 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,585,480 times
Why are you concerned about living close to Philly?

Old 07-25-2006, 04:20 PM

158 posts, read 814,276 times
I live about 2 minutes from Springfield, so I'll do my best to answer your questions:

Property taxes are pretty high. House prices are also pretty high. You're looking at $250k for a 3 bedroom 1 bath. Still, it'll be a cute house (probably brick).

The school system is above-average, for sure. It's not in the same league as some of the other districts in the county (Radnor, Lower Merion, Strath Haven) but it's better than average.

It's a suburb in every sense. Very little crime.

Springfield is a pretty large place, but most (if not all) of it is nice. I would say it's an upper-middle class neighborhood. There are 2 Wal-Marts within 3-4 miles, a Target, a BJs (wholesale warehouse store), a 2 floor mall, etc.

-------------------

King of Prussia

I've been there many times, so let me tell you what I can.

You're looking at closer to $300k for a 3 BR home in KOP. Again, it's a nice, upper-middle class burb. It is home to one of the best malls on the east coast.

Traffic can be a horror on I-76 in rush hour. 202 can also be a terror...honestly, I couldn't handle doing that sort of drive every day.

KOP has the Upper Merion SD. It's not nearly as nice as Lower Merion. It's actually a step below Springfield, IMHO.

Both of these towns are burbs of Philly so work shouldn't be hard to find...

Hope this helps!

Old 07-25-2006, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig
Why are you concerned about living close to Philly?
I grew up in South Jersey and have been living Outside of Orlando Florida for 18 years and I know phily has a lot of problems with gangs and crimes. I've taken my kids to phily a couple of times but I would not want 2 teenage girls going out on their own in Phily. Living so close they may try and venture out with friends.

Old 07-25-2006, 08:08 PM

thanks for the info. enviroman

Old 07-25-2006, 08:55 PM

2,269 posts, read 7,585,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom4
I grew up in South Jersey and have been living Outside of Orlando Florida for 18 years and I know phily has a lot of problems with gangs and crimes. I've taken my kids to phily a couple of times but I would not want 2 teenage girls going out on their own in Phily. Living so close they may try and venture out with friends.
That makes me sad. Center City Philly is great and relatively safe. I don't know if your girls are in their early or late teens, but you "can't keep them on the farm" forever. What happens if they want to go to college in a big city?

Old 07-25-2006, 09:03 PM

158 posts, read 814,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig
That makes me sad. Center City Philly is great and relatively safe. I don't know if your girls are in their early or late teens, but you "can't keep them on the farm" forever. What happens if they want to go to college in a big city?
Philly has problems with gangs in certain areas...but, yeah, areas like Center City tend to be fairly safe. Common sense goes a long way in the city.

Old 07-25-2006, 10:29 PM

179 posts, read 1,066,810 times
both areas are good can't really go wrong in either area. springfiled is closer to philly but KoP is right off the main highway. Plus center city philly is a good time lots of everything and its' just as safe there as anywhere. been there hundreds of times never any problems. Common sence does go along way!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania